GDT: SLU vs. WMU - Busting the Broncos

Pistol

-if JG is our best player and his most likely place to score is at the basket why when he has the ball do we clog the lane and bring other defenders as opposed to clearing out to let him get to the basket?  I understand we don't have shooters to keep the defense honest, but too often I see JG with the ball at the top or ft line and he can't drive because we have a player move into the spot where the drive could happen

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if JG is our best player and his most likely place to score is at the basket why when he has the ball do we clog the lane and bring other defenders as opposed to clearing out to let him get to the basket?  I understand we don't have shooters to keep the defense honest, but too often I see JG with the ball at the top or ft line and he can't drive because we have a player move into the spot where the drive could happen

I think you answered your own question

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Need a stretch big. A defender is not going to follow French or Foreman out to the 3-point line.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Need a stretch big. A defender is not going to follow French or Foreman out to the 3-point line.

Welmer getting healthy (hopefully) is going to be a big help in that regard.

The way I see it to have a chance on offense anymore in basketball you need at least three 3pt shooters on the floor at all times.  I'm not talking elite level shooterts, but basically someone who will keep the D honest who will take and regularly make open 3 point shots.  I'm not saying that's all you need, but if you're trying to get by with less than 3 in your regular lineup, you're going to be in trouble or need something else to compensate.

I think back to the good ole day of our recent NCAA tournament teams.  We often played Jett & Evans together (2 non-shooters) and our successful lineups always included 3 shooters (Loe, Barnett, McCall or Loe, Ellis, Mitchell).  This was somewhat mitigated by the fact that Jett & Evans could knock down mid-range jumpers, but when a guy like Grandy Glaze was put into the lineup it didn't work as well.  Back when Conklin was banging down low, Jett played a much lesser role in the offense.

Of our current available players, Roby and Johnson are really the only ones who can knock down threes consistently.  Hines will take them, but he is a career 26% 3pt shooter, so defenses want him shooting the ball.  It is impossible for us to put 3 shooters together on the floor at one time.

In making that last post, I was diving into our current stats a bit and just realized how awful Roby has been so far this season.  He was supposed to be a senior leader this year.  I expected that his usage may go down a bit with better players around him (before S2 happened), but I thought his efficiency would go up and he'd look much improved as a senior.  Obviously, he doesn't have the S2 players around him, but so far I think his contributions have been the most disappointing of any player on our roster.

That brings up the a question:  If a player improves tremendously his senior year, we we say that he had a "Conklin summer".  What do we say about a guy who is a huge disappointment is senior year?  I wanted to go with "he had a Jolly summer" (perhaps he was stuck in a wash basin all summer and his basketball skills deteriorated), but I'm not sure that fits since Jolly never made it to his senior year at SLU.  Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is a huge relief. Ankle, not knee. Day-to-day, not expected out for a long period. Man, I was nervous about this one.

When someone mentioned in a post he has overextended the knee I cringed, thinking ligament tears. Thank the Lord for deliverance, it is an ankle sprain, not the knee, and not a fracture. He would not be on day to day status if it was a fracture.

2 hours ago, billikens747 said:

I'll be more relieved when he actually practices. 

54 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but Ankle issues can linger for a loooong time. 

Here's hoping for the best.

Given the range of possibilities when we saw our best rebounder and shot blocker leave with a leg injury, a pesky ankle injury is not the worst outcome by a long shot. I'd rather be cautious with him and take our lumps (even more so) in the short term, but here's hoping he can get back out there very soon.

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Given the range of possibilities when we saw our best rebounder and shot blocker leave with a leg injury, a pesky ankle injury is not the worst outcome by a long shot. I'd rather be cautious with him and take our lumps (even more so) in the short term, but here's hoping he can get back out there very soon.

Definitely better than a knee injury, but we saw how Conklin's ankle injury affected him.  Hopefully French is a quick healer.

3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Hopefully French is a quick healer.

Jesus Christ, Box, i know you know the answer to this already.  

https://www.werewolves.com/do-werewolves-really-heal-that-fast/

Werewolves really do heal very quickly. In fact, besides their most unstoppable size and sheer strength, this is one trait of the werewolf that does make them so powerful. Minor wounds barely even have a chance to show before they are all healed. Even more serious wounds such as a gunshot will show signs of healing over only seconds after the shot hits. Larger wounds, such as large gashes or broken bones, will heal in just a few minutes or at least in under a day. Virtually anything that happens to a werewolf won’t take that long to soon be gone as though it had never even happened.”

49 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Jesus Christ, Box, i know you know the answer to this already.  

https://www.werewolves.com/do-werewolves-really-heal-that-fast/

Werewolves really do heal very quickly. In fact, besides their most unstoppable size and sheer strength, this is one trait of the werewolf that does make them so powerful. Minor wounds barely even have a chance to show before they are all healed. Even more serious wounds such as a gunshot will show signs of healing over only seconds after the shot hits. Larger wounds, such as large gashes or broken bones, will heal in just a few minutes or at least in under a day. Virtually anything that happens to a werewolf won’t take that long to soon be gone as though it had never even happened.”

Old guy wanted me to forward this message to you....

Ankle sprains occur when the ligaments that support the ankle become stretched or torn.  These types of sprains can be tricky, and the recovery period depends on the level of activity to which you are trying to return, as well as the severity of the sprain that you have suffered.

The grades of ankle sprains are classified by the extent of damage to the ligaments:

Grade l: mild sprain with stretching and possible mild tearing of the ligaments – usually results in soreness without instability and possible mild swelling

Grade ll: moderate sprain with partial tearing of the ligaments – usually results in moderate pain, some joint instability and swelling with bruising throughout the ankle and foot

Grade lll: severe sprain with gross joint instability and possible ligamentous rupture – usually results in severe pain with significant swelling and extensive bruising

Avulsion fracture: instead of ligament stretching, one or more ligaments are torn away from the bone causing the bone to fracture in the process

In regard to return to sport, Grade l sprains typically take 2-4 weeks or more to regain full mobility and for swelling to fully resolve, whereas Grade II sprains, being a little more severe, make take more like 6-8 weeks. A grade III sprain or avulsion fraction recovery time depends on several factors. Some physical therapists and orthopedic physicians may determine that early immobilization in a walking boot is necessary to allow the ligaments time to heal in type II and III sprains. In the event that there is a full rupture or avulsion fracture, it is possible that surgery will be required to reconstruct the ligaments. In cases where surgery is required, the patient is typically in therapy for 12 weeks to 6 months before return to play is allowed with most sports that require weight bearing.

Always follow the advice of your physician and/or physical therapist and don’t push yourself to get back into the game or other activities more quickly than is recommended.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Old guy wanted me to forward this message to you....

Ankle sprains occur when the ligaments that support the ankle become stretched or torn.  These types of sprains can be tricky, and the recovery period depends on the level of activity to which you are trying to return, as well as the severity of the sprain that you have suffered.

The grades of ankle sprains are classified by the extent of damage to the ligaments:

Grade l: mild sprain with stretching and possible mild tearing of the ligaments – usually results in soreness without instability and possible mild swelling

Grade ll: moderate sprain with partial tearing of the ligaments – usually results in moderate pain, some joint instability and swelling with bruising throughout the ankle and foot

Grade lll: severe sprain with gross joint instability and possible ligamentous rupture – usually results in severe pain with significant swelling and extensive bruising

Avulsion fracture: instead of ligament stretching, one or more ligaments are torn away from the bone causing the bone to fracture in the process

In regard to return to sport, Grade l sprains typically take 2-4 weeks or more to regain full mobility and for swelling to fully resolve, whereas Grade II sprains, being a little more severe, make take more like 6-8 weeks. A grade III sprain or avulsion fraction recovery time depends on several factors. Some physical therapists and orthopedic physicians may determine that early immobilization in a walking boot is necessary to allow the ligaments time to heal in type II and III sprains. In the event that there is a full rupture or avulsion fracture, it is possible that surgery will be required to reconstruct the ligaments. In cases where surgery is required, the patient is typically in therapy for 12 weeks to 6 months before return to play is allowed with most sports that require weight bearing.

Always follow the advice of your physician and/or physical therapist and don’t push yourself to get back into the game or other activities more quickly than is recommended.

How about the dreaded high ankle sprain?

On 11/28/2017 at 9:21 PM, 615Billiken said:

Why should he get lost. It is a nightmare... some MBM’s have an obsession with picking on some people.

Thank you. It’s getting close to a semester suspension. At this point we have to wonder if these scholarships will be available for other 2018 recruits. How long is French out?

French was dressed and went through warmups.   When he didn't start that was really the first clue he wasn't right.   I would think assuming he doesn't tweak the ankle again before next game he will play

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

French was dressed and went through warmups.   When he didn't start that was really the first clue he wasn't right.   I would think assuming he doesn't tweak the ankle again before next game he will play

Just shut him down. This season ain’t going anywhere