A10 Men's Tourney Thread

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning from the Big Apple, The World’s Greatest City, The City That Never Sleeps. Taj, the Cleveland Doc, AdMan and yours truly are or will be here, again reconvening the SLU Posse.

SLU is a 4 point favorite over Mason, o140.5. Oduro at 6’9” is a load. I think SLU has to double down on Oduro, dare Mason to make 3’s. If Mason gets hot, SLU has to come out and guard them. Getting Oduro in foul trouble, which happens, is a big key. 

SLU is 4 point favorite over Mason. Fordham is 5 point favorite over LaSalle. o for both games is 140.5. VCU -6.5 over Davidson, o135. Dayton -10.5 over St. Joe's, o135.5.
3 Jesuit teams and 5 Catholic schools made the 8 quarter finalists. 

Word is Fordham is bringing down to Brooklyn 3 bus loads of students from The Bronx. 

Philly, St. Joe's and LaSalle, the 10 and 11 Seeds, both emerging from the Tues. pillow fight round, have crashed the quarterfinals.

Late last night I recognized and talked to the Big East Refs downstairs at our hotel. I said, “The Refs are here.” They laughed. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Lots of talk about how the brand of basketball plus the cold Temps inside the Barclay's is leading to poor shooting. Get Oduro in foul trouble and this will be a blowout

Re brand, I’ve seen a lot of East Coast Bus League, half court chess match ball, with coaching control. I’d love to see SLU come out and throw some West Coast up and down, play fast ball at these plodders. The good Billikens can do that, play better in the fast lane. 

billikenbill likes this

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Re brand, I’ve seen a lot of East Coast Bus League, half court chess match ball, with coaching control. I’d love to see SLU come out and throw some West Coast up and down, play fast ball at these plodders. The good Billikens can do that, play better in the fast lane. 

You’re more likely to see our Midwest brand - play in the fast lane for 35 minutes, and then slow down to the tortoise crawl for the last 5.

Oduro is what he is.  He is no less than the second best player in the A-10 imo (toss a coin vs Holmes) not a lot we can do about it.  oduro is a bad match up for us, but i would let hargrove's athleticism guard him.  if pickett must play let him be hargroves BRIEF rest and same for perkins.   hargroves athletic advantage might create the fouls that oduro is prone to commit.  Im not about hargrove necessarily shooting free throws as seeing oduro spend 15 minutes on the bench.   that would be glorious.

i say the game will come down to the two point guards.   the all conference defensive guard yuri needs to show up.  If he does not and polite outscores him, we lose.  hopefully we run the entire game and defensive yuri shows up.   

as usual this one probably will go to the wire.  

CenHudDude likes this

Oduro is good and he's probably a bad match-up for anyone but I think we match-up awfully well everywhere else on the court. For some reason, George Mason has never caused me much fear. Kim English may be Travis Ford lite

In our match up earlier this season, Victor Bailey (11.8 ppg) played but Ticket Gaines (7.3 ppg) was on the shelf.  This time Gaines will play but Bailey is on the shelf.  Bailey is a 47% 3 FG shooter, and Gaines a 35% 3 FG shooter.  Patriot player availability advantage to the Bills.

16 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-in the LaS-Duq game there was a ref, we've had him, he can't keep up which leads to bad positions, I understand the number of conf tournaments happening but for him to be reffing this time of year is quite amazing, so he'll do our game today

We’ll probably get a ref with sunglasses, a white cane, and a seeing eye dog…

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In our match up earlier this season, Victor Bailey (11.8 ppg) played but Ticket Gaines (7.3 ppg) was on the shelf.  This time Gaines will play but Bailey is on the shelf.  Bailey is a 47% 3 FG shooter, and Gaines a 35% 3 FG shooter.  Patriot player availability advantage to the Bills.

On the flip side Gaines is maybe their best defender.