GDT: SLU v. Rhode Island

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I transition to Cardinal Baseball, except the MLB owners are still locking out the players.

I agree re those three, defense, turnovers, free throw shooting.  Last night it was defense, as SLU struggled at times to guard.  Switching to that Zone did help in the first half, and for that Coach Ford gets credit.  I suspect the defense and free throw issues are the result of fatigue, tired legs.  But this is a different SLU team, in that overall the Offense has been better and the Defense worse.  Also the free throw shooting has been much better this season, with only some recent blips. While 15-24 last night, 62.5% is not good, thank goodness it was not URI's 10-22, an abysmal 45.5%. Good 8th graders can do that.  The turnovers were limited last night to 9, a serviceable number, but yes, they have have been a problem against more aggressive, top tier A10 teams.

Last night, in addition to claimed St. Mary's "transfer" Yuri Collins' quadruple nickel, our 6'3" Power Forward, Fred Thatch, Jr., The Sikeston Train 2.0 (Mizzou and Tampa Bay RB James Wilder was the first Sikeston Train), had a Double Double, 21 points and 13 rebounds.

The MLB labor S_show every contract year never changes and is predictable.

I do not have the passion for Cardinal baseball like I had when Jack Buck was alive.  I still follow it I listen to games at the lake and it is must listen going to the lake on Friday night and returning Sunday afternoon.

I did not know that James Wilder is from Sikeston what a player he was back in the day with Phil Bradley who got drafted and played for the Phillies.

It was funny the announcers thinking Yuri transferred.

The Billikens are entertaining, they keep the wife and I at the edge of our seats during games.  The team is frustrating however they have won 20 and  I think this season is the most conference wins for Ford as the coach of the Billikens.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

For those watching closely, what Zone alignment was SLU using in that first half?  When I tried to decipher it, not just follow the ball, it looked in that one possession like a 1-2-2.  When Travis Ford has gone zone, it's usually a 1-3-1.

He was switching it up last night. You likely saw it correctly, on both systems.  The 1-3-1 gave Rhody a corner three, so we probably played the 1-2-2 more than the other.  Earl was describing this all night.

11 hours ago, Fraz said:

My favorite Thatch comment came in the non-conference where someone stated he should be playing at SEMO

Yep, he caught some crap. Fred has been very good every since he had that big basket late against Iona. He has developed into a valuable offensive contributor. Some of his games have been Goodwin-esque.

Fred Thatch had very good numbers at Sikeston HS where he scored over 2,000 points. I was trying to remember his total number of points...thought it was 2,500+. Seems to me he's always had it in him, and just needed a chance to show it on the court. Sure am happy for him!

14 hours ago, willie said:

They didn’t for a long time. I don’t have a clock on it but felt like they were in it for half the game. When RI caught up at the end they went back to the man. Ford gets a lot of cr-p for his bench adjustments. We were struggling to stop them early, he tried the zone and it worked. Give him credit . 

I give Ford all types of Credit for putting that zone in. 
I thought it worked so well they should have used it more.

32 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Fred Thatch had very good numbers at Sikeston HS where he scored over 2,000 points. I was trying to remember his total number of points...thought it was 2,500+. Seems to me he's always had it in him, and just needed a chance to show it on the court. Sure am happy for him!

POY for Missouri that year.