Jump to content

Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum


Recommended Posts

i believe the best of any era would be amongst the best of any different era.  while certainly the latest bevy of athletes are benefitted of training, diets and coaching the likes of ed mccauley or babe ruth never got in their time, but if they could have gotten in the deloren back in their day and come forward to today, they then would have received the same training and coaching and diets etc to make up the difference and would still be among the best ever.    same with the likes of lebron going back to easy ed's day.    lebron would never have the incredible body he has now if he had lived and played in the 50's.   he would have stood along side mccauley and likely been the same beanpole.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe the best of any era would be amongst the best of any different era.  while certainly the latest bevy of athletes are benefitted of training, diets and coaching the likes of ed mccauley or babe ruth never got in their time, but if they could have gotten in the deloren back in their day and come forward to today, they then would have received the same training and coaching and diets etc to make up the difference and would still be among the best ever.    same with the likes of lebron going back to easy ed's day.    lebron would never have the incredible body he has now if he had lived and played in the 50's.   he would have stood along side mccauley and likely been the same beanpole.  

I tend to agree with you. The best are usually the best because of the wiring in their head (or the drive, the work ethic, whatever you want to call it), not because they are some sort of physical specimens. There are tons of college basketball players that could be a body double for LeBron. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Twenty players have batted .400 and all came 1941 or earlier. I have a feeling hitting is a little more difficult nowadays...

George Brett hit .390 in the modern era.  I will say that pitchers were not the pampered creatures in the past that they are now.  You see 20 game winners with 38 or more starts.  Long relief, middle relief, set up guys, closers, not so much.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

How easily you dismiss Ruth - one of the great athletes of all time even in an era of non- productive off seasons & no personal trainers.  He would have made the HOF as a pitcher.  When asked if he could have hit .400 without swinging for the fences, he replied "no, I would've hit .500!"  Many of the great players had long careers that provide comparability across extended periods.  Look at the stats of the greats who started before and after him but shared several years of comparability and you'll see it.

I think you're missing my point.  We may agree more than you think.  Ruth is one of the all time greats.  He dominated his time.  But, if you took him in his prime and threw him into today's game, he would not succeed.  Back then, he smoked and drank and got fat during his playing days.  He used a bat that modern players would consider a cave man club.  He was able to do this, because he was much stronger than everyone else and was ahead of his time.  If he could be transported back to age 15 and trained like the guys nowadays train, then I'm sure he'd turn himself into a great player.

The point people were making is that Tatum is better than McCauley, because McCauley wouldn't be able to play against modern talent.  That's an unfair assessment.  You can't compare individuals against each other.  You need to compare how a player performed in his own era.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Do tell!

Just along the lines of “his father was a good player in his own right at Saint Louis U., his godfather is Larry Hughes” Might’ve mentioned Dad as being well known in the STL basketball scene, but didn’t go back and check

also forgot to include another highlight!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Just along the lines of “his father was a good player in his own right at Saint Louis U., his godfather is Larry Hughes” Might’ve mentioned Dad as being well known in the STL basketball scene, but didn’t go back and check.

Thanks!  Gotta love a SLU shout-out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

As I watch the Eastern Conference Finals, I'm really starting to dislike Jayson Tatum. Between spurning the Billikens, the constant whining, and the fact that he's the the new ESPN golden boy without accomplishing anything, I really hope he and the Celtics get swept by the Heat in the most heartbreaking way possible.

That's all. Go Billikens!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

As I watch the Easter Conference Finals, I'm really starting to dislike Jayson Tatum. Between spurning the Billikens, the constant whining, and the fact that he's the the new ESPN golden boy without accomplishing anything, I really hope he and the Celtics get swept by the Heat in the most heartbreaking way possible.

That's all. Go Billikens!

Saying this is a bad post is not enough. This post is a bunch of crap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AGB91 said:

Tatum always talks up his hometown and seems to be a good guy.

I’m not of fan of the Celtics but I pull for all of the players from the St. Louis area.

Ehh. To me, he seems like the type of guy that goes out of his way to make himself appear like a stand up guy. Plays ball like an entitled brat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Tatum always talks up his hometown and seems to be a good guy.

I’m not of fan of the Celtics but I pull for all of the players from the St. Louis area.

I’ve seen him post on social media (or at least retweet) about the Billikens. Can’t really blame the kid for not picking SLU when Jim Crews was the one recruiting him. 99% of NBA players whine like that. I hope he has an exceptional career. Go Billikens!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reinert310 said:

I’ve seen him post on social media (or at least retweet) about the Billikens. Can’t really blame the kid for not picking SLU when Jim Crews was the one recruiting him. 99% of NBA players whine like that. I hope he has an exceptional career. Go Billikens!

Plus, he does Imo’s commercials. That alone is worth rooting for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’ve seen him post on social media (or at least retweet) about the Billikens. Can’t really blame the kid for not picking SLU when Jim Crews was the one recruiting him. 99% of NBA players whine like that. I hope he has an exceptional career. Go Billikens!

Sure. Right up there with James Harden who is also insufferable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

Sure. Right up there with James Harden who is also insufferable.

Lebron is the same way. So is Russ. Every star player in the NBA whines like that. One of the MANY reasons I prefer the college game so much over the Association. But Jayson is far from the only player doing it. He just happened to be the one doing it on national TV tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...