Transfers - 2023

ACE

New Rules, from Field of 68 Daily

1. NCAA tightens transfer window, grad rules, tweaks coaching calendar

Changes are coming to the transfer window. And to the recruiting calendar. And to social media (kinda, I’ll explain later). And most of it makes sense, which is a welcome change from some of the usual NCAA moves.

The NCAA Division I Council approved multiple changes on Wednesday, the most significant of which applies to when student-athletes can enter the transfer portal. They had 60 days this year. In 2024, it’ll be just over six weeks.

The NCAA noted that 61% of student-athletes who transferred did so within the first 30 days. There were reports that the NCAA would move it to 30 days. That wasn’t the case.

"We had every argument for 30 days," one source told CBS Sports. "Men's basketball was against [45]. ... The men's basketball student-athlete engagement group favored a 30-day window after the second round."

The portal still opens the day after Selection Sunday — the one aspect that still needs revised given many teams are preparing for the NCAA Tournament, the NIT or the CBI. Not only should the attention be on those events, but it’s also a challenge for the coaches to prep their teams and spend time on the portal.

Another important change: Grad transfers can’t make a move anytime they want.

The council also heard from the Legislative Committee on an update to graduate transfer waiver guidelines. The Legislative Committee noted that notification-of-transfer deadlines of May 1 for fall and winter sports and July 1 for spring sports apply to graduate transfers transferring for the first time, and that beginning in 2024-25, graduate students seeking waivers for postgraduate eligibility will need to comply with those same deadlines.

The council expressed support for the current transfer waiver guidelines for student-athletes who have transferred multiple times as undergraduate students.

It’s unclear if this will apply to student-athletes taking summer school courses to graduate.

As for the recruiting calendar, the April evaluation period is gone. That’s now a time when coaches can focus on the transfer portal. It’s a major change (and one the coaches pushed for). The June recruiting weekends are likely to stay in place, per CBS Sports.

Coaches are still waiting for that true “dead period” so they aren’t working year round, but that’ll have to wait until 2025.

Lastly, the NCAA says no more photoshoots for prospective recruits. Where that leaves the the Joe Tiptons of the world (and people like me, searching for images during the long, slow summer), I don’t know. But I’m guessing we’ll see some ingenuity emerge. Maybe this is where AI takes over.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an attempt (feeble or not) to reign in some of the new madness.  I don't have a problem with any of it but I am sure it will negatively impact some poor soul alogn the way and the usual outrage will ensue.  

cgeldmacher likes this

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/17/ncaa-tez-walker-north-carolina/

Washington Post editorial about NCAA bungling Tez Walker transfer.  The author agrees with me the NCAA is already dead.  He calls it a zombie.  SLU better be ready for a post NCAA world. 

billiken_roy likes this

On 8/11/2023 at 1:53 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Just saw this come across.  SLU could really benefit from having Akok.  They need a big presence to fill the void inside.  It is a bummer they no longer have the flexibility to fit Akok.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/west-virginias-akok-akok-stable-responsive-after-collapsing-during-game-vs-george-mason-153257337.html

2 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

There might be 500 people here 

It's an exhibition on a Sunday afternoon with City SC playoff in town tonight, NFL is on, and it's been raining/overcast all day. Don't read too much into this one.

gabriel and MariaReynolds like this

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

It's an exhibition on a Sunday afternoon with City SC playoff in town tonight, NFL is on, and it's been raining/overcast all day. Don't read too much into this one.

These two exhibitition have been the worst attended in 30+ years.  Typically there is 2-3k in attendance, sometimes more.  We started playing games a lot later in the year 20+ years ago as well and the weather was worse.  This was nothing, drizzling rain.

28 minutes ago, thetorch said:

These two exhibitition have been the worst attended in 30+ years.  Typically there is 2-3k in attendance, sometimes more.  We started playing games a lot later in the year 20+ years ago as well and the weather was worse.  This was nothing, drizzling rain.

I still think you're underestimating just how dreary it's been metro wide today. Add in the cold and other distractions and I'm not really flustered.

AGB91 likes this

33 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I still think you're underestimating just how dreary it's been metro wide today. Add in the cold and other distractions and I'm not really flustered.

I agree, I’m not that worried yet. However, Nov 6th, things get real. Number of people in seats matters, revenue driven by that matters. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I am glad today's youngsters got to experience attendance wise what us students during eckertime in the late 70's and early 80's had to endure every game.

That said this ford team would beat Ecker every game so you're not getting exactly the same effect 

Bizziken likes this

don't feel like scrolling up 2 c name again, but really what team higher up than us would expect folks to come out their team play them. not tohijack but didn't want separate thread; we were talking about diluting importance of regular season well now. the NBA is doing what soccer has been doing the in season tournament. NBA starts next Friday. I. wasn't that thrilled with the MSL version.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

“Any changes that are adopted in the 2023-24 school year would only apply to athletes seeking eligibility for the 2024-25 year.”

——-

I was hoping for some good news that may help us this year, but appears to not be the case

15 minutes ago, gabriel said:

“Any changes that are adopted in the 2023-24 school year would only apply to athletes seeking eligibility for the 2024-25 year.”

——-

I was hoping for some good news that may help us this year, but appears to not be the case

The Division I Board of Directors on Wednesday charged NCAA staff and committees to review existing transfer rules and waiver guidelines and consider potential modifications to improve the efficiency of the waiver process, including increasing, where possible, objectivity of criteria.