Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

summer of 19 my son took his grandson to a one day camp that jayson was at in st louis.   jayson spent a LOT of time interacting with all the kids and in particular walked around talking to my grandson and being extremely personal and fun for my grandson.   jayson tatum is a good guy.   talbert is way off base.   tatum is the exception to most of the nba imo.  

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

summer of 19 my son took his grandson to a one day camp that jayson was at in st louis.   jayson spent a LOT of time interacting with all the kids and in particular walked around talking to my grandson and being extremely personal and fun for my grandson.   jayson tatum is a good guy.   talbert is way off base.   tatum is the exception to most of the nba imo.  

Apparently I need to have a talk with my son.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

50 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I’d be willing to bet the majority of the NBA does the same thing. The A-Holes make the headlines not the good guys 

I bet the NBA has a lot more good guys than you think.

Littlebill and SLU_Lax like this

12 hours ago, TaLBErt said:

As I watch the Easter Conference Finals, I'm really starting to dislike Jayson Tatum. Between spurning the Billikens, the constant whining, and the fact that he's the the new ESPN golden boy without accomplishing anything, I really hope he and the Celtics get swept by the Heat in the most heartbreaking way possible.

That's all. Go Billikens!

Scorching hot take! I am a huge Tatum fan, but you missed the one thing I would have been onboard with, a terrible beard.

willie likes this

2 hours ago, slusam said:

A guy that works for me knows a couple of NBA players and he said Tatum is known as a real stand up guy. Good teammate. Good with his family and good in the community. 

Must have gone to a good high school. Bradley Beal to me is about as good as it gets when it comes to a NBA player who seems like a genuinely good dude (I do struggle with Tatum in the sense that I think some of it is manufactured, but I suppose who cares if it is doing good things).

15 hours ago, TaLBErt said:

As I watch the Easter Conference Finals, I'm really starting to dislike Jayson Tatum. Between spurning the Billikens, the constant whining, and the fact that he's the the new ESPN golden boy without accomplishing anything, I really hope he and the Celtics get swept by the Heat in the most heartbreaking way possible.

That's all. Go Billikens!

14 hours ago, TaLBErt said:

Ehh. To me, he seems like the type of guy that goes out of his way to make himself appear like a stand up guy. Plays ball like an entitled brat.

Ahem. 

He's 22 and just made the All-NBA 3rd team. He's dropping postseason stat lines that few have done before. The second post here is even more ridiculous/off-base and requires no rebuttal. Just a big whiff. 

-- Jayson Tatum, Tim Duncan, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are the only players in NBA history to put up 29p/12r/5a in three consecutive playoff games.

-- Youngest players to average 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists per game in a single postseason (by age on date of first game):
1. Jayson Tatum (22.167)
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (22.343)
3. Charles Barkley (23.057)

-- Jayson Tatum is the youngest player ever to record 28 points and 12 rebounds in a Game 7 (22.192). The second-youngest was Tom Heinsohn in 1957 (22.230).

During the regular season, he led the league in unassisted 3-Point % (min. 100 shots): 

1. Jayson Tatum ... 41.1 3P%
2. Paul George ..... 40.6
3. Dame Lillard ..... 40.2
4. Zach LaVine ..... 39.9
5. Chris Paul ......... 38.7

The previous season, 2018-19, Steph Curry led the league at 40.9%. 

Again, he's 22. 

Zink likes this

12 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Ahem. 

He's 22 and just made the All-NBA 3rd team. He's dropping postseason stat lines that few have done before. The second post here is even more ridiculous/off-base and requires no rebuttal. Just a big whiff. 

-- Jayson Tatum, Tim Duncan, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are the only players in NBA history to put up 29p/12r/5a in three consecutive playoff games.

-- Youngest players to average 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists per game in a single postseason (by age on date of first game):
1. Jayson Tatum (22.167)
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (22.343)
3. Charles Barkley (23.057)

-- Jayson Tatum is the youngest player ever to record 28 points and 12 rebounds in a Game 7 (22.192). The second-youngest was Tom Heinsohn in 1957 (22.230).

During the regular season, he led the league in unassisted 3-Point % (min. 100 shots): 

1. Jayson Tatum ... 41.1 3P%
2. Paul George ..... 40.6
3. Dame Lillard ..... 40.2
4. Zach LaVine ..... 39.9
5. Chris Paul ......... 38.7

The previous season, 2018-19, Steph Curry led the league at 40.9%. 

Again, he's 22. 

Those are a lot of cherry picked empty stats from ESPN that further prove my point that he's an unjustified media darling. The youngest player to record 28 points and 12 rebounds in a Game 7? What an important and informative factoid.

A casual observer can see Jayson desperately wants to be a superstar. Jayson kills the Celtics offense because he doesn't want to give up the ball. He wants to fill the box score and be the hero more than he actually wants to win. He should have passed the ball at the end of regulation in Game 1 to the open man. You can see Brad Stevens screaming at him to push the ball in transition but he refuses to allow an easy bucket go to someone else. 

I also want to point out that they are playing in a bubble... Without any fans. Everything in this postseason is an anomaly.

Finally, I'm not perfect, I've played my fair share of games in relationships, but no one would ever mistake me for a "family man." When you play two women (one being your baby mama), dump one to be with your baby mama (sort of commendable), then dump your baby mama for an R&B singer, I find all the articles declaring you a family man to be largely manufactured to help your image.

I don't like the guy, I was wondering how STL Billiken fans viewed him. Now I know.

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tatum is the truth.  He will be a top 3 player by the time he's 25.  Wish he would have come here but having  that high profile a player rep his city is only a good thing for the Billikens.

It's a good thing for the Billikens? Why the hell do we let this punk into our gym?

HE DIDN'T PLAY FOR US!

That's like letting the girl who dumped you for another guy come over once a month for a massage.

I've never seen him wearing SLU gear in a post game interview. I do see a lot of Duke stuff though.

7 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

It's a good thing for the Billikens? Why the hell do we let this punk into our gym?

HE DIDN'T PLAY FOR US!

That's like letting the girl who dumped you for another guy come over once a month for a massage.

I've never seen him wearing SLU gear in a post game interview. I do see a lot of Duke stuff though.

Because his Dad played at SLU. Because his godfather is Larry Legend. Because potential 2022 SLU recruit Larry Hughes Jr is close with him. Because every big name recruit from STL looks up to him. This really isn’t that hard to understand.

10 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Because his Dad played at SLU. Because his godfather is Larry Legend. Because potential 2022 SLU recruit Larry Hughes Jr is close with him. Because every big name recruit from STL looks up to him. This really isn’t that hard to understand.

What?!

I get it, he's from St. Louis. As a native St. Louisan, you probably get some good feelings seeing one of your own making it it big. However, St. Louis and Saint Louis University are two very separate things. He reps St. Louis not SLU. Do you really think Jayson Tatum is telling Larry Hughes Jr. to play for SLU? LeBron James reps Akron, OH an awful lot. Have the Zips landed any high profile recruits because of it?

Tatum doesn't give a about the Billikens. If he did, there would be a Billiken on his hat. He loves the city he's from, but if given the opportunity to funnel a player to Duke or SLU I feel confident he's going to help out his alma mater, not SLU.

3 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

What?!

I get it, he's from St. Louis. As a native St. Louisan, you probably get some good feelings seeing one of your own making it it big. However, St. Louis and Saint Louis University are two very separate things. He reps St. Louis not SLU. Do you really think Jayson Tatum is telling Larry Hughes Jr. to play for SLU? LeBron James reps Akron, OH an awful lot. Have the Zips landed any high profile recruits because of it?

Tatum doesn't give a about the Billikens. If he did, there would be a Billiken on his hat. He loves the city he's from, but if given the opportunity to funnel a player to Duke or SLU I feel confident he's going to help out his alma mater, not SLU.

That’s not the point. What do you think forbidding Jayson Tatum from our gym is going to do to Larry Junior’s recruitment? What’s it going to do to Larry Senior’s relationship with the university? Asking someone who absolutely IS a great high-profile representative for the program to choose between his alma mater and his godson isn’t exactly a recipe for success. Do we really want to develop a reputation for forbidding local NBA players from our program with the types of recruits we’re hoping to get to commit to SLU? Not to mention, Coach Ford had absolutely nothing to do with Tatum’s recruit. Or should we just stay away from anybody @TaLBErt doesn’t personally like? 🤦🏻

19 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

What?!

C60B8AFF-DC4D-402E-80A4-71C2FB1BF96C.thumb.jpeg.cbb3d0e7fac8a0c7827fab081ca9ff42.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

That’s not the point. What do you think forbidding Jayson Tatum from our gym is going to do to Larry Junior’s recruitment? What’s it going to do to Larry Senior’s relationship with the university? Asking someone who absolutely IS a great high-profile representative for the program to choose between his alma mater and his godson isn’t exactly a recipe for success. Do we really want to develop a reputation for forbidding local NBA players from our program with the types of recruits we’re hoping to get to commit to SLU? Not to mention, Coach Ford had absolutely nothing to do with Tatum’s recruit. Or should we just stay away from anybody @TaLBErt doesn’t personally like? 🤦🏻

Once again, he's 120% NOT a representative of Saint Louis University or the basketball program. You can say he is all you want, but show me how he has been a representative of Saint Louis University.

Just now, TaLBErt said:

Once again, he's 120% NOT a representative of Saint Louis University or the basketball program. You can say he is all you want, but show me how he has been a representative of Saint Louis University.

I was talking about Larry Senior. If you actually read my post, you would understand that. Wow. Just wow.

Just now, TaLBErt said:

Alright, fair enough.

I would like to know when this was taken. After SLU won the A10 tournament?

I’ve seen him post and/or retweet Billikens stuff a lot, as I said last night. Just because he didn’t go to SLU (when Crews was the one recruiting him, and we all know how well that usually went), doesn’t mean he doesn’t support the program.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

I’ve seen him post and/or retweet Billikens stuff a lot, as I said last night. Just because he didn’t go to SLU (when Crews was the one recruiting him, and we all know how well that usually went), doesn’t mean he doesn’t support the program.

He cheers for the program from afar in a token way the same way LeBron supports Ohio state. He's not a Billiken.

Just now, TaLBErt said:

He cheers for the program from afar in a token way the same way LeBron supports Ohio state. He's not a Billiken.

He’s a professional athlete. What do you want him to do? Buy season tickets and be there cheering at every game, Celtics games be damned? Blocked!