Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Serious question- if VCU loses to Dayton and we beat Bonaventure, do we have a better resume?

VCU is up 15 on Dayton with 12 to play.  I don't think this scenario is very likely, but I'd say yes or at least it is very very close.  We would likely have a higher NET and more Q1 wins.  They beat us head to head (without their best scorer), but it was by 2 at their place on a questionable call.

15 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Serious question- if VCU loses to Dayton and we beat Bonaventure, do we have a better resume?

Don't want to think about. Fortunately VCU is currently up big. Hopefully they hold on and it won't matter.

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Rooting interests for today 

(KenPom odds of favorable SLU result in parenthesis)

*'s are how important the game is by my estimate

bold are opponents SLU has played (or played more often if we played both)

italics are fellow bubble teams

after the - are my comments

10am CT St Bona (76%) over Duq - we played Bona, but haven't played Duq so this a small boost plus it gives us a bigger boost to beat Bona next round than beating Duq.

11am CT Loyola (93%) over SIU** - need Loyola to win the MVC auto-bid to avoid someone else stealing a bid (see Drake loss later)

12pm CT SAINT LOUIS (73%) over UMass******** - duh

2pm CT Indiana State (70%)  over Evansville - makes SLU W over Indy St look better

2:30pm CT Dayton (32%) over VCU - we lost to Dayton twice (& VCU only once), so this would make losses a little better

5pm CT Northern Iowa (19%) over Drake** - knocks Drake off the bubble, we need this & Loyola to win the MVC tournament

7pm CT Wake Forest (19%) over Georgia Tech*

7pm CT UAPB (79%) over Miss Valley St - MVSU is beyond terrible

8pm CT Nevada (44%) over Colorado State**

I could really go either way on the other A10 games - maybe we want both Bona & VCU to lose so we have a better chance to win the entire A10 tournament and/or knock fellow these bubble teams down OR maybe we want them to win because we want more A10 teams to make the NCAAs and/or beating them or losing to them is better for our resume than beating or losing to others.

So far we're 4/5 on the results and VCU beating Dayton is a pretty minor one / could have gone either way depending upon how you consider it from our perspective.  Favored team has won all the games so far.  Let's hope that changes this evening.  Rooting hard for the UNI Panthers and Nevada Wolfpack.

Ummm

#1 - I hope both UNI and Drake players & staff are all healthy

#2 - Would the MO Valley Conference fake a COVID pause to try to have Drake hang onto their NCAA at-large spot?

#3 - If Drake doesn't play in the MVC tournament, should they still be in line for an at-large?

Edit: Never mind seems to be a UNI issue.  Not great for SLU if Drake essentially gets a "bye" into the semi-finals.  I'd rather they have 2 chances to lose a game to a non-Loyola opponent than 1.

9 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Game is cancelled. Covid issue with UNI.

So frustrating.  Drake's resume is paper thin.  It is based on playing no one good except Loyola and beating Loyola by 1 point on the 2nd day of a back to back after getting destroyed by Loyola the day before.  They've also lost 2 of their best players to injury for the rest of the season.  I feel bad for them & hope they make the NCAAs over a mediocre P5 team, but they should absolutely not be an at-large team over SLU.

JMM28 likes this

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

So frustrating.  Drake's resume is paper thin.  It is based on playing no one good except Loyola and beating Loyola by 1 point on the 2nd day of a back to back after getting destroyed by Loyola the day before.  They've also lost 2 of their best players to injury for the rest of the season.  I feel bad for them & hope they make the NCAAs over a mediocre P5 team, but they should absolutely not be an at-large team over SLU.

Possible this could hurt Drake more than it helps them? I agree with everything you just said and imagine the committee will think the same. Drake needs every opportunity they have to prove they belong. Sure, UNI wouldn't be a huge win, but it's one less opportunity for them to pad their really thin resume. 

19 minutes ago, Compton said:

Possible this could hurt UNI more than it helps them? I agree with everything you just said and imagine the committee will think the same. Drake needs every opportunity they have to prove they belong. Sure, UNI wouldn't be a huge win, but it's one less opportunity for them to pad their really thin resume. 

I don't think this game being cancelled hurts Drake at all from a resume standpoint.  A win over UNI doesn't do anything for them.  They already have a ton of Q3 - Q4 wins.  A loss on the other hand would have been devastating for their at-large hopes.  They should be pretty grateful that game was cancelled.  Tomorrow we're all MO State Bears fans assuming MO State (hopefully) handles Valpo tonight.

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The plot thickens.  I think the MO State / Valpo winner was seen hanging around with UNI.  They'd better cancel that game too just in case.

Drake athletic director on the radio saying it was the city that wouldn’t allow the game to be played. Embarrassment all around. How idiotic. 

2 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Nevada beats Colorado stats on a last second three pointer!!

Honestly the mountain west is a joke. We should be ahead of Col. state and boise. And BYU from the WCC has the thinnest top 20 NET I have ever seen, and should not be safe. SLU would beat them on any court by 8

Rooting interests for today (Saturday, March 6, 2021)

bold are opponents SLU has played

italics are fellow bubble teams - I'm being pretty generous with the bubble definition both ways here because every little bit helps

11am CT South Carolina over Kentucky - UK is probably off the bubble so far below .500, but I'd rather not give the the committee a chance to select a blue blood over us

11am CT Georgetown (20%) over UConn

11am CT Minnesota (48%) over Rutgers** - Minnesota is pretty much off the bubble OUT at this point, so we want them to win to make our loss there look better.

11am CT Pitt (29%) over Clemson

12pm CT Loyola (84%) over Indiana State*** - even though we beat Indiana State, we want Loyola to get the MVC auto-bid

12pm CT Auburn (58%) over Miss St

12pm CT South Florida (18%) over Wichita State***

1pm CT Purdue (71%) over Indiana 

1pm CT Central Ark (39%) over Northwestern St

2pm CT LSU (49%) over Mizzou - LSU is closer to the bubble, but both are pretty firmly IN and we want that to stay a Q1 win for us

3pm CT Virginia (56%) over Louisville

3pm CT USC (57%) over UCLA - 

3pm CT MO State (36%) over Drake***

5pm CT SAINT LOUIS (46%) over St Bonaventure**** - duh

5pm CT UNC (60%) over Duke** - Both are sort of bubble teams, but UNC Is ahead of us and Duke below.  I think a W for Duke may leapfrog them while UNC still stays ahead of us.  That's how bubble math works for P5 blue bloods.

6pm CT Vandy (28%) over Ole Miss*

6pm CT St Johns (51%) over Seton Hall **- Seton Hall is just ahead of us and St Johns pretty well below

8pm CT Loyola Marymount (43%) over Saint Mary's

8pm CT VCU (60%) over Davidson - I can go either way on this.  I think a loss to VCU in the finals & we're still in. Losing to Davidson may bump us because the committee doesn't want to give the A10 4 bids.  Probably easier to beat Davidson in the finals though and the potential for a 4 bid A10 is nice to think about for NCAA $.

8pm CT Marquette (51%) over Xavier***

10pm CT Fresno State (19%) over Utah St***

Let's do this.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, RUBillsFan said:

Rooting interests for Friday:

bold are opponents SLU has played (or played more often if we played both)

italics are fellow bubble teams

10am CT St Bona (76%) over Duq - we played Bona, but haven't played Duq so this a small boost plus it gives us a bigger boost to beat Bona next round than beating Duq.

11am CT Loyola (93%) over SIU** - need Loyola to win the MVC auto-bid to avoid someone else stealing a bid (see Drake loss later)

12pm CT SAINT LOUIS (73%) over UMass******** - duh

2pm CT Indiana State (70%)  over Evansville - makes SLU W over Indy St look better

2:30pm CT Dayton (32%) over VCU - we lost to Dayton twice (& VCU only once), so this would make losses a little better

5pm CT Northern Iowa (19%) over Drake** - knocks Drake off the bubble, we need this & Loyola to win the MVC tournament

7pm CT Wake Forest (19%) over Georgia Tech*

7pm CT UAPB (79%) over Miss Valley St - MVSU is beyond terrible

8pm CT Nevada (44%) over Colorado State**

I could really go either way on the other A10 games - maybe we want both Bona & VCU to lose so we have a better chance to win the entire A10 tournament and/or knock fellow these bubble teams down OR maybe we want them to win because we want more A10 teams to make the NCAAs and/or beating them or losing to them is better for our resume than beating or losing to others.

Good day for the Bills with 6 wins of the 8 games played. Colgate gets a chance to pad it's lofty net ranking by playing Boston U. for the 5th time this season. Wonder if teams have ever met that many times in a single college season.