Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Wrong-headed thinking on this one.  There will be NIL deals at different levels.   Yes Texas, UGA, UCLA etc will be in the top.  But if we as a fanbase drag our feet we can fall behind.  There's going to be a sweet spot for a upper level A10 school.   We have to compete vs the UD's, Creighton, DePauls, Murray St.,  Tulsa for the better mid-major level talent.

How you divvy up funds in a crowd source is up to those involved.  The exampless I mentioned in a previous post were equal for anyone playing the position.  We could also target a key acquisition.   IE we need a back up PG transfer so we would throw out that initiative to someone SLU is targeting.

Will there be jealousy, issues with all this?  Hell yes there will.  But the train has left the station.   There's already star players that get media hype and special treatment while others get none. It's another thing to navigate for programs like the transfer portal.

If I'm Lou Fusz I'm going NIL for the most recognizable guy.  The 3rd string Right Guard for the Cowboys doesn't get the deals Dak gets.   That's the world of free market. But fans we can do it however we wanted.

Most transactions aren't million $ or hundred-thousand $ deals. Those are just the one's you hear about.   Kid's down between DePaul and SLU.  SLU boosters have a NIL deal that'll put $200/month in my pocket during the season DePaul doesn't.   That might sway 19 year old kid. Certainly can't hurt. 

Im up in Wisc for a few weeks supporting my son and his family doing this and that.  Im driving along and I see a HUGE billboard for Culvers with the pictures of two of the UW bball stars, smiling, twirling basketballs, hawking how Culvers love UW bball.  There sure could be same for SLU with Yuri and Gibby.  Im sure this will cost less than what the boosters ponied up for the new building on campus.  Any St Louis based enterprise could do the same....say, Enterprise, yeah! That's the ticket.  Or Imo's, or Urban Chestnut right up the street from Chaifetz.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Im up in Wisc for a few weeks supporting my son and his family doing this and that.  Im driving along and I see a HUGE billboard for Culvers with the pictures of two of the UW bball stars, smiling, twirling basketballs, hawking how Culvers love UW bball.  There sure could be same for SLU with Yuri and Gibby.  Im sure this will cost less than what the boosters ponied up for the new building on campus.  Any St Louis based enterprise could do the same....say, Enterprise, yeah! That's the ticket.  Or Imo's, or Urban Chestnut right up the street from Chaifetz.

Imos and Urban Chestnut are not in the same league as Culvers money wise.  Now maybe Panera 

35 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Imos and Urban Chestnut are not in the same league as Culvers money wise.  Now maybe Panera 

He's just throwing out local businesses that market.  Also what matters is the players social media following.  Some female athletes attract large social media followings despite being in "Olympic" sports.

You can pay a Texas Women's Tennis Player for tennis lessons.  They were national champions.  Maybe your kid wants to play horse vs. Perkins for his 10th birthday.  Is that worth $400 to someone?  Skies the limit.  Come on MBM nation start something. 

27 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

He's just throwing out local businesses that market.  Also what matters is the players social media following.  Some female athletes attract large social media followings despite being in "Olympic" sports.

You can pay a Texas Women's Tennis Player for tennis lessons.  They were national champions.  Maybe your kid wants to play horse vs. Perkins for his 10th birthday.  Is that worth $400 to someone?  Skies the limit.  Come on MBM nation start something. 

how much is a message board post worth? powermizzou has weekly podcasts with mookie cooper and luther burden. i dont know what they get paid, but they do get paid. would you pay a few hundred for gj to talk about chess, bb and international business? i you dont step up you wont get or keep the best

Not to knock Gibby but WTF does Gibby know about chess and international business and better yet, why would I care?  I get putting two kids on a billboard for Imos.  What I don't get is who would know them enough to influence business purchases and increase sales.  I get podcasts.  I don't follow them but I think there are what, three on here we know of, maybe four.  If someone like the Texas tennis girl gets paid for giving lessons, isn't she then a professional?  Once you go pro and accepted money for your talents like that, you've gone pro and eligibility then is in question, right?  

I'm all for the kids getting money for the use of their name, image and likeness.  I just don't see it working much at SLU.  Until someone proves me wrong ..........

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Not to knock Gibby but WTF does Gibby know about chess and international business and better yet, why would I care?  I get putting two kids on a billboard for Imos.  What I don't get is who would know them enough to influence business purchases and increase sales.  I get podcasts.  I don't follow them but I think there are what, three on here we know of, maybe four.  If someone like the Texas tennis girl gets paid for giving lessons, isn't she then a professional?  Once you go pro and accepted money for your talents like that, you've gone pro and eligibility then is in question, right?  

I'm all for the kids getting money for the use of their name, image and likeness.  I just don't see it working much at SLU.  Until someone proves me wrong ..........

he majors in international business and it was said during his recruitment that the chess team interested him. i just used those as a possible interest to his fans. give it time you will be proven wrong, until then you certainly do not have to give nil any thought. the rest of the sports world does

BilliesBy40 likes this

I'm still waiting on the doom and gloom predictions to come true for how mid-major programs will be savaged by free agency.  If anything, there's more competitive mid-majors now than there were 2 years ago.

At the end of the day, there's way more good players that need a home than there are roster spots at high major programs.  It's just math.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:22 PM, Taj79 said:

@dennis_w --- okay, my thoughts on nil are done.  But let's ask @billikenfan05 and @Pistol --- how much do you pay to have guys like Gibby on your podcast? Or @Midtown Madness?  Just curious what the going rate is for these kind of things?

200.gif

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It would be a NCAA violation for the athletic department to be involved in anyway.

Not anyway, the athletic department can act as a liaison

49 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It would be a NCAA violation for the athletic department to be involved in anyway.

they cant give an opinion on whether a scheme of any sort to pay the player concerned would be an issue or not?   not asking them to get involved.   just give an opinion.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

they cant give an opinion on whether a scheme of any sort to pay the player concerned would be an issue or not?   not asking them to get involved.   just give an opinion.

most universities have a department that helps players with NIL, at least the big schools do. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

most universities have a department that helps players with NIL, at least the big schools do. 

Speaking from experience, the athletic department appears to be taking a hands off approach to NIL.  I contacted them with a serious inquiry about NIL deals for players, but was effectively told that they don't want to be involved, but that they could not stop me from contacting the players directly.

dennis_w likes this

40 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Speaking from experience, the athletic department appears to be taking a hands off approach to NIL.  I contacted them with a serious inquiry about NIL deals for players, but was effectively told that they don't want to be involved, but that they could not stop me from contacting the players directly.

Drinkwitz mizzou’s football coach talked about how they have people at the university that helps players deal with NIL. This is why I assumed it was normal for schools to do that, maybe mizzou is risking it, maybe a lot of schools risk it. That I do not know. 

but this is good to know about SLU. 

On 3/21/2022 at 11:17 AM, Old guy said:

If you actually got $14 M in donations for NIL deals, it would be useful (because this amount is not likely to be donated every year) to make outlays in a sustaining basis, and avoiding causing envy, and antagonism within the team. Nothing can be more destructive than giving someone a lot more that what is given to everyone else. Also on the long run, I think coming to a school that essentially guarantees a steady stipend to all incoming athletes is an attractive proposition for recruitment. Whether or not NIL deals need to be approved by the Athletic Department it might be useful to coordinate this effort to meet the Universtiy's needs.

I think the theory of this is likely the best approach. Basically Ford and the assistant coaches can go to the table with $200k over 4 years or whatever the dollar figures might be. If it is the next Jayson Tatum from St. Louis you certainly alter this approach trying to get additional $ from the base. I think the question I have is how do you get that $. I am less inclined to think many local companies would commit to giving $ expecting any sort of return on investment, but I also acknowledge business owners likely have more $, so educating them as well as other financial supporters of the program even down to season ticket holders on how the landscape is changing would certainly make sense. So I view it as another pot to throw $ into just like the new athletic facility. How do we make that happen? It is almost like creating a Billiken PAC. Someone needs to be making sure we are tracking what other programs are doing on this front and are thinking thru what approach we take. The $ folks have to be aware of this, right?

On 3/20/2022 at 10:45 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Surly Horns Texas message board had a NIL program called Burnt Ends for the tight ends.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/09/17/texas-football-tight-ends-nil-deals-crowdsourced-burnt-ends-program/8349704002/

Something like that or if anyone had links to a 501C for like some children's charity could pay players through that to do appearances.  Donations to charity would be tax deductible.   Win win.  Texas boosters started something like that Horns with Heart and the Pancake Factory for o-lineman.  They set up an advisory board with Texas greats from different sports.

I'm just familiar with these living 4 miles from UT and following it all.

501C route would require some legal support.   The crowd sourced version might get by without.   I don't see/hear about SLU providing any advice to players on navigating NIL.  They can't set it up but they can certainly give info on compliance.   I don't think Missouri has any NIL state laws which is good means less limits. 

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Based on conversations in DC, I think folks are certainly aware of the potential negative impact NIL could have on SLU, but I also didn't get the sense anyone is taking the lead on it. I have time to help get this going and would be willing to knock on doors so to say. I assume structurally, this would be similar to a PAC?

dennis_w likes this

59 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Based on conversations in DC, I think folks are certainly aware of the potential negative impact NIL could have on SLU, but I also didn't get the sense anyone is taking the lead on it. I have time to help get this going and would be willing to knock on doors so to say. I assume structurally, this would be similar to a PAC?

the missouri state law seems fairly straight forward as to what is allowed. if you can get it going i will be a donor

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the missouri state law seems fairly straight forward as to what is allowed. if you can get it going i will be a donor

I’m going to have a few conversations with folks I think could be a good resource in setting this up and hopefully we can think of something. I envision a pool of $ with a board that decides how that $ is spent. Let’s make something happen and soon! I think I’m fairly unpopular on this board, so please ignore that if I get something going.

NH, slufanskip and brianstl like this

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I’m going to have a few conversations with folks I think could be a good resource in setting this up and hopefully we can think of something. I envision a pool of $ with a board that decides how that $ is spent. Let’s make something happen and soon! I think I’m fairly unpopular on this board, so please ignore that if I get something going.

Nope, I'll only be giving to the popular board members NIL funds...Anyone want to set up a competing NIL fund??

SLU_Nick likes this

28 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

https://illiniguardians.com/

Here is your template.  You need to be looking at a pot of $0.5 to 1.0 million if you want to compete with the big boys.  Read the website.  They are talking of buying another year of Cockburn for big bucks.

While it’s unknown how much Cockburn has made from NIL opportunities this season, most expect he has made north of six figures. Comparatively, most G League players make about $37,000, according to The New York Times, though two-way players — those contracted with NBA teams — make north of $400,000 with players of Cockburn’s caliber making six figures overseas. The NBA rookie minimum salary, meanwhile, is about $925,000

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://illiniguardians.com/

Here is your template.  You need to be looking at a pot of $0.5 to 1.0 million if you want to compete with the big boys.  Read the website.  They are talking of buying another year of Cockburn for big bucks.

While it’s unknown how much Cockburn has made from NIL opportunities this season, most expect he has made north of six figures. Comparatively, most G League players make about $37,000, according to The New York Times, though two-way players — those contracted with NBA teams — make north of $400,000 with players of Cockburn’s caliber making six figures overseas. The NBA rookie minimum salary, meanwhile, is about $925,000

The good that could come of this is that popular players might stay in school because the money is good and get their degrees.

rgbilliken likes this