GDT: @ George Mason.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I feel like I know Welmer better as a person than I do as a player. I don’t remember any of his minutes except 2019 A10 Semi-final.

Welmer and Jalen Johnson were good freshmen on a bad team.  A healthy Welmer is the stretch 4 we've been looking for forever.  6'9, very good shooter, OK rebounder and an above average shotblocker.  Coach Ford knew what he had, which is why he kept him on scholarship for years.  The bones in Welmer's foot just wouldn't heal properly.

Littlebill likes this

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Welmer and Jalen Johnson were good freshmen on a bad team.  A healthy Welmer is the stretch 4 we've been looking for forever.  6'9, very good shooter, OK rebounder and an above average shotblocker.  Coach Ford knew what he had, which is why he kept him on scholarship for years.  The bones in Welmer's foot just wouldn't heal properly.

I hope my post didn't come across as a dig at Welmer. I have always been pretty bullish on healthy Welmer.

I don't think you can automaticly assume any athlete coming back from a major injury/surgery will be the same.  However, if anyone is capable of coming back, it would be an athlete getting all the proper rehab he or she can take.  Ace Baldwin tore his Achilles in May (I think).  He's back.  Joe Burrow is back.  Saquon Barkley has had issues (some unrelated to his knee injury).  Kevin Durant.  Klay Thompson.  JJ Watt.  Gronk.  Adrian Petersen.  Teddy Bridgewater.  Derrick Rose.  David West.  Jamal Crawford.  Kyle Lowry.  Now, I'm sure we can search and find failures in the rehab process but I'd say that was due to the individual's resolve more than anything else.  Maybe.

I still do not know if Perkins will be back however I think he needs to return more for his sake than ours.  If he had cruised through this year he'd be sitting pretty.  As it now stands, he has no bank of accomplishments to rest on.  That's just my myopic view of the situation.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don't think you can automaticly assume any athlete coming back from a major injury/surgery will be the same.  However, if anyone is capable of coming back, it would be an athlete getting all the proper rehab he or she can take.  Ace Baldwin tore his Achilles in May (I think).  He's back.  Joe Burrow is back.  Saquon Barkley has had issues (some unrelated to his knee injury).  Kevin Durant.  Klay Thompson.  JJ Watt.  Gronk.  Adrian Petersen.  Teddy Bridgewater.  Derrick Rose.  David West.  Jamal Crawford.  Kyle Lowry.  Now, I'm sure we can search and find failures in the rehab process but I'd say that was due to the individual's resolve more than anything else.  Maybe.

I still do not know if Perkins will be back however I think he needs to return more for his sake than ours.  If he had cruised through this year he'd be sitting pretty.  As it now stands, he has no bank of accomplishments to rest on.  That's just my myopic view of the situation.

If Perkins comes back and is able to play at the same level and with the addition of Parker that SLU team should be one of the highest scoring SLU teams ever.

almaman likes this

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

If Perkins comes back and is able to play at the same level and with the addition of Parker that SLU team should be one of the highest scoring SLU teams ever.

90PPG minimum, Yuri averages over 12 assists. Jimerson shoots 45% from 3

32 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

90PPG minimum, Yuri averages over 12 assists. Jimerson shoots 45% from 3

Just for fun, in your scenario, who sits?  Is it safe to assume Perkins plays 30+ min per game? 

He is a wing.  Jimerson, Nesbitt, Hargrove and Thatch are also wings.  Who sits the 30+?

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just for fun, in your scenario, who sits?  Is it safe to assume Perkins plays 30+ min per game? 

He is a wing.  Jimerson, Nesbitt, Hargrove and Thatch are also wings.  Who sits the 30+?

once again just more fuel for the argument we should play fast more.   the depth will be even greater and thus we can shuffle in and out the players easily.   but we all know this is just a dream. 

Old guy likes this

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The big guards -- Thatch, Hargrove will see their minutes cut.  Thatch might decide to get his masters and move on rather than play 12 min a game next year.  The minutes that DeAndre Jones gets now can also be shifted to Perkins.

I expect the winner of the Sincere Parker/Nick Kramer/Rashad Williams battle to get some run next year in games where Jimerson's shot is off, lowering Jimerson's average mpg.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The big guards -- Thatch, Hargrove will see their minutes cut.  Thatch might decide to get his masters and move on rather than play 12 min a game next year.  

I expect the winner of the Sincere Parker/Nick Kramer/Rashad Williams battle to get some run next year in games where Jimerson's shot is off, lowering Jimerson's average mpg.

You're underrating Fred.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Perkins isn't averaging 30+ min per game coming off an ACL tear.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The big guards -- Thatch, Hargrove will see their minutes cut.  Thatch might decide to get his masters and move on rather than play 12 min a game next year.  The minutes that DeAndre Jones gets now can also be shifted to Perkins.

Again, all for fun. So you are putting Nesbitt as Yuri's backup and not Thames.  I'm okay with that.  

The TOTAL wildcard is who else Ford might bring in through the portal.  

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, go with 25 min per game, fair enough?  Still, who sits?

Jones will be gone & everyone else probably sees a small dip in minutes.  Hargrove or Thatch are probably guys that see the largest drops & lose the most "crunch time" minutes.  It's a good problem to have.

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Here is maybe a similar comeback.  Jordan Morris, USMNT soccer player, tore his ACL in Feb 2021. Eight months later he was back playing with his club, Seattle Sounders, and this week he went 60 minutes in the USMNT match against Honduras.  ACL tears differ, athletes differ, but the pathway back to full recovery for Perkins is there.

Here is maybe a similar comeback.  Jordan Morris, USMNT soccer player, tore his ACL in Feb 2021. Eight months later he was back playing with his club, Seattle Sounders, and this week he went 60 minutes in the USMNT match against Honduras.  ACL tears differ, athletes differ, but the pathway back to full recovery for Perkins is there.

Agree 100 percent with that and I hope that is the case.

30 plus minutes of Perkins wins a lot of non conference games out of the gate.

As you mentioned in a different thread the non conference away schedule is as tough as it gets.

Yeah sure but was his jump shot the same?

If Perkins comes back and plays significant minutes, who is going to guard the opposing team’s #1 (usually a shooting guard or small forward)?  Perkins is not a slouch on defense, but he is no Thatch.  4 out of our 6 loses were because we couldn’t stop the other team from scoring down the stretch.