Hochman: SLU's Goodwin praised by Claggett and Hughes

Didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-slu-s-goodwin-praised-by-claggett-and-hughes/article_471f8367-2cdc-586e-9427-e195643dbf02.html

My favorite part of the article? The entire paragraph in the middle of the article talking about Mizzou :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Did Hochman need to bring up  Missouri in the article? NO. But he does seem to be taking a real interest in our program. Don't ***** too much. 

b.s.   he made dam sure that we are more or less lucky to be mentioned with the greatness of mi$$ouri existing.  i say either write a billiken article or write another dam tiger article.  but out of respect, he shouldnt mix the two.   this came off patronizing imo.   it really pizzed me off.  

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Did Hochman need to bring up  Missouri in the article? NO. But he does seem to be taking a real interest in our program. Don't ***** too much. 

Yea I disagree.  I posted that in the other thread, if you are going to write an article on Goodwin, write it on Goodwin.  He could've just said, "he may be one of the best players in the state" without qualifiers and people can debate Goodwin vs Tilmon if they want.  Then the stretch to "oh speaking of Mizzou and Whitfield" to tie in Blackwell.  Looking at the sports section right now, there are 3 different articles about Blackwell going to Mizzou, did he really have to find that random way to insert her into an article about Goodwin?  

I'm all for taking an interest in the local teams but you don't need to tie it back to his favorite school all the time. It would've been a great article without those random Mizzou quips.  

majerus mojo likes this

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Hochman is a columnist . He is not a Billiken basketball writer. As I said I don't think it was necessary but I don't believe it's the sin that you and Roy do. 

and a damn sucky columnist imo.   hope he gets shipped to the west coast to write for a paper in fresno or something akin.   we dont need him here.   

no one is asking him to be a billiken writer.   just stay on frickin topic.   is that so hard?  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and a damn sucky columnist imo.   hope he gets shipped to the west coast to write for a paper in fresno or something akin.   we dont need him here.   

no one is asking him to be a billiken writer.   just stay on frickin topic.   is that so hard?  

Man do you need to lighten up. Everything in your life is either black or white. There is a shade of gray. 

I wouldn't say sin or something along those lines, just in my opinion, it made for a poor article.  He had a great idea for a column, talk to two local SLU legends about another potential one but then he adds like a stream of thought that is just Mizzou things that were on his mind.  Another article about Goodwin starting a trend of kids staying close to home and if he wants to include the Mizzou players, fine go ahead.  You would have to include Thatch too because that is about same distance from St. Louis as Columbia.  

Of course with an asterisk, I would argue staying home started with Austin Gillmann.   

28 minutes ago, willie said:

Man do you need to lighten up. Everything in your life is either black or white. There is a shade of gray. 

i question your acceptance of once again patronizing the billikens.    at some point we deserve our day in the sun and this team seems to be a great chance.   

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i question your acceptance of once again patronizing the billikens.    at some point we deserve our day in the sun and this team seems to be a great chance.   

I view this as the glass is half full. Hochman has had several articles on the Bills this month. I don't think Bernie wrote that many about the Bills in 5 years. 

17 minutes ago, willie said:

I view this as the glass is half full. Hochman has had several articles on the Bills this month. I don't think Bernie wrote that many about the Bills in 5 years. 

so you want to compare him to just about the biggest billiken hater / non-believer of all time and are thrilled he gives us a smidgen of press?   i guess i expect a little more respect and credence than you do.  

So the part in question is in bold here:

He’s the top player on the top team in the conference, a St. Louis U. Billiken from the St. Louis area. SLU, if you haven’t heard, was picked to win the Atlantic 10 Conference, and its sophomore from Centreville is the center of attention, even though Goodwin plays in the backcourt. With an asterisk, he’s the best basketball player in the state — Mizzou’s Jontay Porter isn’t playing this season after a bad knee injury.

And Goodwin has exemplified this renaissance of area talent actually staying in the area. Freshman teammate Carte’Are Gordon was also a top-100 player coming out of Webster Groves High School. Over at Mizzou, top-100 center Jeremiah Tilmon might make me eat my words about Goodwin, and the former East St. Louis player is teammates with the talented freshman from Whitfield, Torrence Watson. Oh, speaking of Whitfield stars and Mizzou, Aijha Blackwell announced Monday night that she’ll play for the Tigers next season — according to espnW, she’s the No. 8 high school senior in the nation.

The first time I read it, I'll also admit to being like, "WTF, why is he talking about Mizzou here?" But after reading again, he is tying a trend together, that more STL-area players are staying in state to go to SLU and Mizzou, and he does talk about Gordon before Tilmon, Watson, and Blackwell. And while I think he'd be better served talking about the HS seniors about to go to SLU - Collins and Hargrove - I still get that this point is probably geared toward your more general STL sports fan and not just us hardcore SLU fans. It's probably interesting to them that all these local kids are suddenly staying home to go to these two programs. I'd have to read through a lot of Mizzou articles to see whether he's doing the same thing when talking about Watson or Tilmon - I can't imagine him being mid-piece on one or both of those guys and including the same paragraph, but in reverse - but I don't feel like doing that research.

Anyway, we've been screaming for years that we don't get enough coverage and we've gotten a bunch lately. It's not perfect but it's progress. Because we all know deep down this is based on clicks for them and Mizzou gets a lot more than we do. Numbers are numbers. Don't take it all too personally. Start winning and we'll see more.

8 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I like Hochman.

I’ve always liked his content.

I don’t like is his constant 90’s pop culture references in an attempt to be funny.

I think he has gotten better with that though. At first, his articles were nothing but Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Full House gags but it seems he has gotten away from that.

I’m still not completely sold on him as a writer but he puts in the effort and seems to be improving.

as for this article, I wasn’t thrilled about the Mizzou references but I won’t let it get my panties in a bunch. Overall it was a good piece.