SLU vs siu: I guess we’ll do a game thread

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win. We needed that.

What we don't need is Aaron Hines playing. It would be so nice to have our suspended players available, relegating him to the end of the bench.

Hines' last made 3-pointer was against Detroit. He made 1 of 6. Since then? He's 0 for 12.

He has 6 made 3-pointers on the season. 4 of those were against Seattle in our opening game. He has 35 attempts. Take out Seattle, he's 2/28, same as Goodwin.

Hines did have 7 assists tonight and just 1 turnover. That brings him to 15 and 15 for the season. Not good, but he did have a productive night in one area.

He just needs to stop shooting. Don't listen to Travis Ford about that. Listen to us.

Regardless of whether or not Ford actually said that, I am glad he’s sticking up for a guy who had a tough shooting night in the post game presser by effectively saying that you can blame him (Ford) for any of Hines’ misses. He knows as well as we do the guy is not a good shooter. 

20 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

What happened with Foreman?

I don’t know, but I wonder if he had the same illness that Roby had. Obviously he wasn’t running off to the locker room during the game, but maybe he was under the weather. That’s the best guess I can come up with when we were as short handed as we were and Foreman had been playing more as of late.

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t know, but I wonder if he had the same illness that Roby had. Obviously he wasn’t running off to the locker room during the game, but maybe he was under the weather. That’s the best guess I can come up with when we were as short handed as we were and Foreman had been playing more as of late.

Either he was sick or said something to get benched . 

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

French is up to 17 blocks this season, good for 9th place all-time for SLU freshmen. He's played 7 games. He's 1/3 of the way to the all-time freshman class record (51), and the team is roughly 1/4 of the way (hopefully less) through the season.

You and I are the only two that track this, but French is actually tied for 11th in Freshman blocks.  If you are using the list on the website from 15-16, you need to add Welmer's 32 from last year.  Then note that the numbering sequence is off with two #8's.  Then add in Johnson's 17 from last year, putting French tied with JJ.  It won't matter, as Big Chill's 51 is the attainable target.

Just another list Brian will be cleaning up soon.

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

French was the difference tonight. 

The whole team was the difference last night all contributed and it had to be that way because there were only 6 players available after Roby went down.

Hines 7 assists and his scoring was needed as was Goodwin's 20 points, Bess hitting some huge 3's, French's defense and scoring, JJ 3's, Anthony's 5 points and Roby's 8 points.

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Fun fact: We're raving about French's performance and he tied his season low in rebounds, with 4 (also had 4 vs. VT).

He just made big plays when we needed them, played tough defense, and the difference he makes doesn't always show up in the stat sheet. Werewolves gonna werewolf.

Homme-loup = werewolf in French. 

20 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-HF took two dribbles before half court on his drive and dunked, when was the last time we had a big do that? ever?

-I hope the team is healthy, watching the replay of DR that looked scary,

While watching had flashback to Reggie's breakaway where  he just had to double-dribble about 40 feet from the basket with no one chasing him. This one ended a lot more satisfactorily.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

You and I are the only two that track this, but French is actually tied for 11th in Freshman blocks.  If you are using the list on the website from 15-16, you need to add Welmer's 32 from last year.  Then note that the numbering sequence is off with two #8's.  Then add in Johnson's 17 from last year, putting French tied with JJ.  It won't matter, as Big Chill's 51 is the attainable target.

Just another list Brian will be cleaning up soon.

Good point. I keep forgetting that the current records online haven't been updated with last year's details.

Brian has forgotten, as well (he Tweeted last night that French was already up to 9th).

Regardless, you are correct, and French is going to blow by all of them in short order, barring unforeseen circumstances.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good point. I keep forgetting that the current records online haven't been updated with last year's details.

Brian has forgotten, as well (he Tweeted last night that French was already up to 9th).

Regardless, you are correct, and French is going to blow by all of them in short order, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Getting even further ahead of ourselves - French has a very easy bath to the career record of 135 by Ian Vouyoukas.  At his current pace French would probably get there during the 1st half of his junior season.  Of course, #2 Melvin Robinson and #3 (tied) Willie Reed on the list are cautionary tales of projecting career records early in a player's career.