Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RiseAndGrind

Favorite All Time Billiken Memory

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

 

is it weird that i match up big life events to what was going on with the billikens? i vividly remember watching this game while drinking bourbon and texting my now-husband; this was the year we met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

is it weird that i match up big life events to what was going on with the billikens? i vividly remember watching this game while drinking bourbon and texting my now-husband; this was the year we met.

-and now you have Perry and hopefully soon, more bourbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-and now you have Perry and hopefully soon, more bourbon

Sitting behind the bench for a road win while a day past my due date will be hard to top in terms of Billiken memories. I'll remember December 2019 for having my first child...but also for that KState game 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going to spitball memories that are my favorite

  • Barry Eberhardt 3 in the corner to beat Dayton
  • Kwamain bank 3 to beat dayton
  • Brian Conklin against Washington - enough said
  • Beating memphis (what made it sweeter was Mizzou losing to Norfolk St. right as our game tipped)
  • Michigan State game - even though it was a loss, it was absolutely electric
  • Dwayne Evans absolutely dominating the A10 tournament in 2013 - especially beating Butler and fouling out their 7 footer
  • Going 5-0 against Butler and VCU in 2013 - especially stomping Butler at home
  • The NCState Game - it was miserable to watch but oh so sweet to also see Jordair take over
  • Fred Thatch steal to hammer dunk against Butler 18-19 season
  • Tramaine trying to get 40
  • Brooklyn victory - oh that was so sweet, I definitely shed tears of joy
  • This whole season watching Javonte Perkins become the most lethal shooter I have seen in my lifetime
  • Watching Has and Jordan both average double doubles. I am not sure if we will ever have a pair like those two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Just going to spitball memories that are my favorite

  • Barry Eberhardt 3 in the corner to beat Dayton
  • Kwamain bank 3 to beat dayton
  • Brian Conklin against Washington - enough said
  • Beating memphis (what made it sweeter was Mizzou losing to Norfolk St. right as our game tipped)
  • Michigan State game - even though it was a loss, it was absolutely electric
  • Dwayne Evans absolutely dominating the A10 tournament in 2013 - especially beating Butler and fouling out their 7 footer
  • Going 5-0 against Butler and VCU in 2013 - especially stomping Butler at home
  • The NCState Game - it was miserable to watch but oh so sweet to also see Jordair take over
  • Fred Thatch steal to hammer dunk against Butler 18-19 season
  • Tramaine trying to get 40
  • Brooklyn victory - oh that was so sweet, I definitely shed tears of joy
  • This whole season watching Javonte Perkins become the most lethal shooter I have seen in my lifetime
  • Watching Has and Jordan both average double doubles. I am not sure if we will ever have a pair like those two.

A lot of people have mentioned  stomping  Butler at home. I think Beating them on the road with our crowd  taking over was more memorable for me. Road victories are hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but beating then #2 Louisville behind Marque Perry's crazy performance is probably my favorite moment.  Helped that I was also still in school and the after party was quite good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to my list, and maybe this is a bit of recency bias, but that alley oop Yuri threw to Hargrove in the Bonnies game this year. From where I was sitting in the crowd, my reactions went from “Who’s he throwing it to?” to “ok, there’s TJ” to “ohmigod, the pass is too high, it’s gonna go over his head” to “OH MY GOD, DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN?!?!?”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 2, 2013.  The Kwan-led Billikens traveled to DC to take on a decent GW team (Larsen, Garino, etc.). Billiken alumni clad in blue were everywhere.  Chris May was there, saying hello to as many folks as he could before the game.  

Game was back and forth - tight.   Then the “Let’s go Bills” chant commenced.  SLU absolutely took over the Smith Center.  Colonial fans finally woke up and started shouting and cheering in an effort to drown out  the SLU roar..  Smith Center was “en fuego”....and then the Bills pulled away...and the GW crowd quieted...and the rest is history.  

My fondest SLU athletic-related memory out of many good soccer and basketball recollections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other favorites:

When SLU won that tournament in Anaheim.

When Gordon committed. I know it didn't work out but he was top 10 in the Country when he committed!

When Corey Tate left Mizzou to come to SLU. That was awesome on so many levels. I love Coach Tate so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) COLUMBUS.  Spent it with my dad and so many long suffering Bills fans.

2) Miracle in Memphis.  Flew down in time to party after Tulane W and watch Championship.

3) SIU Game at Old Barn.  Coming out Party for Spoonball.

4) SLU at DePaul in 93.  First road trip for me in college in midst of 14-0 start.

5) NC State. Epic Comeback.

6) Larry Legend at Marquette...saw it in person

7) Win at Hinkle.  Another trip with my pops..and a another W.

8) Washington (Conklin Screen) Symbolized what was to come.

9) Beating Penny.  Another notch in the 14-0 start at The Arena.

10) Beating Butler at Chaifetz.  Building was electric and they just took them to the woodshed.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- First half of the Washington game.  Chaifetz was electric.  Billikens basketball was back and was going to be the bet it ever was.

- Marque Perry beating #2 Louisville.  We hung around that whole game but no one expected us to win at any point.  Total bedlam when Perry won the game.

- Mo St game where Ian tipped it in at the buzzer.  Now we know it shouldn't have counted but that was a great game against a still relevant Mo St.

- Drejaj buzzer beater in the NIT over Iowa.  Another game where we were overmatched but somehow pulled it out.

- All the games we played in the dome, I think we had 3 or 4.  Mizzou, Illinois, Kansas St or Kansas.  Illinois probably had the best atmosphere.

- Butler away game.  Taking over Hinkle was a once in a lifetime experience.

- 98 in Atlanta.  Talking to UK fans on the MARTA after we beat UMASS was fun.  They didn't know who Larry was but they would soon.  

- Seeing Spoonball in SI was awesome to a 13 year old.

- Back to back NIT finals.  I was 8 but still remember MSG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first half of the Washington game was the best half any Billiken team has ever played . Period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 3:21 PM, slufanskip said:

Mine still goes all the way back to not long after I got to St. Louis. I had probably been to 4-5 Bills games and was listening to them consistently on the radio. My dad (who has since passed) came up from Arlington Tx and I got us tickets to the SIUC game at the Arena 1993, I think. The place was packed with over 17k. My parents were long time Mav's season ticket holders and took frequent trips to Austin to see UT play. It was such an amazing atmosphere and he was truly shocked that little St. Louis U was drawing as many fans as the Mav's and outdrawing big bad UT. Honestly that game was the real beginning of my love of SLU. 

Plus I went on two of the road trips with the Billiken Club in the 90's. Flew to Memphis once and New Orleans the other. We got there the night before, partied, slept in, went to the game the next night and flew back immediately after.  Both those trips were amazing and so much fun. 

Did any one else go on either of those? 

NM, sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, willie said:

The first half of the Washington game was the best half any Billiken team has ever played . Period. 

I’ll never forget the look on Alford’s face when we ran NM out of the gym, I think it was on NY Eve? He got thrown out of the game, to boot.

mhg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been great reading these memories as a newer Billikens fan, as I've been able to go back and learn a lot about SLU basketball history. My list is short and much more recent, but here's a few of mine:

-Watching the tournament teams from 2012-14. I was young and not really following college basketball, much less the Bills, but I remember going to a few games at Chaifetz with my dad and watching Mitchell, Jett, and Loe just to name a few.

-2019 A-10 championship run.

-Dayton home game. Even though it was a hard loss, the atmosphere inside Chaifetz was unmatched. Goodwin's layup to tie it almost blew the roof off of the place. 

-Watching our current team grow together. This year turned out much better than I expected after losing some big parts of our team from the year before, but now I'm so excited to see what this team can do next year and beyond.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tons of great Billiken memories, but Columbus is at the top.  I drove there with my father (now passed away) and my ten year old son (now 17 and doesn't hang out with his dad like he used to).  We met up with my cousin who lives in Columbus.  The four of us went to both games.  That's an all time memory for me, not just all time Billiken memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It's been great reading these memories as a newer Billikens fan, as I've been able to go back and learn a lot about SLU basketball history. My list is short and much more recent, but here's a few of mine:

-Watching the tournament teams from 2012-14. I was young and not really following college basketball, much less the Bills, but I remember going to a few games at Chaifetz with my dad and watching Mitchell, Jett, and Loe just to name a few.

-2019 A-10 championship run.

-Dayton home game. Even though it was a hard loss, the atmosphere inside Chaifetz was unmatched. Goodwin's layup to tie it almost blew the roof off of the place. 

-Watching our current team grow together. This year turned out much better than I expected after losing some big parts of our team from the year before, but now I'm so excited to see what this team can do next year and beyond.

 

Awesome. This thread has done exactly what I wanted to accomplish. We are all coming together to reminisce rather than want to kill each other. 

Will have to come up with more topics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more late addition -- 

I had my bachelor party in St Louis in January 2017.  One of my friends in the alumni department arranged for my brother and I to watch one of the closed practices.  We watched the starters that season get absolutely torched by Bess, Henriquez, Graves and 2 walk ons.  Then 17 year old JGood walks in and watches practice and my brother and I talked to his parents for a while.  I told my brother than JGood was "the future" and would be one of the best billikens of all time (basically just listening to all the Billiken Roy hype).  Talked to Ford for a while and all the players came over after and thanked me for coming to practice and supporting the program.  Then each one of them shook our hands (seemed to be protocol for practice visitors).  This is really why I give Ford such a long leash and am probably too easy on him.  He represents the university so well.  We are lucky to have him.

Lastly...It did not shock me at all that Johnson transferred out...He saw Bess and Henriquez coming in poised to take every minute from him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Showing my age with the first one; Listening to Billiken BB on KMOX and beginning to become a fan:  Dick Bouska (Springfield Ill); Grady Smith (Puxico Mo as a Jr with Joe Todd (Morehouse, MO) as a Soph forming an outstanding backcourt; the 3 guards recruited the same year (S Ulrich, R Reinberg and R Albrecht with the first two starting for 3 years together.

Maybe the most important event in Billiken B history, in that it saved the program from near extinction-----watching my TV one night when the lead story was an interview with Monroe and Roland (the McKinley twins) in which they both announced their intent to go to SLU.  That was followed the next year by AB coming onboard.

Spoon leaving SW MO St to become the Billiken HC

The years we had the 2 "L" guys from the eastside  (I'm pretty sure these were Roy's favorite years)

Coach Ford making immediate inroads in recruiting, especially in local recruiting with Goodwin and CAG (eventho the latter didn't turn out so well)

The atmosphere at the 'Fetz during the 2018 Butler and 2020 UD and VCU games.  This proves what's possible during the next few years!

Finally, having Billikens.com to stay informed about Billiken BB in spite of our occasional  disagreements.  (Yes, Roy, it's Jimerson with one "M.")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It's been great reading these memories as a newer Billikens fan, as I've been able to go back and learn a lot about SLU basketball history. My list is short and much more recent, but here's a few of mine:

-Watching the tournament teams from 2012-14. I was young and not really following college basketball, much less the Bills, but I remember going to a few games at Chaifetz with my dad and watching Mitchell, Jett, and Loe just to name a few.

-2019 A-10 championship run.

-Dayton home game. Even though it was a hard loss, the atmosphere inside Chaifetz was unmatched. Goodwin's layup to tie it almost blew the roof off of the place. 

-Watching our current team grow together. This year turned out much better than I expected after losing some big parts of our team from the year before, but now I'm so excited to see what this team can do next year and beyond.

 

I hate to be the self promoting type but we’ve covered a lot of the moments listed here in depth with the guys that lived it.

Cassity, Ellis, Evans, Drejaj, Harris, Conklin.

We should be adding at least 3 new interviews in the next month and hopefully one is another spoonball alum who played with Larry Hughes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

 

The years we had the 2 "L" guys from the eastside  (I'm pretty sure these were Roy's favorite years)

 

actually my favorite team was bonner, gray and douglas.  followed closely by spoonball. 

 i am happy about the current direction.   if you think about it, ford couldnt lose taking the job after the disaster of crewsplatt.   my mother could have did as good as crewsplatt.   thus we are still somewhat drunk over the turnaround.   i am betting if we never get past first round ncaa, eventually ford's extended honeymoon ends.   i say, the chances of finding another ford recruiter is not good and we should be happy with ford till he retires.   hopefully some player developes more than expected and that puts him over the mark at some point.  

of course kevin lisch is my second favorite billiken behind larry hughes.    but lisch doest constitute a whole team so bauman, you are wrong again.  you usually are where i am concerned even though i truly dont understand your obsession with me.  it has to go further than jimmerson.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I hate to be the self promoting type but we’ve covered a lot of the moments listed here in depth with the guys that lived it.

Cassity, Ellis, Evans, Drejaj, Harris, Conklin.

We should be adding at least 3 new interviews in the next month and hopefully one is another spoonball alum who played with Larry Hughes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755

No worries about the self promotion haha. I've seen the podcast mentioned on the board a couple times and with a lack of March Madness I think this is the perfect time for me to look into it. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...