GDT vs Belmont

33 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yuri's complete game wasn't that bad. His defense was very good, he had a few nice assists and 6 boards. Clearly he had too many turnovers and didn't shoot well but his overall game wasn't as bad as it seems. We held them to 55 points and Yuri played a major role in that. His worst game as a Billiken, I'll give you that

Nine turnovers.  Bad game.  He was totally out of control and lackadaisical handling the ball.

But looking for great things from him.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

French is so bad ass he lost his virginity before his father!

55 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

ATTENTION.  ATTENTION.  THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

WE NEED ALL STL COPS AND FIREFIGHTERS DOWN AT CHAIFETZ ARENA RIGHT NOW TO TRY AND GET HASAHN FRENCH'S BALLS BACK INTO HIS SHORTS.

REQUESTING 24 COPS, 21 FIREFIGHTERS, 7 CHEERLEADERS AND 4 LAWYERS.  WE HAVE A SERIOUS BALLS OUT OF SHORTS SITUATION RIGHT NOW.

HASAHN FRENCH.  BALLS PULLED WAY OUT, FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE.

I'm normally loath to contribute to discussions of this nature, but today's French-kiss game was deserving.*

Hasahn is so potent, he invented sexual relations.

Hasahn is so potent, 5 women left the game this afternoon having conceived while watching the performance.  That's the real reason he didn't hit more free throws:  he didn't want to make more women pregnant this game.

*I'll try to limit it to language and descriptions that wouldn't make a church mother blush too much — and be thankful she wasn't at the game today, because Hasahn would have made her like 90-year-old Sarah.

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Nine turnovers.  Bad game.  He was totally out of control and lackadaisical handling the ball.

I agree I did not get that post.  After 8 turnovers then a 10 second call it was a horrible day.  I thought his defense was okay but he hurt the team and he got really lucky the team defense bailed him out on the 10 second call.

I hope coach Ford makes a statement by either starting Thatch or Jimerson, Yuri needs an attention getter.

Yuri is a magician play maker and a good Billiken but his play was inexcusable and could have cost us the game.

I agree, I didn’t think yuri was very good today. His defense was much improved tho. But 9 to’s and that 10 second, no excuse, even for a frosh.

but since he is a frosh, I won’t hold it against him. Man he’s sooooo fast driving the lane 

59 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It was 43.3 when Goodwin gained possession of the rebound and at 33.3 the ball had not crossed the line. 

That could be. I haven’t watched the recording at home.  The official play by play says French committed the foul with 42 seconds left.

Marquis Perry had three or four games. Hughes against SIUC, and UCLA, and Marquette. Justin Love, multiple games. Anthony Bonner vs Loyola, Dayton, Xavier , NM etc. David Burnes, multiple losing games, Kelvin Henderson vs Mizzou. Lewis McKinney, the Johnson twins vs Louisville, Harry Rogers vs WT State. We have always had players who carried the team.

Just now, Sheltiedave said:

Marquis Perry had three or four games. Hughes against SIUC, and UCLA, and Marquette. Justin Love, multiple games. Anthony Bonner vs Loyola, Dayton, Xavier , NM etc. David Burnes, multiple losing games, Kelvin Henderson vs Mizzou. Lewis McKinney, the Johnson twins vs Louisville, Harry Rogers vs WT State. We have always had players who carried the team.

I was going to say SIUC. I didn’t see it but my uncle always talked about it with a myth-like reverence.

24 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

8 turnovers according to the box. I didn't say it was a good game. However, there were some calling it terrible. As if turnovers are the only aspects to one's game. Yep, far too many turnovers, but he did some other things well like I said in my post

Yuri did not have a good game.  Yes he is a freshman so we have to cut him a little slack but he made a bunch of poor decisions.  That 10 seconds call could have cost us the game and there is no excuse for that regardless of being a freshman.  I am sure he will get an earful about it and I am sure he will not make that mistake again.  The problem is that we just do not have that much room for error and careless and casual play with the ball just stick out more.  I know it is asking a lot from him at this stage of his career but he is the one and he just has to mature on the court quickly.  French was the reason we were in that game to be able to win it.  He was shades of Bonner.  FT shooting for the entire team is a mess 40% I think for the game is just going to kill us.  Goodwin had a good game and so did Perkins.  Jimmerson was not able to get open so his shooting was not a factor.  Is Thatch still sick?  I guess Hankton is not ready to go either?

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

8 turnovers according to the box. 

Not that it matters much but if he ends up with 8, it should have been 9. I was talking with the guy next to me with a few minutes left and he was at 8, then he did something that should have counted as a TO. I’m thinking whatever it was must not have counted.

17 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree I did not get that post.  After 8 turnovers then a 10 second call it was a horrible day.  I thought his defense was okay but he hurt the team and he got really lucky the team defense bailed him out on the 10 second call.

I hope coach Ford makes a statement by either starting Thatch or Jimerson, Yuri needs an attention getter.

Yuri is a magician play maker and a good Billiken but his play was inexcusable and could have cost us the game.

You realize that the guy who knows far more than any of us had him in the game during the deciding minutes and played him over 30 for the game. See, he understands that despite having a bad day with the turnovers, his overall game was still good enough to be on the floor at the end 

Sheltiedave likes this

20 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Where does this Has game rank in all time bills performances for you guys? 24 rebounds is no joke

French had the third most rebounds and the second most blocks ever in a game to go along with his 21 points. Oh and he shut down a guy averaging 16 ppg on 60% percent shooting.

At a minimum, that has to be one of the top 5 performances I have ever seen by a Billiken in person.

HenryB likes this

30 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Of Note:

Yuri/French/Goodwin/Jimerson are clearly our big 4 when it comes to minutes. All played over 30 and no one else was above 16.

I also didn’t see much Thatch in the second half.  Weaver seemed to get a lot of time and i think it helps give our offense a lot of space for French to work.

Weaver knows how to stay in a game once he gets in.  Take two dribbles, hand off to Yuri or Goodwin, cut to a spot and wait for a catch and shoot opportunity.  Coach has a quick trigger on everyone other than French, Goodwin or Yuri when it comes to turnovers so playing it safe guarantees he will rarely commit a turnover or take a bad shot.

Eventually Thatch will adjust to the fact that he has to play conservative basketball to stay on the floor.  Only the top 3 offensive options have the luxury of making mistakes.  And Thatch is not the third option, Yuri is.  Or Jimerson, when his shot is falling.

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You realize that the guy who knows far more than any of us had him in the game during the deciding minutes and played him over 30 for the game. See, he understands that despite having a bad day with the turnovers, his overall game was still good enough to be on the floor at the end 

I mean, you can have a bad game, and still stay in. 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Weaver knows how to stay in a game once he gets in.  Take two dribbles, hand off to Yuri or Goodwin, cut to a spot and wait for a catch and shoot opportunity.  Coach has a quick trigger on everyone other than French, Goodwin or Yuri when it comes to turnovers so playing it safe guarantees he will rarely commit a turnover or take a bad shot.

He also plays good on ball defense with active hands 

thicks/skip:  great game from French no doubt.  Might be the best I've ever seen by a Billiken big man.  That was a game for the ages.  i am not trying to detract from the exhibition.  My comment was directed at "all around game."  There is a huge gaping hole in Hasahn's repertoire and that is that stripe 15 feet from the basket.  My gawd ..... if he were even 60% or 67% from the line, it would truly be A10 POY hands down.  Some even suggested Belmont foul him right away.  Goodwin seems better but not by much right now.  It's still a huge Achilles heel.  We will lose three or five we shouldn't when things get tough down the stretch.  Remember Davidson last year?

Tonight was great but trending for the future is questionable.  All warts get overlooked in a win, amplified in a loss.  I'll sleep well tonight but I still don't like what I see.  Anybody else close their eyes when we stand at the line?  French and Goodwin took 20 of our 22 free throws.  And that should be expected going forward.  41% from the line is not winning basketball.  Yes, 60 or 67% tonight adds 3 or 4 more points which are immaterial but I'm looking at one shot to tie,two to win and that still scares the hell out  of me.  Our slash was 36/21/41.  I'll take the W and watch our first true road game Wednesday.