GDT: The Dukies

Fraz

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

At this rate Okoro becoming the best Billiken center in the modern era is not a stretch.

Yes he could get there.  One area he needs to work on is rim protection.  His 27 blocks, 1.4 blocks per game, isn't stellar.  Got to get around 50 this season to be Top 10.  And his lack of assists has been covered already in another thread. His offense has definitely improved this season.

I do hope he gets to the top tier of modern Billiken centers.

41 minutes ago, Compton said:

The entire Linssen, Okoro, Traore trifecta is something special.

Okoro has now moved up to 81st ITN in FG% and is very close in 2 other categories to breaking through the Top 100...Reb...a quarter of a reb/gm and on blocks a tenth of a block /gm ...a triple 100 guy is a very good player. 

Linssen was in the Top 100 in FG%  before he got hurt 

And Traore is the best shooter of the bunch at 61% ...but doesn't have enough shots to qualify for top 100.

stmdragons likes this

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Okoro has now moved up to 81st ITN in FG% and is very close in 2 other categories to breaking through the Top 100...Reb...a quarter of a reb/gm and on blocks a tenth of a block /gm ...a triple 100 guy is a very good player. 

Linssen was in the Top 100 in FG%  before he got hurt 

And Traore is the best shooter of the bunch at 61% ...but doesn't have enough shots to qualify for top 100.

Would give the Fall 2018 crew of French, Foreman and Gordon a run for their money.

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I wish he could learn how to play defense so he could get more time on the floor.  Cause he can really fly!

or in an effort to get his best athletes on the floor, switch the defense to one that focuses on athletes ability to control the opponents offense and takes advantage of the athleticism of those better athletes.   eventually they learn the shortcomings and become complete players.   

i.e. the answer is to play full court basketball going both ways.   play faster.   a lot faster.   we are wasting our race horses far too much.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

or in an effort to get his best athletes on the floor, switch the defense to one that focuses on athletes ability to control the opponents offense and takes advantage of the athleticism of those better athletes.   eventually they learn the shortcomings and become complete players.   

i.e. the answer is to play full court basketball going both ways.   play faster.   a lot faster.   we are wasting our race horses far too much.

When SLU is behind and has played full court on defense they have executed it well.

I agree 100 percent they have the players but the coach does not do it.

billiken_roy likes this

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'd love to play like Florida State.  Except Florida State athletes can actually handle the ball and shoot.  If your offensive contribution is mostly alley-oops, your basketball utility is limited.  In today's college game, the top teams are very good halfcourt teams. 

It's not an accident that Florida State has struggled in the halfcourt this year and aren't the team we're used to seeing.  Just throwing athletes on the floor, turning people over and dunking on the other end works great in high school, though. 

cgeldmacher likes this

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No challenge intended here, but I am curious what you define as 'best athletes'?

Is it the strongest on the bench press?  Fastest 94 feet?  Quickest in a shuttle?  Highest vertical?  To me it might be a combination of them all for best athlete, but none of these criteria lead directly to hoops or defense.  The 'best athlete' may not be the best basketball player.

My personal list of SLU's 5 best athletes would not include either Jimerson or Collins. 

cgeldmacher likes this

Net ranking jumped all the way to 62. Man, what a bummer that we couldn't close out Auburn or Belmont, and/or the UMass loss. 

Mason is a Q2 game. If Dayton finishes top 75, our game on Saturday is also Q2. Throw in the road Game @ SBU as another Quad 2 game. 

SLU is currently 1-3 in Q2 games. Even winning 2 of those 3 gets us to 3-4 in Q2. 

4-1 in the next 5 probably lands us in the mid 50s. 5-0 puts us on the right side of the bubble. The opportunity is still there and I think 9-2 to close the league slate puts us in the tourney. 

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd love to play like Florida State.  Except Florida State athletes can actually handle the ball and shoot.  If your offensive contribution is mostly alley-oops, your basketball utility is limited.  In today's college game, the top teams are very good halfcourt teams. 

It's not an accident that Florida State has struggled in the halfcourt this year and aren't the team we're used to seeing.  Just throwing athletes on the floor, turning people over and dunking on the other end works great in high school, though. 

Good points I see VCU do it and I want some of that for the Billikens but when I watch the top 25 teams play you are spot on about the half court.

I also notice how effective full court defense is against  SLU however many teams do not play it.

Auburn challenged the inbound passes and it worked well when they played SLU.

It comes down to the SLU player’s and coaches doing a better job of handling the press.

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No challenge intended here, but I am curious what you define as 'best athletes'?

Is it the strongest on the bench press?  Fastest 94 feet?  Quickest in a shuttle?  Highest vertical?  To me it might be a combination of them all for best athlete, but none of these criteria lead directly to hoops.  The 'best athlete' may not be the best basketball player.

My personal list of SLU's 5 best athletes would not include either Jimerson or Collins. 

I agree, i have seen a lot of great "athletes" who have minimal bb skills. It is obvious that strickland is a great athlete, not sure he has great bb skills. Shooting the ball is the most important, we saw that in the years the bills could not score, score the ball and get minutes

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I agree, i have seen a lot of great "athletes" who have minimal bb skills. It is obvious that strickland is a great athlete, not sure he has great bb skills. Shooting the ball is the most important, we saw that in the years the bills could not score, score the ball and get minutes

If I was Strickland I’d have spent last offseason working on my 3, and I’d do it again this year. Hire a shooting coach and put up 1000 shots a day. 

dennis_w likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Is it the strongest on the bench press?  Fastest 94 feet?  Quickest in a shuttle?  Highest vertical?  To me it might be a combination of them all for best athlete, but none of these criteria lead directly to hoops or defense.  The 'best athlete' may not be the best basketball player.

i disagree on collins.   

to simplify the discussion if the billikens did a decathlon competition who do we think would be the best competitors?   

and i need to clarify imo we have to combine the best of both basketball players and athletes.   in on floor players, when as as an example, when we play the likes of a team with collins, nesbitt strickland and hargrove and traore, we turn up the defense, playing full court defense and getting out on the break on possession changes back to us.   

when we have more or a team with jimmmerson and linssen and stickland and hargrove and traore arent in the game we still should play faster, just maybe not to the degree of being looked at as havoc or the old cincy teams in the 90's.   

with the athletes we have though, we should NEVER be walking the ball down the floor or running the stupid generic shuffle out by the halfline.  

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Net ranking jumped all the way to 62. Man, what a bummer that we couldn't close out Auburn or Belmont, and/or the UMass loss. 

Mason is a Q2 game. If Dayton finishes top 75, our game on Saturday is also Q2. Throw in the road Game @ SBU as another Quad 2 game. 

SLU is currently 1-3 in Q2 games. Even winning 2 of those 3 gets us to 3-4 in Q2. 

4-1 in the next 5 probably lands us in the mid 50s. 5-0 puts us on the right side of the bubble. The opportunity is still there and I think 9-2 to close the league slate puts us in the tourney. 

you need to add, "no more bad losses.   we cant afford losses to the bottom 2/3 of the conference imo.  i dont care if on the road or not.   to have a chance to even be a discussion subject, we cant lose those the rest of the way.  

19 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

KenPom has us at 61. I'm assuming that includes today's game. Imagine a slight bump in NET, landing somewhere between 68-66. 

Team needs another blowout and then a Q2 victory over Dayton next weekend. 

Dayton's November, with 3 Q4 losses, absolutely brutal. They're a really good team. Will be fun. 

SLU can't sleep on George Mason.  Beat ranked Maryland, beat Dayton, beat Georgia. Played KU well.  SLU needs to bring their "A" game.

George Mason playing UMass on USA Channel today at 2pm EST.  

Crewsorlose likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree on collins.   

to simplify the discussion if the billikens did a decathlon competition who do we think would be the best competitors?   

and i need to clarify imo we have to combine the best of both basketball players and athletes.   in on floor players, when as as an example, when we play the likes of a team with collins, nesbitt strickland and hargrove and traore, we turn up the defense, playing full court defense and getting out on the break on possession changes back to us.   

when we have more or a team with jimmmerson and linssen and stickland and hargrove and traore arent in the game we still should play faster, just maybe not to the degree of being looked at as havoc or the old cincy teams in the 90's.   

with the athletes we have though, we should NEVER be walking the ball down the floor or running the stupid generic shuffle out by the halfline.  

Fair enough.  And nothing says we have to agree Collins. 

Let's see, the best decathlete.....it's about accumulating points in each event.  You don't have to necessarily win any of the ten events, you just can't stink in any of the ten.  I have no idea who could finish the 1500 meters.  But, we know Hargrove can high jump, has foot speed, but could he pole vault and put the shot.  Fun question, but I'm going with Hargrove simply because of his HS high jump venture.  My second place finisher would be Thatch, due to his (hopeful) success in the shot and javelin.  We also know he can jump.  The 1500 could kill off anyone though! 🙂

27 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Not to light a debate, but this might be the nastiest dunk in SLU history.

There is no debate. And it's not even close. Mo Jeffers vs Bona is the gold standard. I don't know if there's video....Attn Brian Kunderman...but it would be AWESOME if we could relive it. 

Second place is Adam Knollmeyer with help of the trash can. 

SLU_Lax likes this