Coach’s Radio Show Monday 7 pm

HoosierPal

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GMan Alum said:

I think Frank was referring to the suspensions and possible academic issues with Gordon as a reason for him "never wearing a SLU uniform". If Jay Blossom won't put up with some of Gordon's antics, neither will Travis.  I can't believe that anyone still thinks Gordon will ask for his LOI to be thrown away so he can attend another college.  As long as Ford stays, Gordon is coming to SLU.

I think if that were the case, then he wouldn't have said, "Some people say...."

I don't think academics is going to be an issue with Gordon. Blossom wouldn't have thrown out there that Gordon has improved in the classroom if grades were going to be an issue.  With all the ass covering Blossom was doing in that article he damn well would have thrown Gordon under the bus for his grades if he could have.

5 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Hines says he wants to play professionally? I about fell off my chair. Certainly doesn’t lack for confidence. 

Liechtenstein National Team is always looking for players.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 26 edition

Coach said there are other teams playing 6 or 7 guys, but he thinks no one plays as hard as our guys do.  He is still running them hour, hour and a half in practice.  Today it was half court.  But have to practice crisply, with game speed and rhythm.  Still going live in practice. They guarded Duquesne's plays today.

Motto of Team Blue was started this year.  They have what Team Blue means on paper.  Team has really bought into playing for Team Blue.  Adversity has made these guys stronger as Team Blue.  Every single player has to play their role.  Rammer said it is tangible that the players are working together, unselfish, for the good of the team.

Dayton game - Coach wasn't happy with how they started, but then in the middle of the first half, the defense picked up and lead to an offensive surge.  They hit a wall in the second half.  Arena was very hot and the team couldn't find the second wind as they usually do.

GW game -  Coach said in previous five games they were averaging in 83 ppg.  We held them to 53.  Great team defense.  It was clear GW had targeted French, 'not going to let French beat us'.  The double team caused problems early, but then French started kicking it out.  At half Coach drew up 3 to 4 plays that they never ran, before even in practice.  It was about spacing and positions.  They ran only one of them but it worked.  They stopped doubling French and he went to work.  Coach said GW had to get out of the double team as they were behind.  They had to come out to guard in order to win, and got out of trying not to loose with the double.  Coach said Johnson's best play with the tip in on the weak side rebound.

Assistant coaches in the A10 talk alot.  When they come in they say Billikens are physically a tough team to play.  Teams know it will be a physical battle when they play the Bills.  

Seniors Hines, Anthony and Roby were on next. [Haters can stop reading.]  Hines talked to other players about walking on.  He was promised no time and no scholarship.  He came to SLU for the education and because it was home.  Ford didn't know any of his new players when he came on board, but remembers seeing Hines in the gym all the time.  He was winning all the conditioning drills continuing to prove himself.  Coach is on Hines pretty hard - he is trying to get Hines mad as he knows Hines will play harder when he is angry.  Really enjoys Hines work ethic.  Hines response;"yeah he makes me mad a little bit."   Rammer said Hines is a clinic for on-ball defense.  Hines - defense is a mentality.  Ford - Hines is one of the tougher guys he has ever coached; he will stick his nose in there.   Hines wants to look overseas next season, but then maybe coach.

Anthony came here because he fell in love with the City on his visit.  Coach said they were looking at 3 or 4 guys for the final scholarship.  Coach said he was the first selection putting the others on hold.  Brought Anthony in first and liked him enough to offer without bringing the others in.  Coach said Anthony is a perfect teammate.  He respects everyone in the locker room.  Playing time doesn't change his attitude at all.  Coach credits Anthony for winning the first Duquesne game.  Anthony clicked with Johnson and Roby initially.  In Higher Education Administration Master's program.  Going into work force next year as a counselor to kids.  Rammer asked how tough it is banging against French every day.  Great response from Anthony 'Ask him how tough it is banging against me."

Roby was next.  Rammer talked about his old man moves. Came here due to the Coaching staff and university.  "I came here and stuck with it."  Coach says it will be tough replacing Davell.  Coach relies on Roby to run the team, to be an extension of the staff onto the floor.  Roby wants to look at continue playing ball next year.  Not sure where.  Will graduate in May in Education with a minor in Sociology.  Wants to teach, coach or counsel kids.  Not sure if he was joking, but he said he might want to be an Athletic Director.

Rammer let the seniors talk about Ford.  The Coach Ford Look....eyes together, turns his back, kicks the ribbon board, pulls the player out, but then apologizes.  Anthony - coach comes from the heart.  Players really didn't want to roast Coach even when given the opportunity by Rammer.

Three great guys.  Three great Billikens. 

Rashed just sounds like an awesome person. We might not see his contributions directly on the court but I think his attitude is probably a huge reason this team has been able to play through everything this season and work as hard as they have been. 

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 26 edition

Coach said there are other teams playing 6 or 7 guys, but he thinks no one plays as hard as our guys do.  He is still running them hour, hour and a half in practice.  Today it was half court.  But have to practice crisply, with game speed and rhythm.  Still going live in practice. They guarded Duquesne's plays today.

Motto of Team Blue was started this year.  They have what Team Blue means on paper.  Team has really bought into playing for Team Blue.  Adversity has made these guys stronger as Team Blue.  Every single player has to play their role.  Rammer said it is tangible that the players are working together, unselfish, for the good of the team.

Dayton game - Coach wasn't happy with how they started, but then in the middle of the first half, the defense picked up and lead to an offensive surge.  They hit a wall in the second half.  Arena was very hot and the team couldn't find the second wind as they usually do.

GW game -  Coach said in previous five games they were averaging in 83 ppg.  We held them to 53.  Great team defense.  It was clear GW had targeted French, 'not going to let French beat us'.  The double team caused problems early, but then French started kicking it out.  At half Coach drew up 3 to 4 plays that they never ran, before even in practice.  It was about spacing and positions.  They ran only one of them but it worked.  They stopped doubling French and he went to work.  Coach said GW had to get out of the double team as they were behind.  They had to come out to guard in order to win, and got out of trying not to loose with the double.  Coach said Johnson's best play with the tip in on the weak side rebound.

Assistant coaches in the A10 talk alot.  When they come in they say Billikens are physically a tough team to play.  Teams know it will be a physical battle when they play the Bills.  

Seniors Hines, Anthony and Roby were on next. [Haters can stop reading.]  Hines talked to other players about walking on.  He was promised no time and no scholarship.  He came to SLU for the education and because it was home.  Ford didn't know any of his new players when he came on board, but remembers seeing Hines in the gym all the time.  He was winning all the conditioning drills continuing to prove himself.  Coach is on Hines pretty hard - he is trying to get Hines mad as he knows Hines will play harder when he is angry.  Really enjoys Hines work ethic.  Hines response;"yeah he makes me mad a little bit."   Rammer said Hines is a clinic for on-ball defense.  Hines - defense is a mentality.  Ford - Hines is one of the tougher guys he has ever coached; he will stick his nose in there.   Hines wants to look overseas next season, but then maybe coach.

Anthony came here because he fell in love with the City on his visit.  Coach said they were looking at 3 or 4 guys for the final scholarship.  Coach said he was the first selection putting the others on hold.  Brought Anthony in first and liked him enough to offer without bringing the others in.  Coach said Anthony is a perfect teammate.  He respects everyone in the locker room.  Playing time doesn't change his attitude at all.  Coach credits Anthony for winning the first Duquesne game.  Anthony clicked with Johnson and Roby initially.  In Higher Education Administration Master's program.  Going into work force next year as a counselor to kids.  Rammer asked how tough it is banging against French every day.  Great response from Anthony 'Ask him how tough it is banging against me."

Roby was next.  Rammer talked about his old man moves. Came here due to the Coaching staff and university.  "I came here and stuck with it."  Coach says it will be tough replacing Davell.  Coach relies on Roby to run the team, to be an extension of the staff onto the floor.  Roby wants to look at continue playing ball next year.  Not sure where.  Will graduate in May in Education with a minor in Sociology.  Wants to teach, coach or counsel kids.  Not sure if he was joking, but he said he might want to be an Athletic Director.

Rammer let the seniors talk about Ford.  The Coach Ford Look....eyes together, turns his back, kicks the ribbon board, pulls the player out, but then apologizes.  Anthony - coach comes from the heart.  Players really didn't want to roast Coach even when given the opportunity by Rammer.

Thank you for this. I know we all get emotionally invested and pissed off when the guys screw up, but this is a great reminder that these are just kids working their butts off.  It’s obvious Coach connects with players in a way Crews never could. 

majerus mojo and HoosierPal like this

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Thank you for this. I know we all get emotionally invested and pissed off when the guys screw up, but this is a great reminder that these are just kids working their butts off.  It’s obvious Coach connects with players in a way Crews never could. 

It's easier for Ford to connect with the players than Crews because Ford has something in common with them...an understanding of the game of basketball. 

I think [dead] had an understanding of college basketball, hell he played on the last undefeated team and won a national title.  His problem is that was during the dinosaur times as preached by Bobby Knight and I think that way of thinking, that way of approach, has long been extinct.  Adapt or die.  Coach K is a disciple too but he has seemingly adapted.  Plus 1095 wins ad five national titles go a long way in making people listen.  Majerus was a dinosaur too but he had identified a system and decided that a kid had to be the right fit for that system for it and him to succeed.  [dead] only won with Majerus' players and Majeru's system.  When standing on his merits alone, nada. 

There are times you feel like you can go to war for someone and I get that feeling with Ford and this bunch.  Plus S2 has galvanized the team into that note Team Blue concept.  Us against the world.  As a coach, you have to find what works.  Pats on the back for some; kicks in the butts for others.  Like mid-term grades.

Glad it wasn't just me at UD Arena. It must've been 88 degrees in there. I was trying not to pass out.

I'm as guilty as anyone else for getting on these three about their play sometimes but there's no question they're all good dudes with good futures ahead of them. Great stuff. Wish I could make it out for senior night.

CBFan and Zink like this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 26 edition

Thank you HP for the summary good stuff about Hines.  I criticize Hines play at times but never ever his heart and the kind of man that I think he is.

Personally I hope that Hines uses his degree that he had to pay part of and check out the job market instead of trying to play pro ball overseas.

IMO Hines has earned something special and that is a SLU degree and I hope he makes good use of it.

Billiken Rich and Zink like this

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you HP for the summary good stuff about Hines.  I criticize Hines play at times but never ever his heart and the kind of man that I think he is.

Personally I hope that Hines uses his degree that he had to pay part of and check out the job market instead of trying to play pro ball overseas.

IMO Hines has earned something special and that is a SLU degree and I hope he makes good use of it.

agree, you can never question his effort.........

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Glad it wasn't just me at UD Arena. It must've been 88 degrees in there. I was trying not to pass out.

I'm as guilty as anyone else for getting on these three about their play sometimes but there's no question they're all good dudes with good futures ahead of them. Great stuff. Wish I could make it out for senior night.

Effing SVU's turning up the heat. Sounds like something Belichek would do.

Thanks for the summary. I'll give Hines an A for effort. He's a hard worker. Dead was never a good coach. Nothing much at Evansville, which used to be a pretty good program back in the 60's and 70's. Aces' fans are a lot like UD fans, since it's the only game in town. I recall we played them back in the early 70's at Kiel. There was a bunch of people wearing purple in the stands. Then Dead goes to Army and cooks up a big nothing burger. Not sure why the Great One thought he'd be a good temporary addition to his staff, or why he thought he'd be a good interim HC until he recovered (sadly didn't happen). Dead has to be one of the luckiest SOB's alive. Gets a team on auto pilot that carries him to COY award which makes it almost impossible to let him go back home to Indiana and retirement. Gets a big $$ contract and immediately destroys what was shaping up to be a consistent winning program. Just thinking about Dead makes me want to down a few single malts right now.

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Is there a rule regarding temperature in an arena? 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is there a rule regarding temperature in an arena? 

Not to my knowledge.

Temperature down on the floor at Scottrade was usually pretty chilly because of the ice. Ohanon used to complain constantly, and would wear long sleeves and layers during shootarounds there.

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not to my knowledge.

Temperature down on the floor at Scottrade was usually pretty chilly because of the ice. Ohanon used to complain constantly, and would wear long sleeves and layers during shootarounds there.

Then I don’t think it’s out of the realm of reasonable speculation to say Dayton turned up the heat to aide in fatiguing a short handed team.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Then I don’t think it’s out of the realm of reasonable speculation to say Dayton turned up the heat to aide in fatiguing a short handed team.

That arena is such a hunk of garbage.  It has no A/C.  I sweated my balz off at my sister's graduation there.  I should've dropped a deuce on the men's room floor on my way out.

DeSmetBilliken likes this