GDT: vs LaSalle

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this isnt the same french from the previous 3 years.    he is still a very good player, but it seems he doesnt have the same level of enthusiasm.   we see spurts of the old french but he disappears far too often.  just give me a couple of those highlight reel blocks has please.   i also wonder if he has put on some unwanted weight.   i am not sure if linssen is better, i doubt it, but right now i see more activity and enthusiasm from linssen that i do from has.   we need the old french back.   

I think we have the old French back now. He was great in the URI and Fordham games and in the first half last night, aside from his (fully expected) missed FTs. He wasn't used or needed much in the second half.

Littlebill likes this

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this isnt the same french from the previous 3 years.    he is still a very good player, but it seems he doesnt have the same level of enthusiasm.   we see spurts of the old french but he disappears far too often.  just give me a couple of those highlight reel blocks has please.   i also wonder if he has put on some unwanted weight.   i am not sure if linssen is better, i doubt it, but right now i see more activity and enthusiasm from linssen that i do from has.   we need the old french back.   

I sometimes get the feeling Has is just playing out the string, but I think he’s trying as hard as ever. Taj Mahal 79 is right when he says Has’ offense is limited to the short hooks and occasional jams. Defenders know if you hack him that’s better than trying to legitimately defend him. I will say this, I think his passing decisions have improved over prior years. He’s looking for open guys rather than just bulling his way to a shot. As for Linssen, he has exceeded my expectations. He’s no stiff. 

5 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Don't know if this has been commented on, but I don't think I have ever seen a Billiken score 19 in 22 minutes...  Perkins is LETHAL.

I believe he had something like 18 in 19 min earlier

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I sometimes get the feeling Has is just playing out the string, but I think he’s trying as hard as ever. Taj Mahal 79 is right when he says Has’ offense is limited to the short hooks and occasional jams. Defenders know if you hack him that’s better than trying to legitimately defend him. I will say this, I think his passing decisions have improved over prior years. He’s looking for open guys rather than just bulling his way to a shot. As for Linssen, he has exceeded my expectations. He’s no stiff. 

Regarding Has free throws, I really want him to try underhanded.  He already is broken, it cannot get worse.  

RUBillsFan likes this

32 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Regarding Has free throws, I really want him to try underhanded.  He already is broken, it cannot get worse.  

This is a mental thing for him. He’s convinced he ain’t gonna make ‘em and so he doesn’t. Doesn’t matter how he shoots them. 

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I swear to God, Has made 4 of 5 in halftime shootaround vs URI. Nothing but net.

I watched him warmup at Davidson last year. He made 8 of 10 that I watched. Most hit nothing but net. Game starts he’s back to clanking them. Others have made the same observation. 

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

cant wait till French hits 4 straight FT's late to advance SLU to the S16

Remember when LaRussa put Ankiel in to pitch a post season game (might have been the World Series, my memory is fuzzy)  He threw behind the batter and stuff.  It was embarrassing.  

I don't think Has will make a breakthrough in that pressure filled moment.  Hopefully it'll be JBJ in that situation...

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Remember when LaRussa put Ankiel in to pitch a post season game (might have been the World Series, my memory is fuzzy)  He threw behind the batter and stuff.  It was embarrassing.  

I don't think Has will make a breakthrough in that pressure filled moment.  Hopefully it'll be JBJ in that situation...

JBJ and/or Linssen

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

cant wait till French hits 4 straight FT's late to advance SLU to the S16

If French is in the position to need to hit FTs to advance us to the Sweet 16, then Ford was horribly negligent in his coaching duties.  No way Has should be in a close game in a situation where he needs to hit FTs late in the game.  This includes being up & needing to hit FTs to stay ahead as well as being down by a few & not wanting the other team put him on the line to prevent us from scoring.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

It was the divisional series vs the Braves. Day game, I was like 10 or 11 in the 6th grade. Watched it at school during recess. I'll never forget it, Ankiel was my guy.

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It was the divisional series vs the Braves. Day game, I was like 10 or 11 in the 6th grade. Watched it at school during recess. I'll never forget it, Ankiel was my guy.

Was this right after catcher  Mike Matheny tried to cut off his thumb with a hunting knife and had to be replaced in the lineup?

dlarry likes this

35 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That basically destroyed Ankiel’s career as a pitcher.

Matheny received a hunting knife for his birthday before that game. He was putting it away and sliced his finger to the point of needing surgery and he had to miss the rest of the season.

If he doesn’t cut his finger I believe he talks Ankiel off the ledge and he goes on to be the dominate lefty we were hoping for.

If I remember correctly the knife was a present form Will Clark. 

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If it ain’t happened by now, it ain’t gonna happen. His misses ain’t even close to going in. 

I do not understand how people called me a troll. Martin has improved and French has declined rapidly. He is not at a pro level or even close. I believe Bell has more blocked shots than him. Blame covid or whatever but he has lost his right to start. When we see Okoro play next year with Martin, we will see how deficient French really is in PF skillsets. This is not the French we used to have and I don't want recency bias to have us lose in the tournament. I legitimately believe Martin on the floor has more + than French now