Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago I was one of the "win at any and all costs" fans. I really blasted the school and leadership for the handling of Situation 1, even going as far as to say the school didn't care about their athletic department or about winning for their fans because of that situation. I regret a lot of what I said then, because it was speaking out of emotion and wanting the team to be good no matter what. I accused some of our long-term fans of shilling for the University leadership, and that was wrong too. I literally wanted Saint Louis University to emulate the University of Kentucky's success (and I was an idiot at the time). 

Now, in Situation 2, I just want what many of the other fans in here want: an answer. If the athletes did something illegal and are charged with such...they need to no longer represent Saint Louis University. I don't think anyone on here thinks otherwise on that front. If they are not guilty of a criminal act, then we are back to the code of conduct from Situation 1, which I hope would be handled much better than it was at that time. I realize how slow certain processes are, and that is what is so frustrating for the fans. I can't even fathom what it is like for the parties to this. As Dean Jeff Lewis said during my first year of law school (2001), there is a reason that the rule of law exists: to protect all members of society. 

If the players are indeed innocent, I can't wait to see them on the floor. 

Spoon-Balls and Pistol like this

14 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Several years ago I was one of the "win at any and all costs" fans. I really blasted the school and leadership for the handling of Situation 1, even going as far as to say the school didn't care about their athletic department or about winning for their fans because of that situation. I regret a lot of what I said then, because it was speaking out of emotion and wanting the team to be good no matter what. I accused some of our long-term fans of shilling for the University leadership, and that was wrong too. I literally wanted Saint Louis University to emulate the University of Kentucky's success (and I was an idiot at the time). 

Now, in Situation 2, I just want what many of the other fans in here want: an answer. If the athletes did something illegal and are charged with such...they need to no longer represent Saint Louis University. I don't think anyone on here thinks otherwise on that front. If they are not guilty of a criminal act, then we are back to the code of conduct from Situation 1, which I hope would be handled much better than it was at that time. I realize how slow certain processes are, and that is what is so frustrating for the fans. I can't even fathom what it is like for the parties to this. As Dean Jeff Lewis said during my first year of law school (2001), there is a reason that the rule of law exists: to protect all members of society. 

If the players are indeed innocent, I can't wait to see them on the floor. 

Well said JettFlight5, one of the reasons I love the SLU program is integrity.  I am proud of the fact that the team has had medical students on a basketball scholarship.  The SLU basketball team is about trying to win the right way.  I think SLU's execution of both situations has been awkward and is open to deserved criticism that comes from this board.  I think the model program to follow in the foot steps is Gonazaga.  The only thing I am unhappy about with SLU on situation 2 is that SLU needs to update the status of the title IX investigation as far as it is still ongoing or it is complete.  I am sure there are other things that could be said by SLU that hasn't and it is time.  Even though I am not happy about the way SLU has handled situation 1 or 2 what I believe is that SLU's is doing what they are doing with the best of intentions.  Happy Friday everyone go bills.

It would be nice to know just WTF is going on and what we can expect going forward. That said, I can't fault SLU for keeping a lid on this given today's highly charged political situation re accusations of sexual misconduct. We're all agreed that if indeed they committed a crime they're gone and good riddance. This does not appear to be the case, however, so all we can do is wait and see what the school will hit them with for using some pretty p*&s poor judgement in placing themselves in this situation in the first place.

I just don't understand why fans can't be patient.

What you fail to understand is that this investigation does not involve you. 

Unless you you were involved in the situation. Which would mean you are under investigation.

The University or the Federal Government owe you nothing.

Not until the investigation is over.

billiken_roy likes this

must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls must stop feeding trolls....................

we have been patient for decades.   no fan base endures more pain than the billiken fandom.  you wouldnt know about that since you arent a billiken fan.

HenryB and 3star_recruit like this

In my opinion, Pestello's response to Nark proves that the leadership at the University does not prioritize athletics. And I'm not saying let the players off with no punishment to improve the basketball team because I don't want to be that program ever. I'm saying be a little more transparent to your supporters who give their hard-earned money to you and don't block out the media and then complain when SLU doesn't get more coverage. One would think that pissing off the fanbase of the sports program that can bring in the most money is a bad idea, but it's par for the course for SLU.

Kick them out of school if the actions violated major legal or university laws. But don't drag the players, women, donors, supporters, etc through an unending situation and give them no updates.

Zink likes this

59 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

I just don't understand why fans can't be patient.

Me neither.  I must agree.  Get a life, anyway...  this thread (which I started, btw) at 80 pages?? really??

Evidently some are clueless to the general tone of these issues in the media and culture right now;  when a guy like Matt Lauer can be summarily fired like he was the other day, I think it's pretty clear that we've reached some sort of unprecedented tipping point on issues of sexual abuse/assault, not to mention simply stupid sexual nonsense like has been alleged in this case.  I also value integrity in the program, and the school. 

From my reading of the student code, and what little knowledge I have of what was alleged to happen -- duh, some rules were broken.  Hope I'm wrong, but we some of us may need a bracing reality check.  But my point is --  we are living in very troubled times regarding these issues of sexual misconduct, and the media is hungry for more. So be patient and do it right. 

If you don't want to support SLU athletics, then don't:  I can PM you a list of a couple dozen very worthy  local charities that could use some additional holiday love and support.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

And we pay the bills.....

rich,  tilky would not understand that.   As a notre dame fan, he isnt used to anyone having to pay bills.  

57 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

In my opinion, Pestello's response to Nark proves that the leadership at the University does not prioritize athletics. And I'm not saying let the players off with no punishment to improve the basketball team because I don't want to be that program ever. I'm saying be a little more transparent to your supporters who give their hard-earned money to you and don't block out the media and then complain when SLU doesn't get more coverage. One would think that pissing off the fanbase of the sports program that can bring in the most money is a bad idea, but it's par for the course for SLU.

Kick them out of school if the actions violated major legal or university laws. But don't drag the players, women, donors, supporters, etc through an unending situation and give them no updates.

fantastic post.   i would have given you a positive post click but i am out of those again. 

there is no reason this has continued to drag out and shut out the boosters and fanbase like they have.   

6 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Me neither.  I must agree.  Get a life, anyway...  this thread (which I started, btw) at 80 pages?? really??

Evidently some are clueless to the general tone of these issues in the media and culture right now;  when a guy like Matt Lauer can be summarily fired like he was the other day, I think it's pretty clear that we've reached some sort of unprecedented tipping point on issues of sexual abuse/assault, not to mention simply stupid sexual nonsense like has been alleged in this case.  I also value integrity in the program, and the school. 

From my reading of the student code, and what little knowledge I have of what was alleged to happen -- duh, some rules were broken.  Hope I'm wrong, but we some of us may need a bracing reality check.  But my point is --  we are living in very troubled times regarding these issues of sexual misconduct, and the media is hungry for more. So be patient and do it right. 

If you don't want to support SLU athletics, then don't:  I can PM you a list of a couple dozen very worthy  local charities that could use some additional holiday love and support.

The holier-than-thou guy is always a classic. "Get a life" guy is even better. 

Also, when Lauer got found out, he was let go in less than 48 hours. People aren't upset about the content and that the players should be playing already no matter what. People are upset it has taken more than two months. I think almost all are in agreement here that if the players are guilty of a crime, the punishment should fit it - I don't think many here would want that representing the school.

slufan13, RealTalk and RiseAndGrind like this

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

The holier-than-thou guy is always a classic. "Get a life" guy is even better. 

Also, when Lauer got found out, he was let go in less than 48 hours. People aren't upset about the content and that the players should be playing already no matter what. People are upset it has taken more than two months. I think almost all are in agreement here that if the players are guilty of a crime, the punishment should fit it - I don't think many here would want that representing the school.

+1

3 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

At least speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with them making sure they do it right.  Especially right now, this is a big topic issue and there isn't a result to make everybody happy.  My only issue is the lack of any statements.  The SLU policy states very clearly that they will have it concluded in 60 days and if not, both parties will be notified for the reasoning and updated timeline.  Therefore per SLU policy, there should always be a timeline they are supposed to finish, it isn't just an open ended investigation.  By day 60 I would hope that even without revealing anything a statement to the sort of "we are following the procedure as closely as possible and due to the delicacy and the complexity of the situation with multiple kids being involved, we want to make sure we don't miss anything however we currently targeting to have it concluded by XXX."  

Chris May saying no updates and he assumes a statement will be made at the end just makes it seem unorganized to me at least.  You also get statements from the lawyer saying they don't understand why it's taking so long and that it's past 60 days so they will make a statement if SLU doesn't, which again adds in to the thought process that SLU isn't communicating to them like they are supposed to be per the policy.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

we have been patient for decades.   no fan base endures more pain than the billiken fandom.  you wouldnt know about that since you arent a billiken fan.

Then stop. It doesn't matter you have been patient for decades. That has no bearing on this investigation.

If you don't want to pay the bills anymore - stop.

Just because you buy season tickets, donate to the University gives you no right to demand anything.

Look at the Title IX guidelines.

Show me where it addresses that an investigation will be speeded up for, the benefit of fans or boosters.

if your daughter were involved would you feel differently?

billsbillsbills7 likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

An academic defending a process overly complicated and bungled by a bunch of academics. Good stuff. 

Meanwhile the real world handles this type of stuff in the matter of days. 

The inefficiency of academia is impressive... And the Title 9 thing is actually probably one of the better processes 

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Hey Doc nice thread

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

An academic defending a process overly complicated and bungled by a bunch of academics. Good stuff. 

Meanwhile the real world handles this type of stuff in the matter of days. 

Can we not make a common sense distinction between private businesses and a university dealing with sexual assault allegations involving students? I think we can. 

NBC fires Matt Lauer in a matter of hours because it is the convenient thing for them. They immediately get this problem off their hands, and they signal to the liberal public how virtuous they are. Lauer's mistakes were actually a positive PR opportunity.

Look, I'm part of that liberal public I'm making fun of, but you have to recognize idiocy when you see it.