Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

first to throw out there, i dont know ramey.   and since the belleville west days, my interaction with smith has been zero.   but it makes me think that ford and staff determined that even though these two are great talents, there was a reason they werent a good fit. 

i am hoping/thinking that after these last couple of years, maybe ford has decided to try to recruit strategically for his roster and piece things together rather than just get the best athletes he can.   if that is the case (and again, i have nothing to base that on.   i guess we will see how well the machine is put together in a few months!) but if that is the case, i am very happy with that decision.   

ford is the best billiken recruiter in my fandom.   so i trust him completely on getting players.   and now if he is getting more exact in his targets and filling the spots, i am even more happy and convinced he is the right coach. 

Of course i reserve the right to be upset throughout the season for his game coaching.  the less i b!tch about it the better he's getting at it in my opinion.  

I said this a little while back, but I think the passing of Ford Stuen caused Travis to reevaluate how he wants to do things going forward.  I think we are going to see him pass on guys that he thinks won't be a good team fit even if they are highly recruited.  I am not making any comment about Ramey or Smith when I say this.  I just think that Travis will prioritize being a good teammate and fitting a system over star rankings in the future.  If this is true, we will have to give him a pass if we hear that he didn't go after someone very hard.

TheBand and billiken_roy like this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We didn't reach out to Ramey when he entered the portal either.

He had an offer from SLU. So did Smith. They were both a reach due to the schools recruiting them and Ramey's disinterest in the program from the get go. But we reached out to both of them.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

On 6/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

I wish Ramey would come dude plays intense D.  But I'm not optimistic, 247 reporting 

"Ramey's list of interest included offers from Arkansas, Clemson, Illinois, Iowa State, Jacksonville State, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Purdue, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, SMU, South Carolina, UCLA, UNLV and USC."

and

"Texas basketball transfer Courtney Ramey is currently being pursued by Duke, Houston, Arizona and Louisville among others, according to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman. Ramey’s decision could depend on whether Trevor Keels returns to the Blue Devils and if Marcus Sasser comes back to Houston."

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Huge.  Just saved their season.

Mosley should be their best player and gives them some NCAA hopes.  With Mizzou it is going to be if & how quickly all the new pieces can mesh.  Even with Mosley & the other additions they've made, IMO they're still middle of the pack in the SEC (7th at best) & probably a bubble team.  Their non-conference play will be key in determining if a middle of the pack SEC finish is good enough for a tournament bid. 

It is also going to be difficult to keep all everyone happy with playing time especially the returning players & ones who committed early when the roster was bare.  They were probably expecting bigger roles before Gates kept recruiting over them.  Almost their entire team now was either starting / playing big minutes at their previous stops although mostly at lower levels than the SEC or for losing teams.

32 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Mosley should be their best player and gives them some NCAA hopes.  With Mizzou it is going to be if & how quickly all the new pieces can mesh.  Even with Mosley & the other additions they've made, IMO they're still middle of the pack in the SEC (7th at best) & probably a bubble team.  Their non-conference play will be key in determining if a middle of the pack SEC finish is good enough for a tournament bid. 

It is also going to be difficult to keep all everyone happy with playing time especially the returning players & ones who committed early when the roster was bare.  They were probably expecting bigger roles before Gates kept recruiting over them.  Almost their entire team now was either starting / playing big minutes at their previous stops although mostly at lower levels than the SEC or for losing teams.

Mizzous front court is still a massive liability

RUBillsFan likes this

53 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I have never seen a Gates coached team. He clearly can recruit the transfer circuit. Almost all Mizzou teams have been fairly undisciplined, except for the height of the Anderson and Norm Stewart years. I kind of expect an undisciplined team that makes the tournament, but doesn’t really deserve it.

Band Legend likes this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have never seen a Gates coached team. He clearly can recruit the transfer circuit. Almost all Mizzou teams have been fairly undisciplined, except for the height of the Anderson and Norm Stewart years. I kind of expect an undisciplined team that makes the tournament, but doesn’t really deserve it.

Cleveland State was an odd team to watch last year. They scored a lot despite not really shooting many threes (276th in the country is actually a lot higher than I'd have expected based on watching them a couple times late in the season). They moved the ball around a lot and pounded it inside, defended hard, looked to score in transition. Got to the FT line a lot but needed to because they didn't shoot well from there. The players seemed committed to his style, although his top 7 scorers (and 9 of the top 11) were seniors.

It's worth remembering how bad a situation Gates inherited when he took over very late in the cycle in 2019. Dennis Felton (now AHC under Kim English at GMU) was fired in July that year after 8 guys - led by Rashad Williams to Oakland - transferred out. There were rumors of players revolting based on his offseason program. Gates ended up with one more win in his first season than Felton had in his last, and then went 19-8 in 2020-2021, won the conference tournament, and got a 15-seed in the NCAAT before posting a similar record this year and going to the NIT. It's hard to turn around a Horizon program that quickly, especially one that's not exactly at the top of the conference in resources.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Cleveland State was an odd team to watch last year. They scored a lot despite not really shooting many threes (276th in the country is actually a lot higher than I'd have expected based on watching them a couple times late in the season). They moved the ball around a lot and pounded it inside, defended hard, looked to score in transition. Got to the FT line a lot but needed to because they didn't shoot well from there. The players seemed committed to his style, although his top 7 scorers (and 9 of the top 11) were seniors.

It's worth remembering how bad a situation Gates inherited when he took over very late in the cycle in 2019. Dennis Felton (now AHC under Kim English at GMU) was fired in July that year after 8 guys - led by Rashad Williams to Oakland - transferred out. There were rumors of players revolting based on his offseason program. Gates ended up with one more win in his first season than Felton had in his last, and then went 19-8 in 2020-2021, won the conference tournament, and got a 15-seed in the NCAAT before posting a similar record this year and going to the NIT. It's hard to turn around a Horizon program that quickly, especially one that's not exactly at the top of the conference in resources.

The second leading score for MU goes to SLU, the leading scorer for MSU goes to MU. Interesting musical chairs in the state.

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Courtney Ramey off the board to Arizona:

Just like his HS recruitment there was never any indication that SLU had a chance at him, but he is local & has been mentioned here somewhere as a transfer.

sucks cause I watch most or Rameys games and that will be hard with Arizona 

31 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Courtney Ramey off the board to Arizona:

Just like his HS recruitment there was never any indication that SLU had a chance at him, but he is local & has been mentioned here somewhere as a transfer.

I’m pretty sure if we had given a scholarship to his friend he would have come here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in on Forte's new follows and he has recently followed 2 transfer guards.  Finally the coaches are listening to the board!!

Trey Boston - 6'2" 165lb Soph. Guard out of UL-Monroe (originally from Chicago) Averaged 10 points, 2.2 reb, and 1.9 ast in 9 games last year (19 min/game average)

Tray Croft - 6'1" 170 Redshirt Senior Guard from Wisconsin-Parkside (DII)

Last year averaged 20.5 points, 4.6 reb, and 3.84 ast.  Shot 40% from 3 and 89% from the FT line.  He's had a very interesting collegiate basketball career which started back in 2016

2016-17 - Played at Iowa Central CC

2017-18 - Played at Iowa Central CC (named DII player of the year)

2018-19 - Transferred to Northern Iowa and redshirted 

March of 2019 announces transfer from UNI and ends up at Wisconsin-Parkside, looks like it was academic (https://siouxcityjournal.com/croft-to-transfer-from-uni/article_7ba3c156-17b0-5023-b28c-e5646f3e2d03.html)

2019-20 - UW-P Started first 5 games but misses rest of year with injury

2020-21 - UW-P played and started in 9 games

2021-22 - UW-P Played and started 25 games, put up big numbers

In May 2022 he announces he will transfer 

Looks like one option is someone who would sit behind yuri and learn to then see increased mins next year and the other is the definition of a veteran guard that some on this board have been asking for.

Forte has followed a bunch of 2023 and 24 HS players recently too but I'll leave that up to @Pistol 😉