Jump to content

This Message Board is Toxic and Stifles Independent Thought


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Stupidest thread in billikens.com history, and that's saying a lot.

I still prefer this to the threads about us joining a different conference 

Expand the big east

Invite loyola to the A10 

Make a super conference with Gonzaga 

Join the AAC

MVC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I still prefer this to the threads about us joining a different conference 

Expand the big east

Invite loyola to the A10 

Make a super conference with Gonzaga 

Join the AAC

MVC

You forgot the Catholic Conference. What are your thoughts on the midwest and eastern Catholic schools all banding together? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

This is honestly pretty disgusting too.

Maybe you can call Chris May and let him know. Maybe get him banned from Chaifitz Arena. 

Trolls are sad people, such boring lives that they actually find trolling message boards to be a good use of their time. I agree Steve needs to get rid of someone. You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First he goes after lifelong billikens.com family rich, then he threatens our founder and messageboard owner the signguy, now he attacks top billikens benefactor, doc c.  Pretty obvious talbert not a billiken fan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, billiken_roy said:

First he goes after lifelong billikens.com family rich, then he threatens our founder and messageboard owner the signguy, now he attacks top billikens benefactor, doc c.  Pretty obvious talbert not a billiken fan

Yep that's the problem in a nutshell. There are about 15 members that can say and behave however they want while actively driving away new fans by chastising them for having an opinion the deviates from the hive mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Maybe you can call Chris May and let him know. Maybe get him banned from Chaifitz Arena. 

Trolls are sad people, such boring lives that they actually find trolling message boards to be a good use of their time. I agree Steve needs to get rid of someone. You

Maybe you're right, but he'd never do that because this place is a free-for-all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Yep that's the problem in a nutshell. There are about 15 members that can say and behave however they want while actively driving away new fans by chastising them for having an opinion the deviates from the hive mind.

Now you're getting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Yep that's the problem in a nutshell. There are about 15 members that can say and behave however they want while actively driving away new fans by chastising them for having an opinion the deviates from the hive mind.

Dude, I rarely ever post on here but you are all over the place in this game day thread. Frankly put, I come here for Billiken basketball and could care less about the drama between two grown ass adults.

If you're upset by comments made go to THAT person in a private message. If you don't like the reply/content take it to the moderation team. Simple as that! Just make sure to give them time because as other have said it's not their full time job. If problem still are there all those steps have been taken than sure make the thread you did however your comments about Steve's job liking what's posted on this website is exactly why the site has this legal banner 

This site is not affiliated with or sanctioned by Saint Louis University. Billikens.com is owned and operated by SignGuy's Sites, LLC. This message board is a public forum. Posters to this forum have agreed that SignGuy’s Sites LLC and its moderators do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are therefore not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of SignGuy’s Sites LLC or the moderators of this forum.

Granted I don't read everything in every thread but we are all entitled to post whatever views/opinions we want no matter post count. The important thing is that if you are posting that you bring something new to the conversation and at this point if we aren't saying anything new it's seen as annoying spam to me. Just my 2 cents. 

With that said let's get back to basketball! And I can't stand those damn cowbells! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Yep that's the problem in a nutshell. There are about 15 members that can say and behave however they want while actively driving away new fans by chastising them for having an opinion the deviates from the hive mind.

 

19 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Now you're getting it.

Trolls standing up for trolls. Gotta love the solidarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

 

Trolls standing up for trolls. Gotta love the solidarity.

But he's right. You can't afford to run off new posters/potential fans because the fanbase isn't expansive. In fact, it's damn near ancient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

But he's right. You can't afford to run off new posters/potential fans because the fanbase isn't expansive. In fact, it's damn near ancient.

Go look at the posting history of @TaLBErtand @Brighton. I have absolutely no problem running off posters like that. Sorry, not sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

ACC and A-10 aka The East Coast Bus League are the most overrated conferences this year. The Bus League and the Bonnies were embarrassed today. We need to get out of this chump conference and rejoin a rising power conference, the Valley.

Summit League all the way. Just think of the rivalries we would have with the Roos, Jackrabbits, Bisons and Leathernecks. And of course think of the game with the Golden Eagles-not just any ole eagle, but the Golden Eagles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Go look at the posting history of @TaLBErtand @Brighton. I have absolutely no problem running off posters like that. Sorry, not sorry.

Again, this is the problem.

I've been on this board for a long time, and there's nothing in my posting history that would indicate that I'm a troll. Will you find posts where I'm critical of my alma mater? Yes. Snarky and hilarious posts? Absolutely. Posts where I'm heartbroken over a loss? Yep. Posts where I'm celebrating a victory? Heck yes!

I am a bonafide Billiken fan and alumni.

Now, about this thread.

Was I a bit thin-skinned about being told, "Please make sure you get your entire head in front of the shotgun?" Maybe. That's always going to be a disgusting thing to say to another person, especially over college basketball realignment. Someone close to me was lost to suicide, and it struck a nerve. I’ll forever be appalled that Steve wouldn’t come out and renounce such language on his site. I think that would have gone a long way towards making the forum more civil. As I said, it’s his site, and that’s something I’ll have to get over.

People come here seeking community and are regularly driven away by the mob. Let's be honest the Billikens need every fan they can get. This thread isn't the first of its kind, and I'm hardly the only one to feel this way. I made this thread to try and invoke some change. It was a poor attempt. It was started with anger in my heart and undoubtedly came off that way. I believe that this forum needs moderators. I do not understand why you, Steve, are so resistant to the idea. Maybe you just can’t find anyone, but a few even-keeled folks who can call off the mob or give a poster who has crossed the line a timeout would make this board a much more vibrant community.

All that said, I’m not going anywhere. This is really the only game in town, and Billiken basketball is something that brings me joy. You can flag every bit of content I create as a troll post if you must, but I don’t think that will matter. There are reasonable people on this forum that will balance things out.

Go Billikens! Let’s get this win today!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Summit League all the way. Just think of the rivalries we would have with the Roos, Jackrabbits, Bisons and Leathernecks. And of course think of the game with the Golden Eagles-not just any ole eagle, but the Golden Eagles. 

No Summit League, we don't any part of Oral Roberts. Plus, the Athletic Dept. saves on travel expense in the Valley. I'm ready for Arch Madness!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

Again, this is the problem.

I've been on this board for a long time, and there's nothing in my posting history that would indicate that I'm a troll. Will you find posts where I'm critical of my alma mater? Yes. Snarky and hilarious posts? Absolutely. Posts where I'm heartbroken over a loss? Yep. Posts where I'm celebrating a victory? Heck yes!

I am a bonafide Billiken fan and alumni.

Now, about this thread.

Was I a bit thin-skinned about being told, "Please make sure you get your entire head in front of the shotgun?" Maybe. That's always going to be a disgusting thing to say to another person, especially over college basketball realignment. Someone close to me was lost to suicide, and it struck a nerve. I’ll forever be appalled that Steve wouldn’t come out and renounce such language on his site. I think that would have gone a long way towards making the forum more civil. As I said, it’s his site, and that’s something I’ll have to get over.

People come here seeking community and are regularly driven away by the mob. Let's be honest the Billikens need every fan they can get. This thread isn't the first of its kind, and I'm hardly the only one to feel this way. I made this thread to try and invoke some change. It was a poor attempt. It was started with anger in my heart and undoubtedly came off that way. I believe that this forum needs moderators. I do not understand why you, Steve, are so resistant to the idea. Maybe you just can’t find anyone, but a few even-keeled folks who can call off the mob or give a poster who has crossed the line a timeout would make this board a much more vibrant community.

All that said, I’m not going anywhere. This is really the only game in town, and Billiken basketball is something that brings me joy. You can flag every bit of content I create as a troll post if you must, but I don’t think that will matter. There are reasonable people on this forum that will balance things out.

Go Billikens! Let’s get this win today!

Lighten up, it's just basketball and a message board. Just LOL at stuff you don't like and move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WTF, we used to have high quality trolls like basketballcountry Triangle and even Gary. Now we got low grade trolls.  If we can’t hit jumpers, can we at least get higher quality trolls than the thread starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

First he goes after lifelong billikens.com family rich, then he threatens our founder and messageboard owner the signguy, now he attacks top billikens benefactor, doc c.  Pretty obvious talbert not a billiken fan

Terrible post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP

I am a lurker here, but have posted some throughout the years.

I wouldn’t consider this site toxic or to have any impact on free thought. It’s actually probably the best space online to find the most accurate and updated billiken info you can. It has its flaws.. but it’s a FAN site.

You just don’t like the ideology of the majority of the posters here. Or maybe they don’t like yours. It doesn’t mean you’re wrong. It just means most people here view the team and program differently than you do. but I would say it’s far from free thought oppression or toxic..

if you don’t like it, I would recommend finding a new site or even start a new site if you don’t like the culture. Personally, I don’t disagree with talking MVC. I think it’s a fun topic. But some of the heavy posters here aren’t going to listen to it because it’s been discussed here 1000 times...

I do think somebody telling you to kill yourself is stupid. Even if jest or intended as a bar scene insult.. (Which it was.. and you know it..)

But for liability reasons in today’s environment, it should be deleted. And shouldn’t be said. Unfortunately there are people who might take it serious, that might be struggling with mental illness and suggesting this to anyone you don’t know even as a joke is pretty ignorant. But you seem intelligent enough to realize he was just being an ass hole and didn’t want you to kill yourself over a suggestion on which conference a basketball team should play in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...