GDT: SLU v. Rhode Island

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This. He's put in the work it seems like from all accounts. Getting shots up with Gibson over the summer. It's starting to pay off. He's been great for alot of the year really.

Thatch’s consistency has been the biggest surprise. It seems like he’s finally healthy. Been on a tear the second half and reminds me of Jett? (junior year?)

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I didn’t realize Demarius Jacobs was still on the team

Jacobs >>> Williams 

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

This team is terrible, change my mind

E861DF6C-9E54-40AE-A1B2-EF0C196ACC1F.jpeg.a5eccaaee72663680474f648c1d849b2.jpeg

Some thoughts from da' couch ......

I no longer post in GDTs with a few pot shot exceptions.  The GDT is too emotional.  For my friends (and you know who you are ..... Nick), I suggest the same.  It's kind of like "serenity now."  I also make fewer dumb arse statements.  Its the new me going forward.

Good Travis:  the first half and zone were great ideas.  Rhode Island can't shoot save El-Amin and Sheppard.  El-Amin made his first two threes, picked up two fouls and finished with six total points.  Antwan Walker was scoreless.  The Mitchell twins can jack all day from 10 feet and beyond.  Mahkel Mitchell is a bonehead and fancies himself a wing player.  Three-of-sixteen on the night.  Thomas had a career day but in two of his layup threes, I think he blew by Jimerson.  Bad Travis:  I thought he waited too long to call that second half timeout at the 5:30 mark but from then on we won 14 to 7.  Maybe it was a great call.  So I'll go no bad Travis tonight.  It was a game we should have won, had to win, and did so.  on to VCU.  

In a previous thread, NH (I believe) raised the question on our defense.  I'm in that camp now as well.  I don't understand how Jimerson can't get open yet all other teams pop and clear for open threes.  It's maddening to say the least.  We won the rebounding battle by one thanks to Fred.  Still, that's impressive considering the Mitchells, Walker and Martin.  

Typical:  it's been 127 days since we tipped off this season.  A10 teams have played 389 games winning 207 and losing 182.  And, as usual, with one game left in the season for almost all teams, nothing is final   That my friends is A10 basketball defined.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I don’t understand why they went away from it.

They didn’t for a long time. I don’t have a clock on it but felt like they were in it for half the game. When RI caught up at the end they went back to the man. Ford gets a lot of cr-p for his bench adjustments. We were struggling to stop them early, he tried the zone and it worked. Give him credit . 

1 minute ago, willie said:

They didn’t for a long time. I don’t have a clock on it but felt like they were in it for half the game. When RI caught up at the end they went back to the man. Ford gets a lot of cr-p for his bench adjustments. We were struggling to stop them early, he tried the zone and it worked. Give him credit . 

Duly noted. That one could have gotten away early.

2 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I love Thatch’s game tonight, but we won, in large part, because they shot 10-22 FTs. 
I’ll certainly take the W, but things must improve to make some noise in DC.  

We were only 62%

Just got back from Kingston. Bit of a drive back to Nashua. Ryan Center is nice, but crowd was sparse. Didn't get into it except for the Rhodey run. PA announcer was really annoying. Student section sat on their butts most of the time.

NH likes this

58 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I have some unbelievably bad takes at times but I will always admit when I was wrong

My favorite Thatch comment came in the non-conference where someone stated he should be playing at SEMO

49 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Just got back from Kingston. Bit of a drive back to Nashua. Ryan Center is nice, but crowd was sparse. Didn't get into it except for the Rhodey run. PA announcer was really annoying. Student section sat on their butts most of the time.

Agree, just got back from the game as well - bit of a drive back to Boston.  I was very impressed with the Ryan Center.  Didn't think refs called nearly as bad a game as we usually get (and as some of the comments on the blog indicated).  As for the student section, we sat near that end of the arena.  I think there were more students in the cheerleading/dance squads than there were in the student section.  Pathetic student support.  The university honored the student-athletes who made the Dean's list last season from all the different sports at halftime, and there were definitely more students honored at halftime than were in the student section.  They came for the halftime walk out to center court and then left the building (and weren't really there for the first half either - just showed up for halftime).  It definitely helped the Bills that it really wasn't that much of a hostile environment.  Great to see the Bills win on the road.

The Billiken's zone defense in the first half really took the wind out of their sails.  They made a run in the second half, but we righted the ship and withstood it in the end.  Good road run to set the team up for VCU.

As a side comment, Perkins didn't appear to be wearing a brace tonight, but he also didn't seem to be walking very well.  I don't know what the usual recovery is, but he still has a way to go.

One last comment some of you might find interesting.  My wife and I sat next to two long-time season ticket holding Rhode Island fans (nice guys - never met them before - we had a good chat during the game).  They have been quite impressed with Ford's run at SLU. They were mumbling that they don't think much of their current coach and said they hoped that Rhode Island would make a run at Ford.  Apparently who's a good coach and who isn't is relative.

Go Bills!

27 minutes ago, Fraz said:

My favorite Thatch comment came in the non-conference where someone stated he should be playing at SEMO

I mean, hindsight is 20/20. He was a disaster for a long period of noncon. He’s been awesome these last few games and the shooting has been unreal, but to act like he wasn’t a disaster for most of November and December is revisionist history

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Some thoughts from da' couch ......

I no longer post in GDTs with a few pot shot exceptions.  The GDT is too emotional.  For my friends (and you know who you are ..... Nick), I suggest the same.  It's kind of like "serenity now."  I also make fewer dumb arse statements.  Its the new me going forward.

Good Travis:  the first half and zone were great ideas.  Rhode Island can't shoot save El-Amin and Sheppard.  El-Amin made his first two threes, picked up two fouls and finished with six total points.  Antwan Walker was scoreless.  The Mitchell twins can jack all day from 10 feet and beyond.  Mahkel Mitchell is a bonehead and fancies himself a wing player.  Three-of-sixteen on the night.  Thomas had a career day but in two of his layup threes, I think he blew by Jimerson.  Bad Travis:  I thought he waited too long to call that second half timeout at the 5:30 mark but from then on we won 14 to 7.  Maybe it was a great call.  So I'll go no bad Travis tonight.  It was a game we should have won, had to win, and did so.  on to VCU.  

In a previous thread, NH (I believe) raised the question on our defense.  I'm in that camp now as well.  I don't understand how Jimerson can't get open yet all other teams pop and clear for open threes.  It's maddening to say the least.  We won the rebounding battle by one thanks to Fred.  Still, that's impressive considering the Mitchells, Walker and Martin.  

Typical:  it's been 127 days since we tipped off this season.  A10 teams have played 389 games winning 207 and losing 182.  And, as usual, with one game left in the season for almost all teams, nothing is final   That my friends is A10 basketball defined.

Out of reactions good post good to see a mention from da couch.

I feel the same that coach Ford should have taken a timeout much earlier.

I should invoke your no posting in the GDT because I definitely get to emotional.

Fred has improved and Jimerson played much better we’re positives.

The disturbing trends are defense, turnovers  and free throw shooting.   It must improve against VCU and the A10 tournament or it will be a disappointing end to the season.

One more home game it’s hard to believe.  Regardless of the outcome I always miss the Billikens in the off season however I transition to the lake season to help me through no Billiken basketball to watch.

7 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Agree, just got back from the game as well - bit of a drive back to Boston.  I was very impressed with the Ryan Center.  Didn't think refs called nearly as bad a game as we usually get (and as some of the comments on the blog indicated).  As for the student section, we sat near that end of the arena.  I think there were more students in the cheerleading/dance squads than there were in the student section.  Pathetic student support.  The university honored the student-athletes who made the Dean's list last season from all the different sports at halftime, and there were definitely more students honored at halftime than were in the student section.  They came for the halftime walk out to center court and then left the building (and weren't really there for the first half either - just showed up for halftime).  It definitely helped the Bills that it really wasn't that much of a hostile environment.  Great to see the Bills win on the road.

The Billiken's zone defense in the first half really took the wind out of their sails.  They made a run in the second half, but we righted the ship and withstood it in the end.  Good road run to set the team up for VCU.

As a side comment, Perkins didn't appear to be wearing a brace tonight, but he also didn't seem to be walking very well.  I don't know what the usual recovery is, but he still has a way to go.

One last comment some of you might find interesting.  My wife and I sat next to two long-time season ticket holding Rhode Island fans (nice guys - never met them before - we had a good chat during the game).  They have been quite impressed with Ford's run at SLU. They were mumbling that they don't think much of their current coach and said they hoped that Rhode Island would make a run at Ford.  Apparently who's a good coach and who isn't is relative.

Go Bills!

You probably don't get to see him much but he has not had a brace for sometime now but his walking is a bit of a limp still.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Out of reactions good post good to see a mention from da couch.

I feel the same that coach Ford should have taken a timeout much earlier.

I should invoke your no posting in the GDT because I definitely get to emotional.

Fred has improved and Jimerson played much better we’re positives.

The disturbing trends are defense, turnovers  and free throw shooting.   It must improve against VCU and the A10 tournament or it will be a disappointing end to the season.

One more home game it’s hard to believe.  Regardless of the outcome I always miss the Billikens in the off season however I transition to the lake season to help me through no Billiken basketball to watch.

I transition to Cardinal Baseball, except the MLB owners are still locking out the players.

I agree re those three, defense, turnovers, free throw shooting.  Last night it was defense, as SLU struggled at times to guard.  Switching to that Zone did help in the first half, and for that Coach Ford gets credit.  I suspect the defense and free throw issues are the result of fatigue, tired legs.  But this is a different SLU team, in that overall the Offense has been better and the Defense worse.  Also the free throw shooting has been much better this season, with only some recent blips. While 15-24 last night, 62.5% is not good, thank goodness it was not URI's 10-22, an abysmal 45.5%. Good 8th graders can do that.  The turnovers were limited last night to 9, a serviceable number, but yes, they have have been a problem against more aggressive, top tier A10 teams.

Last night, in addition to claimed St. Mary's "transfer" Yuri Collins' quadruple nickel, our 6'3" Power Forward, Fred Thatch, Jr., The Sikeston Train 2.0 (Mizzou and Tampa Bay RB James Wilder was the first Sikeston Train), had a Double Double, 21 points and 13 rebounds.

8 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Go Bills!

Thank you for the report.

Earlier this week, I reviewed the record book.  Travis Ford has the 3rd highest winning percentage at SLU of any SLU Coach since 1946-47, trailing only Eddie Hickey and John Bennington.

the baseball labor fight is really making me mad.   you all know i am a Braves fan.  well it was reported last week the braves made a bottom line net profit over $100 million last year.   so the owners dont want to play?   isnt the new TV contract on the horizon as well which will greatly increase these bottom lines even more.   come on owners.   get this done.  

after the billikens there is no sport i care to watch any longer except MLB.   however we are quickly moving towards shutting that off as well.  

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the baseball labor fight is really making me mad.   you all know i am a Braves fan.  well it was reported last week the braves made a bottom line net profit over $100 million last year.   so the owners dont want to play?   isnt the new TV contract on the horizon as well which will greatly increase these bottom lines even more.   come on owners.   get this done.  

after the billikens there is no sport i care to watch any longer except MLB.   however we are quickly moving towards shutting that off as well.  

I heard Randy K and Michelle S say yesterday that prior to the last two MLB contracts the players got 53% of the revenue and the teams 47% but now it is 57% for the teams and 43% for players.  Apparently the players have lost the last two contract negotiations that caused this shift.  They also said that 33 players make 51% of the total spent on player salaries.  This is a difficult issue to figure out who is wrong and who is right but clearly businesses always are looking for ways to increase profit at virtually any means.  What is better than money - more money.  I use to negotiate contracts and my dissertation was on collective bargaining which also was referenced in two textbooks.  I point this out only to show that I have some valid experience in this field.  The approach that always seemed to work best was a win-win strategy.  Both sides work to ensure that neither loses significantly.  In other words, the health of the organization is best served when both parties feel that the results were equal to both.  The problem today is too often both sides believe there has to be a winner and a loser.  All this does is make the next time more difficult to reach an agreement.  This win - lose approach has been used by both sides - when labor demands are too excessive it can lead to the weakening of the union long term - see the auto industry.  When business squeeze the workers too tight then eventually the workers find ways to abandon the company - see the hospitality industry that got use to having their workers live off of tips and they eventually move to other industries that recognize their value.  Either way baseball will be the long term loser.

willie likes this

Ford's half court press zone is a 1-3-1.  The key zone last night appeared to be a 2-3 matchup zone of sorts.  In hindsight, it was borderline brilliant because when El-Amin went out that reduced their outside shooters to Jeremy Sheppard alone.  Ford did what other teams have done to us over the past few years --- dared us to shoot.  I think it worked.  Rhode Island ended up witha 46% FG percentage but I attribute that to their size on the inside.  From distance, they are not good and again, the Mitchell twins are boneheads at times.