Coach’s Radio Show Monday 7 pm

HoosierPal

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-with this elephant in the room imo Rammer should during the intro say something like 'we know you want to know about the players that aren't playing, we know nothing, we can't discuss it, hope they are playing soon and that is all we are going to say and now on to Duquesne....

Fun show tonight.  Coach said the team has been really 'close' to winning lately, but you don't play to be close.  Closing out games is an issue.  One missed blockout, one missed free throw; these details that are hurting the team.

He spent a fair amount of time talking about Roby.  Coach said his game at GM was maybe the most efficient game he has been associated with.  Rammer added that if he had made his FT, he would have had 30.  Coach also said Roby was very good defensively, missing only one or two assignments.  Said he believes Roby stayed when all the others in his recruiting class left the team two years ago as he saw what a good influence SLU was having on his college career.  Complimented Roby on continuing to want to improve.  He and Davell get head to head occasionally, but Coach explains to his players that he can take that exchange, and the players should take it positively. 

Michael Wilson was there and they spent a good amount of time talking about how they break down tape for each opponent.  Van Macon is handling the Duquesne game, and by game time the various coaches will have watched over 100 hours of tape on the Dukes.  Wilson prepares tape on offense, defense, and on each player.  Then they put together a document of tendencies, how many times in the past three games the opponent runs a play.  Then Coach looks at the list of plays and if they run the play over X times a game, the team defends the play at practice.  If they run the play only once per game, they talk about it.  But then during a game, they get the gut punch and throw the scouting report out the window.  This was really a good discussion.

The Dukes, according to Coach, have the second best group of 4 guards in the A10 behind Rhode Island.  They are 'beefy' inside.  AND, the Red Panda will be there at halftime. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fun show tonight.  Coach said the team has been really 'close' to winning lately, but you don't play to be close.  Closing out games is an issue.  One missed blockout, one missed free throw; these details that are hurting the team.

He spent a fair amount of time talking about Roby.  Coach said his game at GM was maybe the most efficient game he has been associated with.  Rammer added that if he had made his FT, he would have had 30.  Coach also said Roby was very good defensively, missing only one or two assignments.  Said he believes Roby stayed when all the others in his recruiting class left the team two years ago as he saw what a good influence SLU was having on his college career.  Complimented Roby on continuing to want to improve.  He and Davell get head to head occasionally, but Coach explains to his players that he can take that exchange, and the players should take it positively. 

Michael Wilson was there and they spent a good amount of time talking about how they break down tape for each opponent.  Van Macon is handling the Duquesne game, and by game time the various coaches will have watched over 100 hours of tape on the Dukes.  Wilson prepares tape on offense, defense, and on each player.  Then they put together a document of tendencies, how many times in the past three games the opponent.  Then Coach looks at the list of plays and if they run the play over X times a game, the team defends the play at practice.  If they run the play only once per game, they talk about it.  But then during a game, they get the gut punch and throw the scouting report out the window.  This was really a good discussion.

The Dukes, according to Coach, have the second best group of 4 guards in the A10 behind Rhode Island.  They are 'beefy' inside.  AND, the Red Panda will be there at halftime. 

Thanks for the recap! 

Scouting has gotten so much more sophisticated as game video has gotten easier to acquire, save, edit, and so forth. We were still using VHS tapes in my era (2001-2005) and the things they're doing now would've been impossible then, given the limitations of technology, personnel, and time. Just getting tapes of certain teams was a tall task, let alone getting every single game a team has played and sorting it based on individual players and plays. It's really incredible what coaches are able to do now.

Ford was watching his son play tonight.  Tate was there instead.  Ford and Tate were watching Thatch this afternoon in a tourney at Ft. Zumwalt.   Tate couldn't say enough about Thatch.  He has known the family for a long time.  2000 points and 1000 rebounds.  He had been hurt earlier this year and this game was his third one back.

A lot of talk on Tate's background.  He was headed to SLU until Winfield was let go. He wanted to play with Clags, but that didn't happen. He followed Winfield to Columbia after a year at JC.

Good talk about Foreman and Goodwin and how fun it was that Goodwin got his triple double on the play where Roby got 1000.  Tate reminded Rammer that six months ago Goodwin and French were in high school. Tate said the game is slowing down for G and F.  At first the college game was too fast for them, but now "it is beautiful to see them coming into their own". 

Tate to Roby, "Hey it's the countdown.  How do you want to be remembered?  Play the game like you want to be remembered." 

Kalish finished up.  He wanted to come to SLU out of HS, but Clarke ran out of scholarships.  When the UConn coach retired, he came back home.

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford was watching his son play tonight.  Tate was there instead.  Ford and Tate were watching Thatch this afternoon in a tourney at Ft. Zumwalt.   Tate couldn't say enough about Thatch.  He has known the family for a long time.  2000 points and 1000 rebounds.  He had been hurt earlier this year and this game was his third one back.

A lot of talk on Tate's background.  He was headed to SLU until Winfield was let go. He wanted to play with Clags, but that didn't happen. He followed Winfield to Columbia after a year at JC.

Good talk about Foreman and Goodwin and how fun it was that Goodwin got his triple double on the play where Roby got 1000.  Tate reminded Rammer that six months ago Goodwin and French were in high school. Tate said the game is slowing down for G and F.  At first the college game was too fast for them, but now "it is beautiful to see them coming into their own". 

Tate to Roby, "Hey it's the countdown.  How do you want to be remembered?  Play the game like you want to be remembered." 

Thank you HP.

You do a great job at sumerizing the coaches show it is always a good read, well done.

Coach was on with Frank C.  Frank and Martin wanted to talk about Coach addressing the crowd after the Dayton game.  Coach said he had done that once or twice before.

They asked about not fouling with 14 seconds left in the VCU game.  Coach said 14 was too much time.  If they could have fouled around 7 seconds, they would have.  But it didn't come off.  He apparently called/talked to some other coaches since then and they all agreed 14 seconds was too many.

He talked about how this team has found it's identity in the last two weeks.  They know what they have to do to win.  Frank remarked that this team has widespread talent, with Foreman and Goodwin last week's scoring leaders and Bess and Johnson this weeks.

Yes, they are in regular communication with the three signed recruits.  Pearson is currently 4th in KY high school scoring.

After Coach hung up, Frank said he has recently spoken with Ramey's father.  SLU is not recruiting his son, nor is Missouri.  That seemed strange to Frank and Martin, with the dire need of a PC. 

majerus mojo, Bills_06 and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach was on with Frank C.  Frank and Martin wanted to talk about Coach addressing the crowd after the Dayton game.  Coach said he had done that once or twice before.

They asked about not fouling with 14 seconds left in the VCU game.  Coach said 14 was too much time.  If they could have fouled around 7 seconds, they would have.  But it didn't come off.  He apparently called/talked to some other coaches since then and they all agreed 14 seconds was too many.

He talked about how this team has found it's identity in the last two weeks.  They know what they have to do to win.  Frank remarked that this team has widespread talent, with Foreman and Goodwin last week's scoring leaders and Bess and Johnson this weeks.

Yes, they are in regular communication with the three signed recruits.  Pearson is currently 4th in KY high school scoring.

After Coach hung up, Frank said he has recently spoken with Ramey's father.  SLU is not recruiting his son, nor is Missouri.  That seemed strange to Frank and Martin, with the dire need of a PC. 

Thanks for the recap.  I gotta think there is too much baggage associated with Ramey.  

12 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Thanks for the recap.  I gotta think there is too much baggage associated with Ramey.  

Yep you don't know what went down for him to commit to Louisville.  But per Frank, Ramey's father said his son has offers from Villanova, UCLA, Ohio State, Clemson and a few others I forgot. 

I know it's been said elsewhere, but it's not that SLU and Mizzou wouldn't take Ramey in a heartbeat. It's that he and his father aren't interested. Both schools offered, but they're not going to waste their time, energy, and resources once the Rameys make it clear that SLU and Mizzou aren't in the running. Frank and other local media members should be aware of that, and not treat it as some shortcoming by either coaching staff.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I know it's been said elsewhere, but it's not that SLU and Mizzou wouldn't take Ramey in a heartbeat. It's that he and his father aren't interested. Both schools offered, but they're not going to waste their time, energy, and resources once the Rameys make it clear that SLU and Mizzou aren't in the running. Frank and other local media members should be aware of that, and not treat it as some shortcoming by either coaching staff.

-i do find it interesting that we have company as to who the Ramey's are not looking at from a semi-local pov

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-i do find it interesting that we have company as to who the Ramey's are not looking at from a semi-local pov

An unlikely ally, yes.

It's just weird to me that Frank and Kilcoyne take Terrell Ramey's word at face value with regard to SLU and Mizzou. Ramey isn't going to say, "I've had my eye on the big time for Courtney from the beginning, and we have ambitions beyond SLU and Mizzou," even though it's the truth. He's going to feign ignorance so he doesn't come off as a jerk. They should know enough to realize that these programs aren't just going to flat-out ignore a top-50 kid in their own backyard. How dense can they be? 'Gee, both programs could use another point guard - do you think they're aware that one of the best high school point guards in the country is in Webster Groves?' It's so dumb. The coaches are obviously aware. They've obviously done their due diligence. There's an obvious reason they're not actively recruiting him, and it's not because of incompetence. Don't let Terrell Ramey, the single most biased source as it relates to Courtney Ramey's recruitment, shape the narrative about how these programs recruit.

Just now, Pistol said:

An unlikely ally, yes.

It's just weird to me that Frank and Kilcoyne take Terrell Ramey's word at face value with regard to SLU and Mizzou. Ramey isn't going to say, "I've had my eye on the big time for Courtney from the beginning, and we have ambitions beyond SLU and Mizzou," even though it's the truth. He's going to feign ignorance so he doesn't come off as a jerk. They should know enough to realize that these programs aren't just going to flat-out ignore a top-50 kid in their own backyard. How dense can they be? 'Gee, both programs could use another point guard - do you think they're aware that one of the best high school point guards in the country is in Webster Groves?' It's so dumb. The coaches are obviously aware. They've obviously done their due diligence. There's an obvious reason they're not actively recruiting him, and it's not because of incompetence. Don't let Terrell Ramey, the single most biased source as it relates to Courtney Ramey's recruitment, shape the narrative about how these programs recruit.

And when Courtney was on 101 a few weeks ago, he could not have sounded less interested at the prospects of going to SLU.  It was obvious that we weren't in the running.

and i would be willing to bet that the last thing both ford and martin said to the ramey's when the ramey's told them no thanks, "well if you have a change of heart, please call."

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

An unlikely ally, yes.

It's always SLU's fault in local recruiting circles. The local media typically only hears from the kid's parents or AAU handler, so it's usually one-sided.

One of the many things I enjoyed about RM was that he didn't put up with that crap. I recall an interview with him soon after the season we made the tourney, they asked RM about not recruiting local players. To paraphrase, he talked about a local juco kid SLU offered whose handlers wanted him to go the "big time." He chose TCU, who was terrible at the time, but in the Big East. RM didn't name him but the kid was Connell Crossland, who was just a role player. RM said something like "the kid could have played for his hometown team in the NCAA Tournament. Instead, he really wanted to play in the Big East. But it turns out TCU moved to the Big 12. So instead of playing for the last place team in the Big East, he wound playing for the last place team in the Big 12." Most coaches wouldn't have gone there. Loved it! 

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

An unlikely ally, yes.

Let's face it, the local sports media is not exactly the most hard-hitting bunch.  It's also not hard to see the family's connections with Team Adidas and Louisville and not come the conclusion that the Rameys aren't going to a lower level school without a little quid pro quo.