2018-19 season

On 8/29/2018 at 6:11 PM, Old guy said:

We have all seen the way VCU used to play under Shaka. VCU fouled constantly and the refs would not call the fouls because they probably would have wound up fouling the whole team out of the game if they had. We have also seen the refs making sure the number of fouls called per team remains more or less equal. Expediency and looking fair wins over being fair, at least at times it does. Not calling fouls is easier and less controversial for the refs than fouling out a whole team from a game. After all, the refs fouling out a whole team before the game is over would probably never officiate another game ever again. Where is the gain for the refs for doing that? 

So, it is possible, just possible mind you, that if we play really physically the refs might only call some of the most egregious fouls we make and keep the number of fouls on both teams more or less equal, as they are known to do. Business as usual with no controversial moves appears to be the key operational imperative for the officiating refs. After all, the refs know that for any one ref officiating an A10 game (and other conferences as well), there are many qualified lower level refs waiting to move up and get to officiate in games like these. In Haiti, the refs in waiting probably stick pins into little dolls with the current refs hair on them, trying to speed up the turnover of old refs.

I know this is probably a stupid idea but who knows, we live in a stupid world where expediency and self gain, including maintenance of the status quo, is worth a lot more than fairness, at least to certain people, possibly including the refs. At least this is what I have seen the refs doing in many games where one team was overpowering the other. It might be worthwhile to try a very physical playing stance this year since we have the physical assets this year to play a really physical game, as we all know. Maybe Ford is thinking along these lines. This is just frank speculation, we will find out when the season starts. 

However I would really love to see our guys penetrating the opponent's defenses like a platoon of main battle tanks attacking an enemy position. I really would just love to see the Bills in the role of aggressors, rather than in the role of the weaker team trying as hard as they can to plug gaps. Take this as a prayer, please Lord. 

Amen

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

I was trolling all the posts by sdsdh which is posting the exact same garbage in as many threads as he can, even if I cannot give him his well deserved he is still  using this board to sell his junk and should be considered a troll and banned from it.

Little late, but are these the least Old guy Old guy posts ever? Getting tired Old guy?? Also, is Old guy Metz?? 

p.s. great 05/Taj spat (def keep the reactions)

billikenfan05 likes this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bills_06 said:

Really like the increase in videos of the team.  Now if only I could find somebody in the ticket office who would want to help me actually pay more for better seats that would be great.  

Been waiting on someone from the ticket office to contact me about upgrades for weeks. 

13 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Really like the increase in videos of the team.  Now if only I could find somebody in the ticket office who would want to help me actually pay more for better seats that would be great.  

Edit:  Was KC Hankton not at Billiken night at Busch?  

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Been waiting on someone from the ticket office to contact me about upgrades for weeks. 

Keep calling. 

The issue probably is that they are contacting those who held season tix last year to make sure that they did not just forget to send it in or think they did and did not.  I had a friend who was a long time season tix holder (15 years at least) - he had decided not to renew but when they called him he said that he would change his mind if he could keep his seats.  They agreed - apparently a long standing practice.  My point is they do not want to give anybody seats away who may renew with a little personal attention.  Even if they called you back they probably can not commit to anything until they have touched all the bases.  Just be patient and keep calling - I would think they are close to finishing this process.  Additionally, they have to follow the rankings as they try to honor requests to upgrade or change seats.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The issue probably is that they are contacting those who held season tix last year to make sure that they did not just forget to send it in or think they did and did not.  I had a friend who was a long time season tix holder (15 years at least) - he had decided not to renew but when they called him he said that he would change his mind if he could keep his seats.  They agreed - apparently a long standing practice.  My point is they do not want to give anybody seats away who may renew with a little personal attention.  Even if they called you back they probably can not commit to anything until they have touched all the bases.  Just be patient and keep calling - I would think they are close to finishing this process.  Additionally, they have to follow the rankings as they try to honor requests to upgrade or change seats.

I probably wouldn't be as annoyed except I put down last year I was interested in upgrading, they called and I was busy but took down some information on available seats.  Was never able to get back in touch with them, even went down to the arena and still had poor service.  Compare that to the Blues where I canceled my season tickets probably 5 years ago and still get calls every year before season and even during season.  

The blues are a commercial enterprise whose function is to make money by providing entertainment to a lot of people. Selling tickets to people who have shown interest in the  sport is not something they are about to neglect. SLU marketing or whoever takes care of selling season tickets is not a commercial enterprise and is not primarily in the money making business. The management of the ticket sales apparently leaves a lot to be desired.

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

The blues are a commercial enterprise whose function is to make money by providing entertainment to a lot of people. Selling tickets to people who have shown interest in the  sport is not something they are about to neglect. SLU marketing or whoever takes care of selling season tickets is not a commercial enterprise and is not primarily in the money making business. The management of the ticket sales apparently leaves a lot to be desired.

this belief is just wrong.   the slu marketing and ticket sales dept most certainly is in the money making business.   they obviously arent good at it as our wonder BoT doesnt give them the tools and personel to succeed but they are the only instrument we have to support the athletic department.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

this belief is just wrong.   the slu marketing and ticket sales dept most certainly is in the money making business.   they obviously arent good at it as our wonder BoT doesnt give them the tools and personel to succeed but they are the only instrument we have to support the athletic department.  

Troll guy is just forcing his act at this point 

thetorch and brianstl like this

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

-if SLU marketing isn't there to sell tickets, sponsorships, partnerships, heighten awareness with the goal of making money for the ADept, what is their function? perhaps this is part of the problem

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

You seriously don't think SLU is as interested in filling as many seats as they can and making as much money as they can on ticket sales, parking, concessions, and merchandise? Also, investing the money in coaches, facilities, etc to put a great product on the floor that hopefully will bring in the big bucks of post season play? Then there's the increased interest a winner generates which normally results in increased donations? C'mon, man, it's all about the money. It's a commercial operation.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

What really sticks out to me is how much he seems to be enjoying everything. The kid looks happy and motivated.  I almost feel bad for the rest of the A-10.

that's been a jordan goodwin M.O. his entire life.  

55 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Except for a good chunk of last year.......

i disagree.   goodwin was always playing hard and having fun when on the floor.   he wears emotion on his sleeve and doesnt get cheated out of his effort one bit.   he loves playing basketball and it shows.  even last year when he was tremendously wronged off the court.  

TheChosenOne likes this

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

1 - ESPNU

2- ESPN2

8- CBSSN

2- NBCSN

5- TBA

Brian Kunderman tweeted that Oregon State game will be on ESPN U too.  That makes 14 national televised games so far.  Disappointing that whenever you talk to a fan of a team in a P5 conference, they say kids shouldn't go to SLU because of lack of "exposure".  Really wish that dumb argument would just go away.