GDT: VCU, Why are basketball players so excited to make it to the last hole in golf?

SluSignGuy

9 hours ago, Fraz said:

This was a game Thatch would’ve been effective in.  He would’ve had a crack at guarding Baldwin and it couldn’t  have been worse than what Yuri brought.

But yes, throw him in there a month after tearing his knee up.  That’s exactly what I meant 

Just by coincidence I happened to walk off the court side by side with Fred last night.  I guarantee he was thinking exactly what you are stating…..the look on his face….

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, wgstl said:

just realized there still people who after the last 2 games still don’t see that there’s a major problem with ford. 

Honestly I've been ignoring the hell out of Ford the last few games and mostly focusing on the players. The losses almost seem palatable that way.

11 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I admit I was not in St Louis for the Majerus years, but my recollection was Porter did a lot of the post games

this is correct.    i think some may be misremembering that the rickma radio time was not typically post game but the weekday billiken radio shows more times than post game.

11 hours ago, dlarry said:

An obvious question tonight would have been “why didn’t you try ANYTHING else on Baldwin” 

my bigger problem with the game last night was what seemed to be an effort to play "his way" again.   he started the game running collins to a corner and standing there while first perkins then pickett again pretended to be point guards.   we again slow trotted the ball down the court, did our standard 3 handoff weave, got the shot clock under 10 seconds, then forced up some piece of dung shot.   we fall behind then give collins the ball we play fast on offense get a few great scores, force a couple of turnovers turning aggression up.

then we would go back to the start and repeat the above.   we did that all night long.   GD it.  cant we just once play the entire game fast on both ends?   why the piss poor results to play hoosier's (the movie, not our hof mbm) ball?

there were a lot of low points we can point to for the result last night, but imo the above was the biggest problem........again.

Does it really matter who does the post game comments?  Nobody is going to ask the real hard questions anyway much less answer them. You don’t need the coach to soft shoe what you just watched. As Charlie Chan would tell his Number One Son - Confucius say fish rots from the head down. 

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Does it really matter who does the post game comments?  Nobody is going to ask the real hard questions anyway much less answer them. You don’t need the coach to soft shoe what you just watched. As Charlie Chan would tell his Number One Son - Confucius say fish rots from the head down. 

I think it matters a little.  For instance, if you are a leader who goes to the public during times of glory, you should go to the public in times of defeat.  I think this especially applies when a selling point of Ford is that he is better glad handling the media more than any coach since Spoon.  Additionally, it rubbed me at least the wrong way last season when he would place a little too much blame on players than own some of his own mistakes.  In defense of Ford, no other coach has had their press conferences broadcast (largely due to technical reasons) - and he shows up to these.

Admittedly, part of my opinion is that if you are being paid very well to do a job that includes publicity, you need to take the good with the bad.  As that public aspect of the job is a key reason why you are getting paid so much.  

12 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I think it matters a little.  For instance, if you are a leader who goes to the public during times of glory, you should go to the public in times of defeat.  I think this especially applies when a selling point of Ford is that he is better glad handling the media more than any coach since Spoon.  Additionally, it rubbed me at least the wrong way last season when he would place a little too much blame on players than own some of his own mistakes.  In defense of Ford, no other coach has had their press conferences broadcast (largely due to technical reasons) - and he shows up to these.

Admittedly, part of my opinion is that if you are being paid very well to do a job that includes publicity, you need to take the good with the bad.  As that public aspect of the job is a key reason why you are getting paid so much.  

In a perfect world you are correct but we aren’t there. Ford will always have an excuse that is not probably on him. I am sick of him saying the team is not playing for each other. Whose fault is that - HIS.  I think we all credited Ford with qualities that he really didn’t possess. RM hated post game interviews and glad handing but he gave us a quality product and after all that is what we all want not some guy trying to convince us that we didn’t see what we saw.  

Schasz likes this

Carter hits on a lot of good/common issues in his open: https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1PlJQpkLzyXGE

His NBA analogies woof— no mention of Kawhi during the Raptors coaching thing pretty funny 

Relayed that during post-game Ford said “he’s given too much trust to some guys and they’re too relaxed late”— almost an embarrassing observation to make, given the amount of times we’ve seen this before. Polar opposite of the ‘12-14 group at the end of big games. Our experience doesn’t seem to count for anything 

Someone in this thread mentioned Forrester not returning to the game after he got his 4th foul— that was bad. Wonder if anyone asked Ford about it 

Baldwin— he was raining long 2s. He’s not an especially tall guard where “shooting over Yuri” is as easy as someone made it sound. Yea maybe throw someone else at him, but he was hitting shots we wanted him to take, just unconscious 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Carter hits on a lot of good/common issues in his open: https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1PlJQpkLzyXGE

His NBA analogies woof— no mention of Kawhi during the Raptors coaching thing pretty funny 

Relayed that during post-game Ford said “he’s given too much trust to some guys and they’re too relaxed late”— almost an embarrassing observation to make, given the amount of times we’ve seen this before. Polar opposite of the ‘12-14 group at the end of big games. Our experience doesn’t seem to count for anything 

Someone in this thread mentioned Forrester not returning to the game after he got his 4th foul— that was bad. Wonder if anyone asked Ford about it 

Baldwin— he was raining long 2s. He’s not an especially tall guard where “shooting over Yuri” is as easy as someone made it sound. Yea maybe throw someone else at him, but he was hitting shots we wanted him to take, just unconscious 

Yes he was hitting shots. When you ate hot you usually stay hot. In my amateur coaching I say at half time I don’t care what you do but do not let Baldwin shoot the ball. Make him give it up. Double Triple team if necessary. If Kern was in the game you certainly didn’t need to guard him. As I said earlier the zone seemed to be working. If the game plan said make him shoot from deep you scrap the game plan at half. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes he was hitting shots. When you ate hot you usually stay hot. In my amateur coaching I say at half time I don’t care what you do but do not let Baldwin shoot the ball. Make him give it up. Double Triple team if necessary. If Kern was in the game you certainly didn’t need to guard him. As I said earlier the zone seemed to be working. If the game plan said make him shoot from deep you scrap the game plan at half. 

Yea I mean “don’t let their best player take shots” isn’t exactly rocket science from a coaching standpoint. I’m still giving him a bulk of the credit, and we still had a great chance to win if our offense didn’t implode late 

On 2/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, billiken_roy said:

my bigger problem with the game last night was what seemed to be an effort to play "his way" again.   he started the game running collins to a corner and standing there while first perkins then pickett again pretended to be point guards.   we again slow trotted the ball down the court, did our standard 3 handoff weave, got the shot clock under 10 seconds, then forced up some piece of dung shot.   we fall behind then give collins the ball we play fast on offense get a few great scores, force a couple of turnovers turning aggression up.

then we would go back to the start and repeat the above.   we did that all night long.   GD it.  cant we just once play the entire game fast on both ends?   why the piss poor results to play hoosier's (the movie, not our hof mbm) ball?

there were a lot of low points we can point to for the result last night, but imo the above was the biggest problem........again.

I agree. I’ve never understood why we weave. It does get player movement, but is totally predictable and just burns time. 

I’m beginning to think the biggest problem is a lack of talent.

A healthy Perkins could start on a top 25 team but he isn’t healthy. More than likely he comes off the bench as a offensive spark plug.

Other than that who on this team starts on a top 25 team? 

Maybe Collins if the team is loaded with scorers. 
The way Jimerson disappears for games at a time doesn’t have me believing he does.

Okoro…maybe because he’s big but he basically splits time here.

Hargrove… Nope 

Picket… He started for an awful SEC team but wouldn’t get minutes on a good one. 

Mix the lack of talent with bad coaching and you have the disaster we see twice a week. 

billikenbill likes this

@dlarry:  don't really dispute anything you say here in your evaluation but you are talking about a top 25 team, which we are surely not.  But as a team in the A10, an awful A10 at that, our talent level is above every other team and on an even par with Dayton and VCU.  Yes, it hasn't performed to our expectations but it is there. 

Outside of Holmes, Camara and Baldwin, there isn't a guy on those rosters I'd take in a straight up trade for one of our guys.  

23 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@dlarry:  don't really dispute anything you say here in your evaluation but you are talking about a top 25 team, which we are surely not.  But as a team in the A10, an awful A10 at that, our talent level is above every other team and on an even par with Dayton and VCU.  Yes, it hasn't performed to our expectations but it is there. 

Outside of Holmes, Camara and Baldwin, there isn't a guy on those rosters I'd take in a straight up trade for one of our guys.  

Of anyone on that roster who can go off in the A10 tourney Tremaine Isabell style, it’s Parker. Top JUCO scorer and knows how to finish…only played 9 minutes the other night. Understand that if he’s sick or injured…Ford himself even said Parker’s offense is so good that it it’s a plus vs defensive liability. So, when will he get more PT.

I also agree with Roy that this team is so athletic and deep that they need to push the tempo st every opportunity. Parker I’d the piece for that puzzle.

-so if we had 3 fouls to end the first half why didn't we try to disrupt? if the answer is there is no trust not to foul a 3pt shooter I accept that but then that leads us down another path

-why were the Tshirts at the Tshirt Toss blue when it was the Blizzard game?

-I am still befuddled as to why we didn't try something different on defending Ace

-Jake was having a nice game, either made a mistake and was getting yanked or Franco was at the table to give Jake a break, Jake scores a couple baskets, Franco goes back to the bench, I saw it coming as won a bet when Jake gets his 4th foul with 9.37 remaining with a 1pt lead, and doesn't return, why do we have assistant coaches, DBO's, grad assistants?

-the ADept calls it a sellout and we have 1,400 less than capacity with a bunch of tickets "purchased" in the last 36 hours? this has a fishy odor to it

-trying not to be bitter but it's not easy

7 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-why were the Tshirts at the Tshirt Toss blue when it was the Blizzard game?

-the ADept calls it a sellout and we have 1,400 less than capacity with a bunch of tickets "purchased" in the last 36 hours? this has a fishy odor to it

-trying not to be bitter but it's not easy

just my takes:  the sponsor of the "Blizzard was Edward Jones.  those t-shirts were on your chair.   (I assume you put your's on before the game started?)

most of the unused seats (1400 less than capacity) were in the high roller sections and i assumed were the usual no shows.  so the seats indeed were likely sold, just not used.   they are there most every game but were more noticed Friday due to the Blizzard effect of most seats filled with their white shirts on plus just the fact it was very near capacity.

understand your bitterness.   i would bet a lot of us are in the same boat.