Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is something to watch on the Gizzlies (not Grizzly)/Goodwin scene.

The Grizzlies have a number of PG's on the roster, including three on the injured list - Morrant, Smart and Bane.  Add Rose and Gilyard to the list, as well as Goodwin.  Gilyard's status is interesting. 

Two-way player Jacob Gilyard is closing in on his 50-game NBA limit for the season, ESPN’s Bobby Marks tweets. Gilyard had only three games remaining entering Monday’s action. He is not eligible to be on the active roster once he reaches 50 games, unless he signs a standard contract.

Gilyard played last night, so he has 2 games remaining.  It will be noteworthy as to how the Grizzlies handle Gilyard, as his place on the full roster might impact Goodwin. 

willie likes this

Am I missing something?  Grizzlies have a 9 game losing streak.  They bring in JG and give him some decent minutes, including a start, and win their next two games, including one over the Bucks.  Then, the very next game, JG doesn’t see the court, and they lose.  What’s wrong with their coach.

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Am I missing something?  Grizzlies have a 9 game losing streak.  They bring in JG and give him some decent minutes, including a start, and win their next two games, including one over the Bucks.  Then, the very next game, JG doesn’t see the court, and they lose.  What’s wrong with their coach.

There's a reason this team sucks.   

AGB91 likes this

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Memphis coach is an analytical egghead from Penn who may or not be a better basketball player than I am.  He sucks and he doesn't know ball.

The good news for Mr. Goodwin is that he is having a nice year financially.  The Nets pick up the rest of his guaranteed portion of his contract (from the Suns) and now the Grizzlies are paying nearly $250,000 combining his ten day contract with the prorated 2 way contract.  Mr. Goodwin will be paying income tax on well north of a million dollars.

i thought i read somewhere that both the suns and the nets were off the hook and goodwin was not going to get paid the original money for some reason.   maybe i dreamt that.   hope so.  i am not happy about the 2-way deal, but at least he's still in the nba.   i got a feeling he is down the bench or they would have given him a regular contract.   

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i thought i read somewhere that both the suns and the nets were off the hook and goodwin was not going to get paid the original money for some reason.   maybe i dreamt that.   hope so.  i am not happy about the 2-way deal, but at least he's still in the nba.   i got a feeling he is down the bench or they would have given him a regular contract.   

He was on the suns roster long enough his entire $1.9M for this season was guaranteed. He also gets a $325k option buyout for next season that was a part of the contract that was waived. 

Really odd he went from starting to DNP. I figured he was gone after that and was surprised he ended up on a two-way but I also thought maybe someone would claim him and pick up his minimum contract so what do I know. His interest was apparently pretty low given the 10-day and then two-way. I guess his shooting stats are killing him. 

I guess the DNP was caused by more Grizzlies on the 15-man roster returning from injury. They will play their contracted players in preference to Goodwin. There is not so much emphasis on winning as they have not much of hope of making playoffs. They already have 15 contracts so it's not an option to sign Goodwin on regular contract without releasing one of those 15. Gilyard had the same issue and he had run out of games a two-way player is allowed to play.

The two-way deal seems an OK deal to keep Goodwin playing and working on his game. He has done great to establish himself as NBA player, but needs to convince the league he has higher ceiling and earn a new deal. I believe he has three years of NBA service now, so he qualifies for some pension etc. If this is third year, it is the last season he qualifies for two-way contracts, so will need to earn a full contract somewhere next season.

33 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

I guess the DNP was caused by more Grizzlies on the 15-man roster returning from injury. They will play their contracted players in preference to Goodwin. There is not so much emphasis on winning as they have not much of hope of making playoffs. They already have 15 contracts so it's not an option to sign Goodwin on regular contract without releasing one of those 15. Gilyard had the same issue and he had run out of games a two-way player is allowed to play.

The two-way deal seems an OK deal to keep Goodwin playing and working on his game. He has done great to establish himself as NBA player, but needs to convince the league he has higher ceiling and earn a new deal. I believe he has three years of NBA service now, so he qualifies for some pension etc. If this is third year, it is the last season he qualifies for two-way contracts, so will need to earn a full contract somewhere next season.

Trade deadline is long past, I guess Memphis plays the players it needs to evaluate for next year at this point. They probably need to see how guys have recovered from injury, in order to determine a fair trade price or new contract offering in the off season.

• 1 month later...

I watched second half of the Memphis win at Milwaukee. I hadn't watched Goodwin play in a while but had seen his 3-pt % was fading, plus he only plays some of the games as Grizzlies need to slowly use up his maximum game allowance as (technically) a prorated two-way contract player. But last night it was clear how valuable he was. In the second half, he came onto the floor about midway through the third quarter and played the rest of the game, which was close throughout. He played well as point guard and scored opportunistically, and Memphis announcers raved about his rebounding, said he is one of the best defending and rebounding guards in the league. While J. Jackson was MVP of the game, Goodwin was clearly also key to the win.

BuiltFordBills and Old guy like this

1 hour ago, NYBilliken said:

I watched second half of the Memphis win at Milwaukee. I hadn't watched Goodwin play in a while but had seen his 3-pt % was fading, plus he only plays some of the games as Grizzlies need to slowly use up his maximum game allowance as (technically) a prorated two-way contract player. But last night it was clear how valuable he was. In the second half, he came onto the floor about midway through the third quarter and played the rest of the game, which was close throughout. He played well as point guard and scored opportunistically, and Memphis announcers raved about his rebounding, said he is one of the best defending and rebounding guards in the league. While J. Jackson was MVP of the game, Goodwin was clearly also key to the win.

He has had some very good games in a row now.  My 10 year old is going to the Grizzlies game tomorrow night and will be rockin his new Grizz JGood jersey.  It will all be a surprise for him and really hoping #4 plays!

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

He has had some very good games in a row now.  My 10 year old is going to the Grizzlies game tomorrow night and will be rockin his new Grizz JGood jersey.  It will all be a surprise for him and really hoping #4 plays!

hoping he's not reading ur posts :)

DirtyRican likes this

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

Goodwin started and scored 15 points. It’s his third consecutive double-digit scoring game. He’s having a strong close to the season.

Give him a contract, Grizzlies!