Jump to content

Path to NCAA Tourney


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

Drake deserves it. 6-2 in Q1/2. 23-4 overall in D1. And they've been playing without their 2 best players.

They’ll get smoked in the tournament imo. At-large bids should be competitive against top talent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

Drake deserves it. 6-2 in Q1/2. 23-4 overall in D1. And they've been playing without their 2 best players.

Oh please.  9 of those wins came in the 312th noncon schedule

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drake played no one in the nonconference schedule, which included NAIA St. Ambrose, D-2 McKendree, Summit League "powers" 174 South Dakota (x2), 296 North Dakota, 324 Nebraska-Omaha, along with 203 Kansas State, 317 Air Force, and 346 Chicago State.

Drake's only good Valley opponent was 16 Loyola Chicago, to whom Drake lost at home 81-54 and today on a neutral floor 75-65, in addition to a 2nd day home win in OT 51-50.  

If Drake gets an At Large bid ahead of SLU, the system will have been stood on its head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO there are 5 spots left and 13 teams competing for them.

Louisville, Xavier, Colorado St, Boise St, Drake, Syracuse, Ole Miss, Utah St, SMU, Memphis, St Johns, and Seton Hall.

I think we are right on the edge at the moment. Need those teams to lose 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

SLU is closer to an at large than Drake. That’s a book it. 

A lot of people talked themselves in to a two-bid Valley after Drake went 1-1 against Loyola, but between the weak SOS and the fact that Drake has lost two more games and will be without two starters...

Hard to imagine the committee picks Drake or SLU over another Big 10 team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WUH said:

A lot of people talked themselves in to a two-bid Valley after Drake went 1-1 against Loyola, but between the weak SOS and the fact that Drake has lost two more games and will be without two starters...

Hard to imagine the committee picks Drake or SLU over another Big 10 team.

If it comes down to Drake and SLU and Drake goes in it will be pretty insane.  Drake did exactly what we did in the last few weeks. Won a game against the top dog in their conference and also had a bad loss, then won one tourney game against a poor team, following that with a loss to the 1 seed. The only thing different is that we had the 2 losses right off COVID and the VCU loss.  The 2 post covid losses need to be weighed differently. VCU Game was a sham.  This Drake team is not that good and I think we would beat them by 10 on any floor. 

When do we play the extra game?

 

Also Xavier with a mid 50s NET shouldn't be safely in..but they seem to be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also the Mountain West teams are annoying. They all essentially only have quality wins against each other. None of them really stand out except San Diego State. Boise was swept by Nevada and Utah State is inconsistent and has injuries. Colorado State can look really good but also look really bad when the 3s don't fall. 

None of the teams in the "last 4 in" can really claim a win up there with LSU unless you count wins vs SD State.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-that sure was a long 1.7seconds, helps to play at home

Unless there is something different about the last minute of a game, the refs start and stop the game clock. Whistle stops it, a button on a wireless device (worn on the belt) starts it. The scoreboard operator hasn’t run the clock for several years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Updated through games of 3/7/21, NET:

VCU 35, Georgia Tech 38, Boise State 43, SLU 44, Drake 47, Utah State 48, Syracuse 49, Colorado State 50, Louisville 51, Memphis 52, Ole Miss 53,  SMU 56, Xavier 57, Seton Hall 58, Duke 60, Wichita State 65, NC State 66, Michigan State 67, St. John’s 68.

For comparison, MIzzou, considered IN, a lock, is 45, one slot below SLU. 

Also Maryland 34 lost at home and was swept by Penn State (10-13, 7-12).  Maryland and Michigan State are both sub-.500, 9-11, in the Big Ten. 

Comment:  

Per the NET, SLU should be IN. But the bracketologists mostly have SLU in the First Four OUT. 

Why have the NET if it is going to be ignored, or at minimum, discounted? 

If the bracketologists are correct, then there sure appears to be slotting by conference, despite the NCAA claiming that does not happen.  I have never believed it does not happen in reality.

There is no way Drake is better than SLU. Drake played absolutely no one in the non-conference. SLU played and beat LSU, NC State and lost a competitive game at Minnesota (at a time when Minnesota was playing well). 

There used to be an unwritten, de facto rule that a team (Power 5) had to be at least .500 in conference play to receive an NCAA At Large bid.  That one dropped in a year when the ACC was at the very top, with at least 2 premier teams, and a sub-.500 ACC Wake Forest team was allowed IN.  This year it appears Maryland and Michigan State, both sub-.500 in the Big Ten, will get NCAA At Larges, with Michigan State barely even on the spectrum per the NET.  Plus, the experts have Michigan State getting a "bye," avoiding the Last 4 Opening Round.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Updated through games of 3/7/21, NET:

VCU 35, Georgia Tech 38, Boise State 43, SLU 44, Drake 47, Utah State 48, Syracuse 49, Colorado State 50, Louisville 51, Memphis 52, Ole Miss 53,  SMU 56, Xavier 57, Seton Hall 58, Duke 60, Wichita State 65, NC State 66, Michigan State 67, St. John’s 68.

For comparison, MIzzou, considered IN, a lock, is 45, one slot below SLU. 

Also Maryland 34 lost at home and was swept by Penn State (10-13, 7-12).  Maryland and Michigan State are both sub-.500, 9-11, in the Big Ten. 

Comment:  

Per the NET, SLU should be IN. But the bracketologists mostly have SLU in the First Four OUT. 

Why have the NET if it is going to be ignored, or at minimum, discounted? 

If the bracketologists are correct, then there sure appears to be slotting by conference, despite the NCAA claiming that does not happen.  I have never believed it does not happen in reality.

There is no way Drake is better than SLU. Drake played absolutely no one in the non-conference. SLU played and beat LSU, NC State and lost a competitive game at Minnesota (at a time when Minnesota was playing well). 

There used to be an unwritten, de facto rule that a team (Power 5) had to be at least .500 in conference play to receive an NCAA At Large bid.  That one dropped in a year when the ACC was at the very top, with at least 2 premier teams, and a sub-.500 ACC Wake Forest team was allowed IN.  This year it appears Maryland and Michigan State, both sub-.500 in the Big Ten, will get NCAA At Larges, with Michigan State barely even on the spectrum per the NET.  Plus, the experts have Michigan State getting a "bye," avoiding the Last 4 Opening Round.

 

The major problem with the NET this year is that there are a lot of apples to oranges comparisons.  Some teams have played almost a full schedule, other teams have played less than 60% of their schedule.  Without that 33 day pause, we'd have some impressive road victories to tout on our resume.  Unfortunately, we played a limited conference schedule, with only 4 road games.  Our only road victory is against Fordham. 

And our entire conference schedule was played after the pause, after 3 days of practice.  We never got the opportunity to start the most competitive part of schedule off on the right foot.   But nobody has any sympathy for us being held hostage by the City of St. Louis.  That's a local problem.

Ultimately, we're being punished by bracketologists for testing positive and not being able to overcome it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The major problem with the NET is that there are a lot of apples to oranges comparisons.  Some teams have played almost a full schedule, other teams have played less than 60% of their schedule.  Without that 33 day pause, we'd have some impressive road victories to tout on our resume.  Unfortunately, we played a limited conference schedule, with only 4 road games.  Our only road victory is against Fordham. 

And our entire conference schedule was played after the pause, after 3 days of practice.  We never got the opportunity to start the most competitive part of schedule off on the right foot.   But nobody has any sympathy for us being held hostage by the City of St. Louis.  That's a local problem.

Ultimately, we're being punished by bracketologists for testing positive and not being able to overcome it. 

And meanwhile, Colgate, that's right, frickin' Colgate, is 8th in the NET. An explanation of how 5 wins over Boston University, 4 wins over Holy Cross, and 3 wins over Army, along with a loss to Army merits a ranking of 8th in the NET is needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And our entire conference schedule was played after the pause, after 3 days of practice.  We never got the opportunity to start the most competitive part of schedule off on the right foot.   But nobody has any sympathy for us being held hostage by the City of St. Louis.  That's a local problem.

How do we know they were “held hostage” by the City of St Louis? It’s not like we had one positive and then had to shut down the whole program. Basically everybody including our coach actually contracted the virus during that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

And meanwhile, Colgate, that's right, frickin' Colgate, is 8th in the NET. An explanation of how 5 wins over Boston University, 4 wins over Holy Cross, and 3 wins over Army, along with a loss to Army merits a ranking of 8th in the NET.


That shows you the weakness of the NET.  If the committee went solely by that Colgate would be a 2 seed.  What are the chances that a 15 seed would “upset” them?  As Larry David would say:  Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NH said:

How do we know they were “held hostage” by the City of St Louis? It’s not like we had one positive and then had to shut down the whole program. Basically everybody including our coach actually contracted the virus during that time.

Wouldn’t have mattered anyway. (Seems our post Covid play was less stellar than we wanted so playing more games wouldn’t have changed anything.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NH said:

How do we know they were “held hostage” by the City of St Louis? It’s not like we had one positive and then had to shut down the whole program. Basically everybody including our coach actually contracted the virus during that time.

So did Houston.  But they were not out 33 days.  That's a response to local policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...