Path to NCAA Tourney

Crewsorlose

13 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

This thread is not moving the needle

Are you saying this thread will have no effect on the committee’s decisions? 

Damn. Stop the thread, this is not going to work. 

seriously though, you’re a ficking genius aren’t you

BilliesBy40 likes this

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Are you saying this thread will have no effect on the committee’s decisions? 

Damn. Stop the thread, this is not going to work. 

I'd say its 50/50.

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I don't know about you all but I have convinced myself in the past 48 hours that we are making the tournament for sure.

The more we post in this thread the more we increase the chances. Let's make this thread "hot" so when you come to billikens.com it will say it's hot. The committee won't be able to ignore us then.

Littlebill, JMM28 and slufanskip like this

I don't know about you all but I have convinced myself in the past 48 hours that we are making the tournament for sure.

I thought there was zero chance and then as soon as Lunardi kept us in the first four out column I started retweeting everything supporting the Bills' case on Twitter and replying back to people tagged with college basketball writers with the following message:

"SLU's only two Quad 3 losses came after each player was confined to a hotel room for a month so I am not sure those losses even reflect anything about the quality of the team"  

It is not 100% crazy to think that if the committee sees this message over and over it might land somewhere in their subconcious when they are filling in the play in games.  

MattyMo213 likes this

1 minute ago, SLU_Nick said:

I thought there was zero chance and then as soon as Lunardi kept us in the first four out column I started retweeting everything supporting the Bills' case on Twitter and replying back to people tagged with college basketball writers with the following message:

"SLU's only two Quad 3 losses came after each player was confined to a hotel room for a month so I am not sure those losses even reflect anything about the quality of the team"  

It is not 100% crazy to think that if the committee sees this message over and over it might land somewhere in their subconcious when they are filling in the play in games.  

I think the La Salle and Dayton losses will be forgiven. I truly believe that. I think the 2nd loss to Dayton and the loss to VCU are killer. They are high quality losses but the big thing is that they were missed opportunities as wins. But I kind of think the committee is going to let us in for the following reasons:

- We have solid computer numbers especially in comparison to other bubble teams

- I think the committee may error on the side of caution in terms of covid punishments. They don't want any negative publicity around a team with a covid outbreak missing the tournament

- I know there is no conference cap/quota but I do think they allow 3 A10 teams in

- I think they will focus on our non conference performance

Saturday's loss, like any disappointment, has been followed by more level-headed thinking with time. Right now, we're squarely on the bubble. There are arguments to be made we deserve to be in over other bubble teams, and it isn't crazy to imagine the NCAA selection committee deciding the same. For example, if they discount our two losses after the COVID break, I think it's more likely than not that we'll be in. 

CBFan likes this

Good point here from Norlander. It is almost like most of these bubble guys are just in full agreement, with very few exceptions I wouldn't be surprised if this year, a lot of these guys are wrong.

Also, if you aren't following @SBUnfurled on twitter, you're missing out. Bonnies guy but one of the better twitter follows in the a10

I think the La Salle and Dayton losses will be forgiven. I truly believe that. I think the 2nd loss to Dayton and the loss to VCU are killer. They are high quality losses but the big thing is that they were missed opportunities as wins. But I kind of think the committee is going to let us in for the following reasons:

- I think the committee may error on the side of caution in terms of covid punishments. They don't want any negative publicity around a team with a covid outbreak missing the tournament

- I know there is no conference cap/quota but I do think they allow 3 A10 teams in

If the tournament selection was today, I think we would have a decent chance.  The thing is there is going to be a group of teams that will most likely improve their resume as the week goes on as normally happens.  We just need too much to go are way before selection Sunday to feel confident about our chances.  Can it happen? Sure, but the way things have gone this year for us doesn't have me confident.

Bizziken likes this

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Something tells me that the committee will notice that the Bonnies did not play non-conference, but won the conference. Then they will notice ossunyi’s wingspan and say, “wait, what?”, who are these guys. Then I think we will come back into the tournament. I mean, maybe the Bonnies are a top 10 or 15 team. Their lack of non-conference really throws everything off.

We need the p5 conferences to have conf tourney champions that were shoo-ins prior to the tourney.  Same with mid major's.   We need no above 40 NET teams winning their Tournament

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If the tournament selection was today, I think we would have a decent chance.  The thing is there is going to be a group of teams that will most likely improve their resume as the week goes on as normally happens.  We just need too much to go are way before selection Sunday to feel confident about our chances.  Can it happen? Sure, but the way things have gone this year for us doesn't have me confident.

Yes this is my fear. Especially in like the Mountain West where 2 bubble teams play each other. The nice thing is that one will lose but it sucks that one will get a quality win. That's why I really think we need any average game this week

I crunched some numbers and I think at this point we either make it or we don't. There is a good chance we will know on Sunday once the selection committee releases their bracket. If we do make it we will be playing in the big dance over in Indiana. If we don't make it we will be playing in the NIT down in Texas.  Thoughts?

23 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

How did the Head Coach reportedly being sick stop the team from being able to practice? SLU has an Associate Coach, multiple Assistant Coaches, and other staff who could assist at practice. 

There are legitimate questions that need to be addressed. Coach Ford himself, in lobbying for an NCAA bid Saturday night, cited our SLU team having faced protocols (restrictions) that no other team faced. 

I kind of assumed we had stricter protocols handed down from SLU admins during our pause, i.e. the guys couldn’t even touch a basketball for what seemed like a month. Doubt that would fly at more notable programs.

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I crunched some numbers and I think at this point we either make it or we don't. There is a good chance we will know on Sunday once the selection committee releases their bracket. If we do make it we will be playing in the big dance over in Indiana. If we don't make it we will be playing in the NIT down in Texas.  Thoughts?

You forgot about the third possibility: zombie apocalypse.

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

OG burner account?

slufanskip likes this

35 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

LSU wins the SEC tournament, we are in. NC St beats Syracuse will really help as well.

We're in a weird spot with NC State and also Minnesota to some degree because they're sort of behind us on the bubble, but not really in the picture right now.  We certainly don't want them to win their conferences respective auto-bids.  We want them to be good in their conference tournaments & win some games (especially against other bubble teams), but not so good they might leapfrog us for an at-large.

LSU (and all of the 1 bid conference teams we played*) are  lot more straight forward.  We just want them to win out.

* - these won't make much of any impact and it appears UAPB may be the only one still "active" anyways.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Here is the Twitter for the head of the selection committee as well as a link to the rest of the members

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-committee

https://twitter.com/UKMitchBarnhart?s=20

Where is SLU in regards to those rankings? I know the net is 44