Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum

32 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

What?!

I get it, he's from St. Louis. As a native St. Louisan, you probably get some good feelings seeing one of your own making it it big. However, St. Louis and Saint Louis University are two very separate things. He reps St. Louis not SLU. Do you really think Jayson Tatum is telling Larry Hughes Jr. to play for SLU? LeBron James reps Akron, OH an awful lot. Have the Zips landed any high profile recruits because of it?

Tatum doesn't give a about the Billikens. If he did, there would be a Billiken on his hat. He loves the city he's from, but if given the opportunity to funnel a player to Duke or SLU I feel confident he's going to help out his alma mater, not SLU

Let's ask Tatum, Jayson how do you feel about SLU?

What about people saying you don't rep the Billikens, ever wear their gear?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

How so?

First of all, when i @‘d you another Talbert happened to pop up. So there’s been AT LEAST 2 of you. You come in here talking ish about Jayson Tatum for really no reason. All signs point to TROLL!

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

He’s a professional athlete. What do you want him to do? Buy season tickets and be there cheering at every game, Celtics games be damned? Blocked!

All I'm saying is I don't feel for him the way Marquette feels for Dwyane wade, Jimmy Butter, Jae Crowder, or Wesley Matthews; the way Murray State alum feel for Ja Morant; or the way Memphis fans feel for Derrick Rose. I don't understand SLU fans that do. He didn't pick us. I don't really blame him, but also he would have been a first round pick no matter where he went. He didn't love the hometown team THAT much.

I don't expect him to DO anything. I just don't understand the unconditional love for a guy who has shown so many public personality flaws.

Does "Blocked!" mean you blocked me? If so, that's very feeble of you @Reinert310.

1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

All I'm saying is I don't feel for him the way Marquette feels for Dwyane wade, Jimmy Butter, Jae Crowder, or Wesley Matthews; the way Murray State alum feel for Ja Morant; or the way Memphis fans feel for Derrick Rose. I don't understand SLU fans that do. He didn't pick us. I don't really blame him, but also he would have been a first round pick no matter where he went. He didn't love the hometown team THAT much.

I don't expect him to DO anything. I just don't understand the unconditional love for a guy who has shown so many public personality flaws.

Does "Blocked!" mean you blocked me? If so, that's very feeble of you @Reinert310.

Our coach was Jim Crews. What's he supposed to do, play pick and roll with Marcus Bartley? Marquette was in a much different place in terms of coaching and talent. And Ja Morant was not a consensus top 5 HS player. JT is a local guy and the success of our program is connected to making SLU the place to go for local recruits. He's also said that if the NBA ever comes to St. Louis, he'd want to play on that team. JT coming to SLU practices helps. His dad went here, his mom went here, and his godfather is a great coach. If he were five years younger, Coach Ford would have at least made it hard for him to go elsewhere. If we retire his jersey, you'll have a point. Until then, you make no sense. 

15 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

First of all, when i @‘d you another Talbert happened to pop up. So there’s been AT LEAST 2 of you. You come in here talking ish about Jayson Tatum for really no reason. All signs point to TROLL!

Oh.

I don't know, I was watching the ECF and the way he plays ball bugs me. I've followed him for a long time because of our recruitment of him. I wanted to talk about him so I came here and shot something out into the internet. I could have went to reddit or an NBA board but I wanted to see what fellow Billikens thought.

2 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Our coach was Jim Crews. What's he supposed to do, play pick and roll with Marcus Bartley? Marquette was in a much different place in terms of coaching and talent. And Ja Morant was not a consensus top 5 HS player. JT is a local guy and the success of our program is connected to making SLU the place to go for local recruits. He's also said that if the NBA ever comes to St. Louis, he'd want to play on that team. JT coming to SLU practices helps. His dad went here, his mom went here, and his godfather is a great coach. If he were five years younger, Coach Ford would have at least made it hard for him to go elsewhere. If we retire his jersey, you'll have a point. Until then, you make no sense. 

It makes no sense to not feel any connection to a kid who danced around playing ball for my alma mater, but chose another school? Is that really that crazy? You should see how Badger fans feel about Tyler Herro.

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

Of all the recruits we have finished second in the pursuit of their commitment he is by far the closest to the Bills community. Only the Robertson we did not get comes close.

Right. I think that's what bugs me the most. He was close to the community and said "see ya" but I still love you. Actions speak louder than words. It's just fundamental mindset differences I guess.

7 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

It makes no sense to not feel any connection to a kid who danced around playing ball for my alma mater, but chose another school? Is that really that crazy? You should see how Badger fans feel about Tyler Herro.

Who the bleep would have gone and joined the clusterbomb that was the Jim Crews era Billikens? We gave him no freaking choice!  We get it you're butt hurt about it, but you're way off base here.  Some times in life timing is everything- I would have loved to have seen JGood , Has, and Jayson Tatum on the same floor at Chaifetz, but it just wasn't meant to be..

12 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

A lot of people have a lot of personality flaws, including myself. Including you. You have ZERO IDEA what really was going on in any of his personal relationships. He’s not a criminal. From what I can tell, he’s not a horrible person. This whole character assassination comes off as way more about how judgmental you are than it does about why any of us shouldn’t be Tatum fans. And the funny thing is, I don’t ever see you posting regularly in any if the other Billikens threads. You only ever seem to turn up when it’s time to talk $h!t. So if blocking you makes me “feeble”, I’m okay with that. 

17 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I would cheer for Jordair Jett, Javon Bess, or even Roby over Tatum if they played each other.  Tatum is a local, St. Louis kid that still cares about SLU and has mentioned even after he left on a podcast with like Bill Simmons that SLU was his second choice a year or so ago. 

And what personality flaws?  He seems like a good dad and I don't hear about him getting in trouble with the law all the time.  He comes back and goes to high school games to show support.  He seems like a good guy.

If it was Ford that he turned down, perhaps I would be more upset with him but the fact is him not picking SLU meant that Crews was gone after that year.  He picks SLU, we have one good year with Tatum and then are left with Crews for what, another year or 2?  It worked out better for us that he didn't pick SLU because now we have Ford and will have a top 25 team and are in the running for a top 50 local kid.  No chance that would be happening this year if Crews stuck around another year or two.  

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

A lot of people have a lot of personality flaws, including myself. Including you. You have ZERO IDEA what really was going on in any of his personal relationships. He’s not a criminal. From what I can tell, he’s not a horrible person. This whole character assassination comes off as way more about how judgmental you are than it does about why any of us shouldn’t be Tatum fans. And the funny thing is, I don’t ever see you posting regularly in any if the other Billikens threads. You only ever seem to turn up when it’s time to talk $h!t. So if blocking you makes me “feeble”, I’m okay with that. 

Quite frankly, I'd love to talk more about how he puts up empty stats and refuses to play team ball.

I've already stated that I'm not perfect and I think I stated public personality flaws. Those are fine too, but I've had enough of ESPN and Doris Burke telling me how perfect he is while all of the clear flaws are public knowledge.

Also, you're right. I don't post often. I see how people with differing opinions are treated on this message board and I've always been weary of being alienated from a board I spend a lot of time on. I went for it last night, and, well the results were predictable. This message board needs to realize that and unpopular hot take does not make someone a troll.

15 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Who the bleep would have gone and joined the clusterbomb that was the Jim Crews era Billikens? We gave him no freaking choice!  We get it you're butt hurt about it, but you're way off base here.  Some times in life timing is everything- I would have loved to have seen JGood , Has, and Jayson Tatum on the same floor at Chaifetz, but it just wasn't meant to be..

Lovely. Of course that stung! A big part of it is I'm not from St. Louis. The only thing that ties me to the city is Saint Louis University.

Um yeah... If I was as talented as Jayson, and I kept telling everyone how much I love SLU and the city, I would have put my money where my mouth was and become a damn legend. 

7 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Quite frankly, I'd love to talk more about how he puts up empty stats and refuses to play team ball.

I've already stated that I'm not perfect and I think I stated public personality flaws. Those are fine too, but I've had enough of ESPN and Doris Burke telling me how perfect he is while all of the clear flaws are public knowledge.

Also, you're right. I don't post often. I see how people with differing opinions are treated on this message board and I've always been weary of being alienated from a board I spend a lot of time on. I went for it last night, and, well the results were predictable. This message board needs to realize that and unpopular hot take does not make someone a troll.

Maybe if you made other contributions to this board besides “unpopular hot takes” you wouldn’t get that reaction. But you do you. 

11 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I agree. I saw nothing wrong with you stating your view, but find it wrong headed. Akin to booing Albert when Angels were in town. Don't let the abuse scare u away we need posters. you did liven up today :)

17 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

you do know that in the playoffs he is less than an assist from leading the celtics in assists in the post season.  amazing for a player that refuses to play team ball.   

if you have followed brad stevens coaching career, you would know tatum wouldnt play for him if he wasnt a team player (see kyrie irving).  

why dont you do yourself a favor and drop this ridiculous discussion.   

i am the biggest if he isnt a billiken im not a fan, but i sure as heck dont endorse the stupid statements you have made about tatum.   heck yeah if i had a choice i would have dinner and get the autograph of javon bess before i would go with tatum, but that doesnt mean tatum is the warlock you have made him out to be. 

almaman likes this

15 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Lovely. Of course that stung! A big part of it is I'm not from St. Louis. The only thing that ties me to the city is Saint Louis University.

Um yeah... If I was as talented as Jayson, and I kept telling everyone how much I love SLU and the city, I would have put my money where my mouth was and become a damn legend. 

See but we now have the benefit of hindsight.  I see it as instead of getting the 1 year of Tatum, we got 4 years of JGood and Has.  As much as I wanted to see Tatum in Billiken Blue, I love that trade. 

Yea a lot of the people that like him are St. Louis people so like kids from the hometown and it is hard to hate him for not picking SLU when it is very easy to make the case that it was the best thing for the basketball program because it got rid of Crews and got us Ford.  

SLU_Lax likes this

42 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I don’t know why I am bothering to respond to this as I said before your original post was pure crap. How can you say he’s not a team player. Good rebounder. Some of the best defensive metrics in the playoffs. Good passer who shares the ball. He’s the go to isolation guy when the clock is running down. Either you know nothing about basketball or just like being a troll. 

majerus mojo and slufanskip like this

53 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

What are these flaws that are clear public knowledge? 

When we lived in South Florida I became a Heat fan, and four of those years were when LBJ played their with two NBA Championships. We've been watching them and excited with their play so far in the playoffs. Loved the block Bam did on Tatum in Game 1.