Travis Ford is a good coach

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ford deserves some credit for the development of Yuri and Jimmer - they had to each take on a lot more responsibility after Perkins went down. They both stepped up and really expanded their games. Thatch and Okoro are a couple of other examples of players who improved over the course of the season.

Our best teams in the last 30 years have come from players having to develop quickly due to unfortunate scenarios. Claggett and Highmark turned into stars because they had to play heavy minutes their freshman year due to transfers. Jett, McCall, etc. heavily benefitted from the extra minutes after situation 1. There’s no way that Jimerson and Yuri develop the way they did this season if Javonte doesn’t go down. I think we’ll see good results next year because of it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NIL is out of control ... any and all control including the NCAA.  And I don't think the courts envisions kids getting paid to play as it has evolved.  I thought the whole thing was for kids to be able to profit from their NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS.  I think Fred and Yuri and Jimerson and even Marhki with the chicken deal (if true) are well within the intent of the ruling.  I think giving kids straight money, expensive autos and other ridiculous items just to give them money will eventually be disciplined or regulated in some sort of way.  There is always the "intent" of the law versus the "spirit" of the law.  And for every law, there are thousands who ignore it and move on anyway.  

I doubt anyone driving through St. Louis seeing Javonte's face on a billboard advertising an O'Loughlin hotel is going to recognize that face and decide to go there based on that recognition.  Us MBMs might but there's no lure or cachet associated with Javonte (or any other Billiken present and in the recent past) who would justify any business owner outlaying cash for such advertising.  That's just not business smart in my book.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I think NIL is out of control ... any and all control including the NCAA.  And I don't think the courts envisions kids getting paid to play as it has evolved.  I thought the whole thing was for kids to be able to profit from their NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS.  I think Fred and Yuri and Jimerson and even Marhki with the chicken deal (if true) are well within the intent of the ruling.  I think giving kids straight money, expensive autos and other ridiculous items just to give them money will eventually be disciplined or regulated in some sort of way.  There is always the "intent" of the law versus the "spirit" of the law.  And for every law, there are thousands who ignore it and move on anyway.  

I doubt anyone driving through St. Louis seeing Javonte's face on a billboard advertising an O'Loughlin hotel is going to recognize that face and decide to go there based on that recognition.  Us MBMs might but there's no lure or cachet associated with Javonte (or any other Billiken present and in the recent past) who would justify any business owner outlaying cash for such advertising.  That's just not business smart in my book.

nil has made essentially the bags of cash legal, the players have to "do something" for the money, sign autographs, do interviews, maybe endorse a product. nil is not going away, learn to use it or fall behind. i suspect some of the 6th year players had enticement to return because of nil money

dennis --- believe your points to be right on.  Having said that, I can only see VCU and Dayton being in positions to "debate" the NIL program with the bigger boys.  SLU could.  Just don't see it happening.  Just MHO.

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

https://spry.so/nil-state-guide/missouri-nil-law-for-ncaa/

i dont think the ncaa started the nil thing it was the courts and it is wide open for players with no limit on the income. A guy like luther burden de commits from oklahoma to go to missouri and says "it was a business decision" he is getting paid. i wont pretend to know all the ins and outs of nil, but if slu wants the best players to come and stay they need to know

i'd hate to base my defense on "well the university of xyz does it all the time."   or something like, "player abc just accepted money from a morning coffee group that sits together at the xyz games all the time."   i would think it would be in anyone wanting to play in the nil game to clear things with compliance folks before even offering such to any player.

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd hate to base my defense on "well the university of xyz does it all the time."   or something like, "player abc just accepted money from a morning coffee group that sits together at the xyz games all the time."   i would think it would be in anyone wanting to play in the nil game to clear things with compliance folks before even offering such to any player.

missouri law if i read that correctly you have to contact the players nil agent first

On 3/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, Cowboy II said:

-aren't there 13 schollies available and CFord and Staff determine who gets them? I can't see this happening but if CFord tells JPerk I need an answer as to your return by whatever date or the program will move on CFord has that ability

I had him as not counting against the 13. I'm sure that's been discussed and I missed it. With that being said, Ford needs to know sooner than later. 

The thought of Jimmerson and Perkins playing together would be as good as the Roland Gray- Monroe Douglas days. It excites the whole program. Both of these players will be better if there are multiple options on offense. We also need a better back up for URI. Perhaps the SLUH kid can learn to play D1 defense 

Bumping this thread to ask - Am I the only one excited about the transfers? Nesbitt being the only one I'm not thrilled about because of his potential, but I'm not confident he'd ever truly reach it. 

Everyone credits (or discredits) Ford's greatest (in some's words "only") ability as a coach is to recruit. He's obviously good at it. These open roster spots with the transfer portal as large as it is create so much potential for improvement and I'm so anxious to see what he does with the newly developed team needs. 

22 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Bumping this thread to ask - Am I the only one excited about the transfers? Nesbitt being the only one I'm not thrilled about because of his potential, but I'm not confident he'd ever truly reach it. 

Everyone credits (or discredits) Ford's greatest (in some's words "only") ability as a coach is to recruit. He's obviously good at it. These open roster spots with the transfer portal as large as it is create so much potential for improvement and I'm so anxious to see what he does with the newly developed team needs. 

I am. With all due respect to Strickland, Dre, and Williams.  I firmly believe we can get one if not two players better - or impactful 

TF has been a great closer; let me join those who have pointed out A Big (who rebounds and controls paint- I like okoro but we need 2 of 3 sold players. A ball handler who doesn’t get the ball stolen or throw cross court passes to the stands and a rebounding 4 who can go to the hole on offense

27 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

as long as ford is willing to admit he f'd up and he will either 1. adjust his style of play to match his players or 2. only recruit players that match his style of play.   otherwise we will just have the same result.   strickland and nesbitt leaving begs for his coach adjustment.   we cant let players of that athletic ability walk away.   if they had holes it was ford's job to fix them.   he did not. 

Marlow and Coach314 like this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I am. With all due respect to Strickland, Dre, and Williams.  I firmly believe we can get one if not two players better - or impactful 

All three of them turned out to be nothing more than practice squad guys. There's so much room for improvement. 

58 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

All three of them turned out to be nothing more than practice squad guys. There's so much room for improvement. 

that is true imo only because as has been the case every year ford has been the billiken coach by typically before christmas, ford settles on his 7 (8 max) rotation and the rest of the roster becomes blow out game players.   not necessarily because they arent good enough.   im now convinced we could have the boston celtics roster and he wouldnt play but 7 players.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

as long as ford is willing to admit he f'd up and he will either 1. adjust his style of play to match his players or 2. only recruit players that match his style of play.   otherwise we will just have the same result.   strickland and nesbitt leaving begs for his coach adjustment.   we cant let players of that athletic ability walk away.   if they had holes it was ford's job to fix them.   he did not. 

Is the player not accountable at all? 

awful lot of players not being accountable.   it doesnt bother you that he had a roster of 13 players and he so many deemed not good enough to play meaningful minutes?

games are short and coaches want there best players on the floor as much as possible, i will not take the time to look it up but i bet you will find most schools do not go past 8 players with meaningful minutes. the coaches watch and chart every practice, they know who can play and who cant and with transfer portal players dont want to sit and develop and work on skills. cant put all of this transfer stuff on the coach. players have little patience

slufanskip and RUBillsFan like this

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

When was the last time a player left and lit it up somewhere else? Let’s see where they land and how things turn out.  But the guys leaving the program haven’t been going to schools in the same level of higher and tearing it up

1 minute ago, Slowry said:

When was the last time a player left and lit it up somewhere else? Let’s see where they land and how things turn out.  But the guys leaving the program haven’t been going to schools in the same level of higher and tearing it up

been meaning to pose same ? Post Brad I don't think we've had any guys that signed that ended up huge somewhere else. maybe I'm forgetting...

53 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Best examples might be:

Under Crews: Glaze at GCU (14.0ppg, 8.8reb), McBroom at EWU (21.0ppg, 3.7ast), Yarbrough at Ill. St. (16.7ppg, 6.8reb), Reynolds at Pacific (13.3ppg).

Recruited by Crews but played an injury plagued year under Ford: Bishop at Norfolk St. (15.6ppg)

Under Ford: Johnson at Louisiana (15.5ppg, 6.6reb)

2 hours ago, Compton said:

Best examples might be:

Under Crews: Glaze at GCU (14.0ppg, 8.8reb), McBroom at EWU (21.0ppg, 3.7ast), Yarbrough at Ill. St. (16.7ppg, 6.8reb), Reynolds at Pacific (13.3ppg).

Recruited by Crews but played an injury plagued year under Ford: Bishop at Norfolk St. (15.6ppg)

Under Ford: Johnson at Louisiana (15.5ppg, 6.6reb)

Literally in his post said “at the same level or higher”

the only one you’d have half an argument was at this level was Yarbrough at ISU. And they dealt with a lot with him

A10Ref and slufanskip like this