Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

Shane Dezonie, former 4-star guard out of NE PA who was with Vandy last season, has apparently decommitted from hsi verbal to St. Joe's.  Dezonie was seen as another "Day One starter" for the Hawks.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don't believe the POY in whatever conference Smith played in is to come here for 5 or 10 backup PG minutes.  While he could do it, I see him wanting NBA dollars or big time minutes to eventually get NBA dollars.  That's got Big Ten written all over it.

If Smith came here he would trail only Yuri in minutes played. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I don't believe the POY in whatever conference Smith played in is to come here for 5 or 10 backup PG minutes.  While he could do it, I see him wanting NBA dollars or big time minutes to eventually get NBA dollars.  That's got Big Ten written all over it.

What in the world is this?

@Littlebill:  RUBills fan said "the staff believes we have a good shot at Malachi Smith if/when he withdraws from the NBA draft.  I fully expect to be disappointed on this, but it would be an awesome explanation for things being quiet on the backup PG front."  

RU put Smith and backup PG in the post, not me.  So I left it at that.  If Smith were to come and we ignore the backup/ninth man role, where do you see him fitting in and who does he take his minutes from?  Jimerson?  Thatch?  Perkins?  Pickett?  Parker?  Definitely Thames but Thames isn't getting much to start with.  Smith got 35.4 mpg with a championship/NCAA tournament team.  He's not going anywhere that he can't expect the same because if he goes somewhere else, he's still going to want to showcase for the next NBA draft.  

While he is from Belleville, and I think coming home would be both great for us and selfish on my part, there exists Illinois, Indiana, and even Ohio State as destinations relatively close to his home (and folks) and all are seen as P5 destinations for a guy with such talent.  Plus with his talent, you can't rule out Gonzaga (ala Cook) or Kansas (ala Martin).  

Bringing in a guy like that is akin to Tramaine Isabell who, given the lack of any depth on our roster in 2018-19, played in 35 of 36 games at a 32.6 mpg clip.  That's okay then; but how does it translate to our current roster now?  

Like the old Sixers of McGinnis, Erving, Free and Dawkins, I wonder if there would be enough basketballs to go around.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Littlebill:  RUBills fan said "the staff believes we have a good shot at Malachi Smith if/when he withdraws from the NBA draft.  I fully expect to be disappointed on this, but it would be an awesome explanation for things being quiet on the backup PG front."  

RU put Smith and backup PG in the post, not me.  So I left it at that.  If Smith were to come and we ignore the backup/ninth man role, where do you see him fitting in and who does he take his minutes from?  Jimerson?  Thatch?  Perkins?  Pickett?  Parker?  Definitely Thames but Thames isn't getting much to start with.  Smith got 35.4 mpg with a championship/NCAA tournament team.  He's not going anywhere that he can't expect the same because if he goes somewhere else, he's still going to want to showcase for the next NBA draft.  

While he is from Belleville, and I think coming home would be both great for us and selfish on my part, there exists Illinois, Indiana, and even Ohio State as destinations relatively close to his home (and folks) and all are seen as P5 destinations for a guy with such talent.  Plus with his talent, you can't rule out Gonzaga (ala Cook) or Kansas (ala Martin).  

Bringing in a guy like that is akin to Tramaine Isabell who, given the lack of any depth on our roster in 2018-19, played in 35 of 36 games at a 32.6 mpg clip.  That's okay then; but how does it translate to our current roster now?  

Like the old Sixers of McGinnis, Erving, Free and Dawkins, I wonder if there would be enough basketballs to go around.

If we *theoretically* were to get a guy like that (very unlikely), he immediately goes to the top level of the depth chart. Where does he get his minutes? All of the above. This is implied in RU's post because it is brutally obvious. He literally calls it "pie in the sky"

Bills By 40 likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

If we *theoretically* were to get a guy like that (very unlikely), he immediately goes to the top level of the depth chart. Where does he get his minutes? All of the above. This is implied in RU's post because it is brutally obvious

He'd take minutes from Yuri too and even I, the Yuri Collins Stan Account, would be 1000% OK with that. We'd have one of the best rosters in the nation.  

15 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

If we *theoretically* were to get a guy like that (very unlikely), he immediately goes to the top level of the depth chart. Where does he get his minutes? All of the above. This is implied in RU's post because it is brutally obvious. He literally calls it "pie in the sky"

Since we are talking about my post here, I just want to say that @Littlebill is 100% right here and @Taj79 is delusional if he thought I was trying to say that Smith would be the 9th man / backup PG only getting a handful of minutes.  My post was mean to say that he'd functionally be the backup PG while also playing next to Yuri a lot & he'd also be taking our final scholarship which would be an extremely optimistic / dream scenario of why recruiting has been quiet.  Fairly obvious that if Smith came in he'd get big minutes & a bunch of other guys would get less.

All of the above is dumb / most likely moot because I am not expecting us to get Smith.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

All of the above is dumb / most likely moot because I am not expecting us to get Smith.

i agree with the above.   i might be the least excited about smith as anyone on the board and i probably saw him more in high school than anyone on the board.   

that might be unfair as a player can greatly improve over 4 years.   i did think he was a nice player in high school but at the lower level he has excelled at not at a top 10 conference level.  if he comes, i hope he proves me wrong and shows me how much he improved. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Smith would get up to 25 min at the 2 spot, and 5-10 at PG. 

I am pretty suer that these college 2 guards like Smith and Ramey going through the NBA eval period are being told that any NBA future is as a PG. They are going to want max minutes there. Tough to do with Yuri on the roster. 

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

An important update for @Box and Won..........

Box had one more chance for Mutts and it did not happen for him.

I wanted Cockburn and that did not work out for me.

With one more scholarship available who will be the next Billiken and will they have an interesting name as the 2 players mentioned.