2019-20 Season

3 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t believe he joined the team until fairly late in the summer. Not sure he was prepared for the start of the season. Took him some time to gain Ford’s confidence. Can he play in the NBA . Maybe. He’s pretty small for his position but obviously can score the ball. While this will piss off Billiken Roy I think his chances are much greater than Goodwin, and I love Goodwin. 

Didnt he have to finish a class this summer keeping him from the team?  We ever find out?  

But his defense too was awful and he did not move well either. Maybe the speed of the game caused him to mentally freeeze?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Didnt he have to finish a class this summer keeping him from the team?  We ever find out?  

But his defense too was awful and he did not move well either. Maybe the speed of the game caused him to mentally freeeze?

I was under the impression that he has school work to finish. 

3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

If you are taking only about four year players, your point is solid.  If one year players are allowed into the dialogue, there is a guy who played a year or two after Clagget who might have dibs on best offensive (and defensive) Billiken ever....

I agree. He was the best. But with only one year he slipped my mind. So Perkins is our second best offensive player since Clagget.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:19 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Athletes play with incurable diseases all the time.  Take for example, Crohn's disease:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/crohns-disease/living-with/celebrity-athletes-with-crohns-disease/

While this is true,  this is not an Apple to Apple comparison.  FT’s illness involves his muscles.  They may well be able to control the illness, and he will be able to exercise,  the question is will he be able to train and play at the high levels that D-1 sport requires.  

Patients with Crohn’s disease today, can be treated with medications that allow Complete  healing of the diseased areas in the Intestines. While the are not cured and continue to require treatment, once in “remission” they can exercise  just like anyone else.  Fitness determined by how hard they train,  the concern with FT is his ability to achieve fitness may be hindered by his disease process.

GBL_Bills and billikenbill like this

13 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

If you are taking only about four year players, your point is solid.  If one year players are allowed into the dialogue, there is a guy who played a year or two after Clagget who might have dibs on best offensive (and defensive) Billiken ever....

It is way to early to start talking about Perkins in terms of best offensive player since X.  I was specifically talking about his ability to score at all 3 levels (at the rim, mid-range, 3 pointers).  We’ve had players who are tremendously talented at scoring, but they usually aren’t as good at one of those levels.  Ex: Claggs & Highmark were heavy on 3 point shooting, Bonner scored in the post, Larry & Jett didn’t shoot the 3 well, etc.  Perkins has shown the potential to be very good/great at all three.  Def not the best ever at any of them, but more balanced.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

It is way to early to start talking about Perkins in terms of best offensive player since X.  I was specifically talking about his ability to score at all 3 levels (at the rim, mid-range, 3 pointers).  We’ve had players who are tremendously talented at scoring, but they usually aren’t as good at one of those levels.  Ex: Claggs & Highmark were heavy on 3 point shooting, Bonner scored in the post, Larry & Jett didn’t shoot the 3 well, etc.  Perkins has shown the potential to be very good/great at all three.  Def not the best ever at any of them, but more balanced.

Who would you say is better at the midrange than Javonte?

Also, I think Tommie Liddell deserves credit as a guy who could score at all 3 levels.

10 hours ago, NH said:

Who would you say is better at the midrange than Javonte?

Also, I think Tommie Liddell deserves credit as a guy who could score at all 3 levels.

Junior and senior year Dwayne Evans had a great mid-range game.  Probably others but I can’t think of many that would top Perkins.

I was thinking about Tommie as another 3 level guy.  I don’t recall him being quite as assertive on offense as Perkins has been.

I think we are a better team than we were one year ago, which is remarkable given all of the new players and loss of Thatch and Jimerson for the season.  However it appears our only shot at the big dance is winning our conference tournament.  That was easier last year in a weaker A10 and we didn't have to face the top seed.  Regardless it takes a certain amount of luck to go on that kind of streak.  Getting to the 4th spot would help, but that won't be easy either. 

I actually like our chances of knocking off Dayton, as we have taken them to overtime and played them close at Dayton.  There will be a lot of Dayton fans at the conference tournament.  This is a special year for Dayton and thier fans know it.   They are in the running for a 1 seed, so they are unlikely to have a let down.

Its gut check time.  Time to see if we are good enough and lucky enough to start racking up a series of wins.  One game at a time and next up... St. Joes and we need to run them off the floor and keep that Pillsbury Dough Boy (Ryan Daly) from killing us again. 

21 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I've been impressed with Jimerson's ability to hit mid range and his cuts to the basket. 

Yes. Underrated aspect of his game. Overplay him at the perimeter and he can punish you with a dribble or two in either direction and a stop and pop.

It's funny, as the mid-range jumper is dying, we have two incredibly effective mid-range scorers in Jimerson and Perkins. Looking forward to having both around for a full season next year.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, RUBillsFan said:

This is why he compares favorably to Harry Rogers of the early 70s. Harry had an outside and inside game. He was 6'7" and lanky like Perkins. They also both look effortless in putting the ball in the hoop. 

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This is why he compares favorably to Harry Rogers of the early 70s. Harry had an outside and inside game. He was 6'7" and lanky like Perkins. They also both look effortless in putting the ball in the hoop. 

Yeah but Rogers could not hit a three in college!😀

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If that line had been there in the 70s and FR were allowed to play all 4 years, Harry would have been SLU's all time leading scorer. 

This Harry Rodgers talk brings up a sore point with me. If I remember he was not named to our all-century team. That's  like Larry Bird not making an all time Celtics team. 

MusicCityBilliken and AGB91 like this

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Jordair was actually really good at 15-18 feet.

evans too.

I wouldn't describe Jordair Jett as a really good shooter from 15-18'.  He was a 62% free throw shooter in his best season and a 33%, 3 point shooter, those are below average numbers. His strength was driving to the basket and finishing, in his jr and sr yrs.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yes. Underrated aspect of his game. Overplay him at the perimeter and he can punish you with a dribble or two in either direction and a stop and pop.

It's funny, as the mid-range jumper is dying, we have two incredibly effective mid-range scorers in Jimerson and Perkins. Looking forward to having both around for a full season next year.

Perkins has been on fire from three as well.  Since the first Dayton Game he is 20/37 for 54% from three.  Prior to that he was hitting at a 22% clip.  I am hoping this is a sign of becoming acclimated to the speed of play as well as understanding the offense.    Jacobs is almost at 40%, so next year we will have three players to cover at the three point line opening things up in the lane.  Give Yuri a summer to work on his 3 point shot along with his developing mid range game and we have some shooters...

Zink likes this

22 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I wouldn't describe Jordair Jett as a really good shooter from 15-18'.  He was a 62% free throw shooter in his best season and a 33%, 3 point shooter, those are below average numbers. His strength was driving to the basket and finishing, in his jr and sr yrs.

Literally neither of the stats you cited are mid range shots

Edit - as a junior (the same season you referenced, which was not his "best season" of POY as a senior), he shot 40.9% from mid range - http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2013&p=Jordair Jett&t=Saint Louis

15 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

billiken fans tend to remember the last year.   loe, conklin, love, maurice jeffers come to mind

What do we honestly think Perkins shoots from mid-range? He's shooting 47% from 2 on the season and 50% in conference play. So probably slightly worse than that after taking away dunks/layups? Either way shooting in the 45% range from mid-range is not effective, efficient or desirable.

I understand you need to take some given the flow of a game and it helps open up other things, but there's a reason mid-range isn't present in the games of really good teams.

EDIT: That being said, Perkins jumpers from the FT line are probably a good shot for this team, he's probably somewhere just north of 50% on those and I'll take that.

Hey littlebill --- I used the link you provided and can't seem to find the 40.9% figure anywhere in that chart.  From whence did it originate?  Where can I find it?

Nevermind ---- found it.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

If that line had been there in the 70s and FR were allowed to play all 4 years, Harry would have been SLU's all time leading scorer. 

Were you the game Friday?  When announcing Harry Rogers, Bill McDermott remarked "He's the only one out here who hasn't gained any weight."  He is still rail thin.