HoosierPal

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 19

Both Rammer and Coach in Dayton.  It was the Lisa Stone show.

This Sr. class is the winningest Sr. class in program history. From Coach Stone's description of the incoming signees, they might break that record.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:45 AM, slufanskip said:

Why the hell would someone mark this post with troll? He gives a nice detailed report of the coaches show, wtf is wrong with this?

sorry if its me, the damned things are to small for me to see. Guess I'll stop using them.

11 hours ago, billikenbill said:

This Sr. class is the winningest Sr. class in program history. From Coach Stone's description of the incoming signees, they might break that record.

I'm not sure Coach Stone is not smoking funny cigarettes!  The team is losing its top 4 scorers and 5 of the top 6.  Making matters worse, they are losing 4 of the top 6 rebounders, not to even mention losing the top all-time scorer in school history.

Stone needs to to have a UCONN/Baylor/S Carolina quality recruiting class and even then that class would be joining a roster almost devoid of talent.  Coach Stone seems like a really good person, but next year the program will be back where it was when she took over. 

Someone mentioned that they thought UCONN was coming here next year to play SLU a "homecoming" game for their All American from Incarnate Word.  If that is right you better hide the women and children because it could get very ugly:o

Frank C interviewed Coach this AM.  I caught the end of it.  A couple of new items, Coach said that DJ Foreman moves without the ball as well as any player he has ever coached.  He said DJ and French have developed a nice connection where they are anticipating DJ's movements, for a French assist.  He commented on French's FT. French makes them in practice.  Yes, he has tweaked French's stroke, but this summer they will spend ample time on it.  Coach said it is all with hand placement and with follow through.  Frank asked and Coach said he probably made 115ish FT's in a row during practices and games. 

Team is unique for Ford in that he is emphasizing Offensive Rebounds.  In the past he has been a "get back' offense, but this year he is pushing offensive boards. 

He really, really likes Pearson.  Said he would be one of the better ball handlers on this year's SLU team.  His body is finally starting to fill out.  Brings the ball up for Hardin against the press and is at the point on their press.

Frank asked and Coach said yes, he could see Goodwin and Thatch as next year's backcourt.  Said Gordon's best basketball is ahead of him.  (Geez, I hope so.)  Also, yes, he can communicate with Goodwin.

After Coach hung up, Frank ended it with 'there are those who think Gordon will never wear a Billiken uniform'.

Zink and CBFan like this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank C interviewed Coach this AM.  I caught the end of it.  A couple of new items, Coach said that DJ Foreman moves without the ball as well as any player he has ever coached.  He said DJ and French have developed a nice connection where they are anticipating DJ's movements, for a French assist.  He commented on French's FT. French makes them in practice.  Yes, he has tweaked French's stroke, but this summer they will spend ample time on it.  Coach said it is all with hand placement and with follow through.  Frank asked and Coach said he probably made 115ish FT's in a row during practices and games. 

Team is unique for Ford in that he is emphasizing Offensive Rebounds.  In the past he has been a "get back' offense, but this year he is pushing offensive boards. 

He really, really likes Pearson.  Said he would be one of the better ball handlers on this year's SLU team.  His body is finally starting to fill out.  Brings the ball up for Hardin against the press and is at the point on their press.

Frank asked and Coach said yes, he could see Goodwin and Thatch as next year's backcourt.  Said Gordon's best basketball is ahead of him.  (Geez, I hope so.)  Also, yes, he can communicate with Goodwin.

After Coach hung up, Frank ended it with 'there are those who think Gordon will never wear a Billiken uniform'.

I don’t understand the last comment. Is he insinuating that gordon has academic issues, people can’t believe he’s going to SLU, or what? 

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

He's just stoking the rumors he's getting from his Mizzou-fan buddies in the media.

That is rather naive.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/notebook-paul-sets-vianney-scoring-record-blossom-goes-all-in/article_df7172a2-15cc-11e8-a78f-f703346a5e41.html

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Why would he do that? 

Who is naive?  Those who Frank says say that Gordon will never suit up for the Billikens?  Frank?  Or me?

Based on the report of Cusumano's comment, I believe he's been hearing from fellow members of the media, behind the scenes, who (like many typical Mizzou fans) enviously wish for Gordon to flip to Mizzou (and for Goodwin to leave SLU for Mizzou).  Some of them are trying, desperately, to generate a narrative that they wish would pressure Gordon (and Goodwin) into ditching SLU and attending Mizzou.  They feel entitled to every credible high-major level St. Louis-area recruit and do not want SLU to have any chance of being a major player in college basketball.

They've been at it for a while, constantly tweeting at Carte'Are before he signed, begging him to decommit from SLU.  Frank, with his comment today after the interview with Coach Ford, was needling those Mizzou fans and the members of the media who are sympathetic to that dubious cause.  He is implying that their wishing is futile.

Get me?  I probably chose the wrong phrase in my earlier post.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

One other item I forgot to add Ford said yes he anticipates signing at least one more recruit. His words were, "We have one or two open scholarships." I found that interesting.

Yeah, I would think they have three open scholarships.  Maybe he was being facetious.  We still don't really know the disposition of Bishop's case, though.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yeah, I would think they have three open scholarships.  Maybe he was being facetious.  We still don't really know the disposition of Bishop's case, though.

And Welmer. Is he coming back? I have no idea how similar the injury is but our towns Courtney Stockard spent 2 years on the St. Bonnie IR with foot problems. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And Welmer. Is he coming back? I have no idea how similar the injury is but our towns Courtney Stockard spent 2 years on the St. Bonnie IR with foot problems. 

Yeah, I guess if Welmer gets the Femi John treatment, that would give SLU four open scholarships to fill.

The Webster coach said that working through Gordon's "issues" has been the most difficult thing he's had to do in his 29 years of coaching.  That was a quote from the article.  He also said that he very nearly kicked Gordon off of the team.  This would be the second high school team that he has left/been kicked off of if it wasn't for his current coach's benevolence (or just wanting to keep winning).  I know that no one wants to hear this, but this guy may be a cancer for a team that could be very good already without him.  His talent is undeniable, but his attitude may cause more losses here than his talent gives us.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The Webster coach said that working through Gordon's "issues" has been the most difficult thing he's had to do in his 29 years of coaching.  That was a quote from the article.  He also said that he very nearly kicked Gordon off of the team.  This would be the second high school team that he has left/been kicked off of if it wasn't for his current coach's benevolence (or just wanting to keep winning).  I know that no one wants to hear this, but this guy may be a cancer for a team that could be very good already without him.  His talent is undeniable, but his attitude may cause more losses here than his talent gives us.

I just have a hard time believing the kid is that big of a problem when he "was part of a state championship team at Webster, won a national championship with the MoKan Elite in the rugged Elite Youth Basketball League and helped Team USA win a gold medal at the Under-17 World Championships."  I am sure he has problems and some growing up to do but I don't see how he isn't worth taking a chance on with his talent and hasn't prevented teams from winning before.  

57 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Who is naive?  Those who Frank says say that Gordon will never suit up for the Billikens?  Frank?  Or me?

Based on the report of Cusumano's comment, I believe he's been hearing from fellow members of the media, behind the scenes, who (like many typical Mizzou fans) enviously wish for Gordon to flip to Mizzou (and for Goodwin to leave SLU for Mizzou).  Some of them are trying, desperately, to generate a narrative that they wish would pressure Gordon (and Goodwin) into ditching SLU and attending Mizzou.  They feel entitled to every credible high-major level St. Louis-area recruit and do not want SLU to have any chance of being a major player in college basketball.

They've been at it for a while, constantly tweeting at Carte'Are before he signed, begging him to decommit from SLU.  Frank, with his comment today after the interview with Coach Ford, was needling those Mizzou fans and the members of the media who are sympathetic to that dubious cause.  He is implying that their wishing is futile.

Get me?  I probably chose the wrong phrase in my earlier post.

I think Frank was referring to the suspensions and possible academic issues with Gordon as a reason for him "never wearing a SLU uniform".  If Jay Blossom won't put up with some of Gordon's antics, neither will Travis.  I can't believe that anyone still thinks Gordon will ask for his LOI to be thrown away so he can attend another college.  As long as Ford stays, Gordon is coming to SLU.

16 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

I think Frank was referring to the suspensions and possible academic issues with Gordon as a reason for him "never wearing a SLU uniform".  If Jay Blossom won't put up with some of Gordon's antics, neither will Travis.  I can't believe that anyone still thinks Gordon will ask for his LOI to be thrown away so he can attend another college.  As long as Ford stays, Gordon is coming to SLU.

Thanks for responding, I think Frank and others in the area would be inclined to replace SLU (in the quoted section of your post) with college from what I have heard.

49 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Or his story could be a touching story of growth and success for the Hallmark channel.