Jump to content

Rashad Williams enters the Transfer Portal


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Seems like he’ll have to go the D-2 route since he only has one year of eligibility left and he’s transferred twice. 

I forgot, does it count against you if a coach leaves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Seems like he’ll have to go the D-2 route since he only has one year of eligibility left and he’s transferred twice. 

I don't think that applies if he is a grad transfer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never understood Rashad Williams' fit on this past season's team.

I'll remember him for hitting big 3s against Boise State and Dayton, and for being enthusiastic on the bench despite his limited playing time. Best of luck to him in his next stop. Clearly he has the ability to score the ball in the right situation.

SLU_Lax and MattyMo213 like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NH said:

I never understood Rashad Williams' fit on this past season's team.

I'll remember him for hitting big 3s against Boise State and Dayton, and for being enthusiastic on the bench despite his limited playing time. Best of luck to him in his next stop. Clearly he has the ability to score the ball in the right situation.

Once Deandre Jones proved he could be the backup point guard/combo guard, Rashad was the odd man out.  They were effectively competing for the same role.  You'll see the same scenario play out next year with our guards competing for backup minutes at shooting guard/small forward.  And you'll know months ahead of time, simply by identifying roster spots 10-13, who will eventually transfer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Williams was a player that, other than being a good likable guy within the team, had a minuscule impact on this year's season. He could not expect to do any better next season, not with Ford as HC. I agree transferring is best for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Once Deandre Jones proved he could be the backup point guard/combo guard, Rashad was the odd man out.  They were effectively competing for the same role.  You'll see the same scenario play out next year with our guards competing for backup minutes at shooting guard/small forward.  And you'll know months ahead of time, simply by identifying roster spots 10-13, who will eventually transfer.  

I tend to agree with you. The one nuance comes with incoming freshman. I feel very confident that Thames and Kramer will be among those 10-13 roster spots. However, they were recruited knowing that freshman year PT would be tough to come by and they were recruited specifically to develop in the program (and for their hometown team). I would not assume that if, as I expect, Thames/Kramer do not play much next year it means they are likely to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NH said:

I tend to agree with you. The one nuance comes with incoming freshman. I feel very confident that Thames and Kramer will be among those 10-13 roster spots. However, they were recruited knowing that freshman year PT would be tough to come by and they were recruited specifically to develop in the program (and for their hometown team). I would not assume that if, as I expect, Thames/Kramer do not play much next year it means they are likely to leave.

Freshmen get a pass.  But if players are still stuck at roster spots 10-13 the following year, they leave for someplace where they can play.  Even before free agency that was often the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matty Light said:

Good luck with your next ball club, Chuck N. Duball. I haven't seen a chucker of that level on the Billikens since Austin McBroom.

The guy from Iceland 🇮🇸 would like a word.  Forget his name. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Williams. The real problem in my mind was that he was a 3 point specialist that shot 25% from 3 for us. He has proven he can shoot better than that at his previous schools, so I assume he will land somewhere if he is eligible to be a Grad transfer.

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Freshmen get a pass.  But if players are still stuck at roster spots 10-13 the following year, they leave for someplace where they can play.  Even before free agency that was often the case.

Yeah.  That seems to be the trend here lately.  Because we would have to assume any new transfers will be rotation players.  Have a great season next year and you could possibly be recruiting over kids you are "developing".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I felt bad for Williams. He had a tough year with injuries, delays, and losses away from basketball. We never really got to see the player he is.

Can certainly understand his desire for a new start and a place where there will be minutes for him.

Best of luck to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  That seems to be the trend here lately.  Because we would have to assume any new transfers will be rotation players.  Have a great season next year and you could possibly be recruiting over kids you are "developing".

This is the fundamental issue with college basketball right now. It’s nearly impossible to develop freshmen. Either they are playing right away or they’re likely to transfer. It has not been much of an issue at SLU yet since we haven’t brought in many transfers who took meaningful minutes, but it will be soon enough.

I think the key is being very deliberate in recruiting. Is the high schooler you’re recruiting going to play right away? If not, is he comfortable with that or will he likely transfer for more PT? If he is comfortable waiting, then is the staff confident in his ability to earn playing time after a couple of seasons? Those are the questions I’d be asking during recruiting if I were a coach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...