Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

31 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hiring a new coach is not a chutes and ladders slide back and wait 3-4 years while they get their guys anymore.  The change in transfer rules make it so you can turn over a roster quickly.  So a 3-4 year wait is now 1-2 years.

Majerus was great.  There are other coaches though.  I'll begrudgingly throw out Adams at TTU.  Dude has that team playing so hard and smart too.

Thoughts on Frank Martin?  Got USC(arolina) to the final 4 just 6 years ago.  A lot of success in the mid-west, only 55 years old?  Maybe he'll be available in a year.  Also sporting a new bald look and doing some TV during the tournament.  Put em' on your short-list May.

Martin is all but done deal to umass 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Martin is all but done deal to umass 

Good pick up for UMASS, I think. 

SLU needs to get it together on NIL too.  Or more accurately SLU boosters and big money donors (BMD).  We won't be able to compete against the big states schools/P5 conference teams but there's a sweet spot we can fit into to get that next level recruit and an NIL deal may sway them our way.

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Majerus had basketball players with enough mental basketball IQ to overcome what may be seen by the scouting services as a lack of physicality. Majerus took clay and molded it into works of art.

Ford, on the other hand, has been given the Louvre and turned it into a Super Wal Mart of turnovers and head scratching. 

I’m not a fan of Ford but the Louvre? Come on

Mark hi did us a favor- only 8-9 players can compete the rest sit through the games. Okoro was a nice surprise after not really doing much in Oregon- yes, good enough to start but last half of this year he had more points snd rebounds than expected. Jimmerson also stepped it up and Collins was better. If we get Perkins and Parker and Jimmerson in a game I do not believe we will be running the clock before we shoot.

I felt we did not steal the ball enough and we had too many cross court passes or passes int the stands. I hope Jordan Nesbit learns he has other options than him dribbling in to shoot. Hargroves three point shooting was a plus but I expected more rebounding from Hargrove and Nesbit.

I would not say this was a great year for Ford but he has continually started each season with better and better players than we had under previous coaches. I do think we are weak in recruiting compared to year past but I think it takes a few years for recruiters to bring in top players that are good students and citizens 

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

SLU needs to get it together on NIL too.  Or more accurately SLU boosters and big money donors (BMD).  We won't be able to compete against the big states schools/P5 conference teams but there's a sweet spot we can fit into to get that next level recruit and an NIL deal may sway them our way.

I stated that recently, many mbm’s don’t agree, embrace nil or fall behind 

brianstl likes this

If we could compete with Belmont, Murray State, Creighton Marquette and the Cincinnati, Xavier, Loyola Chicago and Dayton teams I would be happy and I still believe Ford is a great not good fit for us. His most significant coaching was as Umass. As a city and and alumni we are not driven or a good traveling team and he was on the path to giving us something to be excited about. The campus and arena jewels for kids that like city schools and don’t want to walk four miles of cow pasture between classes 

3 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Majerus had basketball players with enough mental basketball IQ to overcome what may be seen by the scouting services as a lack of physicality. Majerus took clay and molded it into works of art.

Ford, on the other hand, has been given the Louvre and turned it into a Super Wal Mart of turnovers and head scratching. 

Majerus was our Whitey Herzog and LaRussa meshed into one.

Ford is Mike Matheny 

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So can I put your name down - how much?

AlumniFan likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

So can I put your name down - how much?

Yeah I had an idea to crowd source NIL deals with members of the board. I floated it to a few people looking for partners to carry the load.  I'm down for a $1000 plus some sweat equity. 

Just kinda hard for me to spearhead something when I live in another state/country than where the players are located.

What about you?

dennis_w likes this

38 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah I had an idea to crowd source NIL deals with members of the board. I floated it to a few people looking for partners to carry the load.  I'm down for a $1000 plus some sweat equity. 

Just kinda hard for me to spearhead something when I live in another state/country than where the players are located.

What about you?

If somebody gets something going I am open.

Surly Horns Texas message board had a NIL program called Burnt Ends for the tight ends.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/09/17/texas-football-tight-ends-nil-deals-crowdsourced-burnt-ends-program/8349704002/

Something like that or if anyone had links to a 501C for like some children's charity could pay players through that to do appearances.  Donations to charity would be tax deductible.   Win win.  Texas boosters started something like that Horns with Heart and the Pancake Factory for o-lineman.  They set up an advisory board with Texas greats from different sports.

I'm just familiar with these living 4 miles from UT and following it all.

501C route would require some legal support.   The crowd sourced version might get by without.   I don't see/hear about SLU providing any advice to players on navigating NIL.  They can't set it up but they can certainly give info on compliance.   I don't think Missouri has any NIL state laws which is good means less limits. 

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Surly Horns Texas message board had a NIL program called Burnt Ends for the tight ends.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/09/17/texas-football-tight-ends-nil-deals-crowdsourced-burnt-ends-program/8349704002/

Something like that or if anyone had links to a 501C for like some children's charity could pay players through that to do appearances.  Donations to charity would be tax deductible.   Win win.  Texas boosters started something like that Horns with Heart and the Pancake Factory for o-lineman.  They set up an advisory board with Texas greats from different sports.

501C route would require some legal support.   The crowd sourced version might get by without.   I don't see/hear about SLU providing any advice to players on navigating NIL.  They can't set it up but they can certainly give info on compliance.   I don't think Missouri has any NIL state laws which is good means less limits. 

We could have gone with THJ airlines if lambert went private…

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

missouri does have state laws, i previously posted a link

Let's look ahead into the crystal ball.  What do we see?  The MBMs have all come through and raised $14 MILLION DOLLARS for SLU NIL deals.  Luckily, for simple math, there are 14 players on SLU's roster (subtracting Courtney, Jones and Linssen and adding in Parker, Kramer and Thames).  How you going to divvy that up?  Simple is a million per however are you going to give Lorentsson and guys like Kramer and Thames the same amount you give Perkins?  How about paying the starting five $3 million each?  That might send certain players off angrily into the Twitterverse, causing dissention and hard feelings.  Or are you just paying Perkins?  And Collins?  See the previous line.  Any complications with Title IX?  SLU boosters, with only some stepping up to the plate, are now asked to add more even after they just did for Chaifetz Arena, Hermann Stadium and the O'Loughlin Center.

I understand dennis' point ---- I just have a hard time seeing it come to fruition.  At least here at SLU.  We are not Texas football.  Hell, Texas football ain't even Texas football as it used to be.  I think they've been nastionally irrelevant since Vince Young.

4 minutes ago, willie said:

As long as it is cleared by the athletic department. 

Unless the MO NIL law requires it to be cleared.   The AD has no part in NIL.

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Let's look ahead into the crystal ball.  What do we see?  The MBMs have all come through and raised $14 MILLION DOLLARS for SLU NIL deals.  Luckily, for simple math, there are 14 players on SLU's roster (subtracting Courtney, Jones and Linssen and adding in Parker, Kramer and Thames).  How you going to divvy that up?  Simple is a million per however are you going to give Lorentsson and guys like Kramer and Thames the same amount you give Perkins?  How about paying the starting five $3 million each?  That might send certain players off angrily into the Twitterverse, causing dissention and hard feelings.  Or are you just paying Perkins?  And Collins?  See the previous line.  Any complications with Title IX?  SLU boosters, with only some stepping up to the plate, are now asked to add more even after they just did for Chaifetz Arena, Hermann Stadium and the O'Loughlin Center.

I understand dennis' point ---- I just have a hard time seeing it come to fruition.  At least here at SLU.  We are not Texas football.  Hell, Texas football ain't even Texas football as it used to be.  I think they've been nastionally irrelevant since Vince Young.

Wrong-headed thinking on this one.  There will be NIL deals at different levels.   Yes Texas, UGA, UCLA etc will be in the top.  But if we as a fanbase drag our feet we can fall behind.  There's going to be a sweet spot for a upper level A10 school.   We have to compete vs the UD's, Creighton, DePauls, Murray St.,  Tulsa for the better mid-major level talent.

How you divvy up funds in a crowd source is up to those involved.  The exampless I mentioned in a previous post were equal for anyone playing the position.  We could also target a key acquisition.   IE we need a back up PG transfer so we would throw out that initiative to someone SLU is targeting.

Will there be jealousy, issues with all this?  Hell yes there will.  But the train has left the station.   There's already star players that get media hype and special treatment while others get none. It's another thing to navigate for programs like the transfer portal.

If I'm Lou Fusz I'm going NIL for the most recognizable guy.  The 3rd string Right Guard for the Cowboys doesn't get the deals Dak gets.   That's the world of free market. But fans we can do it however we wanted.

Most transactions aren't million $ or hundred-thousand $ deals. Those are just the one's you hear about.   Kid's down between DePaul and SLU.  SLU boosters have a NIL deal that'll put $200/month in my pocket during the season DePaul doesn't.   That might sway 19 year old kid. Certainly can't hurt. 

If you actually got $14 M in donations for NIL deals, it would be useful (because this amount is not likely to be donated every year) to make outlays in a sustaining basis, and avoiding causing envy, and antagonism within the team. Nothing can be more destructive than giving someone a lot more that what is given to everyone else. Also on the long run, I think coming to a school that essentially guarantees a steady stipend to all incoming athletes is an attractive proposition for recruitment. Whether or not NIL deals need to be approved by the Athletic Department it might be useful to coordinate this effort to meet the Universtiy's needs.