GDT: SLU vs. WMU - Busting the Broncos

Pistol

6 hours ago, Westy03 said:

I assume that someone will say some words about a thing that should have been a huge non-issue but now obviously isn't.  May is such a diokhead.  Fire his ass.  And Pestello.  SLU is a joke these days.   Used to be you high-fived guys for a threesome.  Maybe somebody could Snapchat themselves fuuking May and Pestello.  I'd high-five them.  Spineless 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

If the players are guilty, then the administration, and STLPD, just let them roam (prowl) around campus for an extra two months (and counting). In what world does that make sense. It doesn’t make it look better because we haven’t let them in the actual basketball games, which would become trivial 

I think it is called innocent until proven guilty.

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Then why are they suspended from games?

How would it look if SLU allowed them to play while this type of investigation was going on?

If they allowed the players to play it would appear that they were more concerned about winning basketball games as opposed to finding out what happened.

This is not over. If the players end up being charged (which I guess is still a possibility) then would you agree they shouldn't play?

You should be angry at the players for putting the program and SLU in this position. They are responsible. Not SLU.

7 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

How would it look if SLU allowed them to play while this type of investigation was going on?

If they allowed the players to play it would appear that they were more concerned about winning basketball games as opposed to finding out what happened.

This is not over. If the players end up being charged (which I guess is still a possibility) then would you agree they shouldn't play?

You should be angry at the players for putting the program and SLU in this position. They are responsible. Not SLU.

How do you know the players did anything wrong?

9 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

10-0 run after French came out after his made free throw went from 40-37 to 50-37 about 4 minutes.

If I recall French sat out a few early practices with a leg injury shortly after practice started.  I'm not sure if this is the same leg, but let's hope this isn't a chronic issue.

Just now, Box and Won said:

Please don't engage the trolls.

+1, Metz club for the troll.

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If I recall French sat out a few early practices with a leg injury shortly after practice started.  I'm not sure if this is the same leg, but let's hope this isn't a chronic issue.

As I was leaving the arena I heard one of the staff say it was the same ankle. 

Now that I've had time to sleep it off, a few thoughts on last night:

-The thing we counted on this team to do every game was win the rebounding battle. WMU pulled down 40 rebounds last night, SLU 28. That proves what we've been saying about this team already looking exhausted. They need reinforcements ASAP or this problem isn't going away.

-That's really the theme of the night, and of the season. Without reinforcements, we're in for another long one. I hope Welmer's getting close - we haven't talked about him much with the ongoing case of the other players - because every single addition helps at this point. If the suspended players return soon, what does that mean for Graves? Did his "suspension" happen while he was ineligible, or are we just not going to see him much if at all this season? So many questions that get more pressing and painful with each passing day.

-I feel genuinely bad for Goodwin. That kid plays hard, hates to come out, and is everything I hoped he'd be (his all-around game will show even more when we can run an offense with some shooters). I hate to see him being wasted.

-I'm perplexed about Rashed Anthony. I've always been interested in the choices grad transfers make, as they're normally looking to play big minutes and/or go somewhere they think a Tournament bid is likely. Did we take him knowing he'd be the last guy off the bench? Did we think he was better than he is? I just don't see where this decision was made, as there appears to be no mutual benefit.

-12-20 from the FT line is not going to be uncommon for this team. Get used to it. A few months ago I was looking at FT percentages at everyone's previous schools and it wasn't pretty. Our best FT shooters are the guys currently not playing.

-I said before the season we don't need to talk about Hines because he'll only be a factor if something devastating happens. Well, here we are, with our former walk-on who thinks he's Kobe playing 24 minutes per game and taking about 8 1/2 shots a game. He had a good first game, his first half against Rockhurst was good, and he was okay against VT. Otherwise, he's been brutal, just painful to watch. The offense just stops when he's out there, not that it's been exactly fluid without him.

-French's injury is the biggest concern for me. He's set to be our leading rebounder and shot blocker this season. Not only do we need bodies, he brings something to the table we need. This is potentially devastating.

juniorbill76 likes this

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-I'm perplexed about Rashed Anthony. I've always been interested in the choices grad transfers make, as they're normally looking to play big minutes and/or go somewhere they think a Tournament bid is likely. Did we take him knowing he'd be the last guy off the bench? Did we think he was better than he is? I just don't see where this decision was made, as there appears to be no mutual benefit.

With the open scholarship and 1 year grad transfer available, my thought is TFord knew what he was getting and trying to take best option available. We were short bigs w/ Santos having to sit for the year, Welmer out, and only having DJ, JJ, HF as bigs. One year gamble instead of holding the scholarship or taking a 4-year player.

6 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

With the open scholarship and 1 year grad transfer available, my thought is TFord knew what he was getting and trying to take best option available. We were short bigs w/ Santos having to sit for the year, Welmer out, and only having DJ, JJ, HF as bigs. One year gamble instead of holding the scholarship or taking a 4-year player.

Right, I would assume the same, and I figured Macon's NYC-area ties helped here, but was he really the best option available? There were like 800 transfers this past season. Despite his low numbers at Seton Hall - which, again, is loaded in the frontcourt, especially in his class - I figured he'd be a contributor.

Even without the situation, I think it is clear that this was probably not going to be an at large caliber team... too many new parts, there was bound to be a period of adjustment in the non-conference portion of the schedule. While the team is talented enough to put together a great performance like the VaTech game, consistency was going to be a problem. Poor free throw shooting is an issue. As good as Goodwin is going to be, there is a lot to improve upon. The rebounding and ability in the open floor are fantastic, but shooting and running a half court offense need work. Throw in the situation and how I view the rest of the season has changed drastically. The regular season is just preparation for the conference tournament. I still see a scenario where we could win the tournament, but a LOT will have to happen between now and March. Obviously getting the situation resolved before the New Year is the first place to start. The three returning will help Goodwin in the two areas he needs help, outside shooting and running a half court offense. It will free him up. Also, the return of Welmer would add much needed front court depth and allow us to space the floor better. Even with a full squad, we'll need to start jelling in February. IF all that happens, what is currently a big weakness - depth - will become a big strength during the conference tournament.

Bottom line is that on March 1, we could be in exactly the same spot we would have been even without the situation... needing to win the conference tournament. 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Even without the situation, I think it is clear that this was probably not going to be an at large caliber team... too many new parts, there was bound to be a period of adjustment in the non-conference portion of the schedule. While the team is talented enough to put together a great performance like the VaTech game, consistency was going to be a problem. Poor free throw shooting is an issue. As good as Goodwin is going to be, there is a lot to improve upon. The rebounding and ability in the open floor are fantastic, but shooting and running a half court offense need work. Throw in the situation and how I view the rest of the season has changed drastically. The regular season is just preparation for the conference tournament. I still see a scenario where we could win the tournament, but a LOT will have to happen between now and March. Obviously getting the situation resolved before the New Year is the first place to start. The three returning will help Goodwin in the two areas he needs help, outside shooting and running a half court offense. It will free him up. Also, the return of Welmer would add much needed front court depth and allow us to space the floor better. Even with a full squad, we'll need to start jelling in February. IF all that happens, what is currently a big weakness - depth - will become a big strength during the conference tournament.

Bottom line is that on March 1, we could be in exactly the same spot we would have been even without the situation... needing to win the conference tournament. 

I'm not so sure about that. With a full squad, we'd probably be 5-1 right now with one good loss and sitting in a really weak conference with a chance to do major damage there. I think this team looks totally different with the missing players on the floor.

There would be problems for sure - FT shooting, working out offensive kinks, and some other things - I just think it's a way different, better team had they been more complete from the start, and then getting Graves and Welmer online mid-season.

MattyMo213 likes this

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not so sure about that. With a full squad, we'd probably be 5-1 right now with one good loss and sitting in a really weak conference with a chance to do major damage there. I think this team looks totally different with the missing players on the floor.

There would be problems for sure - FT shooting, working out offensive kinks, and some other things - I just think it's a way different, better team had they been more complete from the start, and then getting Graves and Welmer online mid-season.

We'll never know obviously. Clearly we beat Detroit, but I just think there would've likely been a clunker or two in non-conference like last night's game against opponents we'd figure to beat. It's a lot of new parts to put together. I think there would have been some inconsistency and trying to figure out rotations. 

Western Michigan isn't a terrible team. They were picked in their preseason polls to win the MAC this year. SLU shouldn't get whipped by them at home, but all things considered it won't be a bad loss if they do what they should be able to accomplish in the MAC. 

The Detroit loss is a terrible loss though. And barring some sort of miracle the at large shots are toast. 

The good news is that the A10 appears to be fairly terrible this year so this team could still challenge for the A10 title if the team is at full strength - if the administration decides to do their job and give some clarity on the situation. 

If Aaron Hines is playing significant minutes in conference season, this team will finish 8th or so in conference. He is a black hole. Ball goes in, only comes back out to the other team. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Now that I've had time to sleep it off, a few thoughts on last night:

-The thing we counted on this team to do every game was win the rebounding battle. WMU pulled down 40 rebounds last night, SLU 28. That proves what we've been saying about this team already looking exhausted. They need reinforcements ASAP or this problem isn't going away.

-That's really the theme of the night, and of the season. Without reinforcements, we're in for another long one. I hope Welmer's getting close - we haven't talked about him much with the ongoing case of the other players - because every single addition helps at this point. If the suspended players return soon, what does that mean for Graves? Did his "suspension" happen while he was ineligible, or are we just not going to see him much if at all this season? So many questions that get more pressing and painful with each passing day.

-I feel genuinely bad for Goodwin. That kid plays hard, hates to come out, and is everything I hoped he'd be (his all-around game will show even more when we can run an offense with some shooters). I hate to see him being wasted.

-12-20 from the FT line is not going to be uncommon for this team. Get used to it. A few months ago I was looking at FT percentages at everyone's previous schools and it wasn't pretty. Our best FT shooters are the guys currently not playing.

-I said before the season we don't need to talk about Hines because he'll only be a factor if something devastating happens. Well, here we are, with our former walk-on who thinks he's Kobe playing 24 minutes per game and taking about 8 1/2 shots a game. He had a good first game, his first half against Rockhurst was good, and he was okay against VT. Otherwise, he's been brutal, just painful to watch. The offense just stops when he's out there, not that it's been exactly fluid without him.

-French's injury is the biggest concern for me. He's set to be our leading rebounder and shot blocker this season. Not only do we need bodies, he brings something to the table we need. This is potentially devastating.

Pistol, this is an extremely well thought out summary of where we are to date.  I pretty much agree with everything you stated.

I believe the mental fatigue is more of a factor than the physical fatigue.  There were numerous times when we just didn't block out allowing the Broncs easy access to the rebound.  The rebounding issue solution is not among the suspended trio.  Sure they will grab boards, but Welmer is the only addition you can look to for significant help.

Speaking of rebounding, Ford has done a slick move by having Goodwin crash the boards, rather than having him peal back to defend as most PG's would do.  He had Roby and Johnson lay back last night, letting Goodwin hit the boards.

Right now Goodwin is much better in transition than he is running the offense. But I'm not sure what our offense is right now.  There is very little flow.  It appears our offense is 15 seconds of passing around the perimeter, and then whomever has the ball either tries to dribble drive to the hoop, or takes a 3 point jump shot.  There is very little pick and roll or pick and pop going on, screening or motion offense going on. 

I too have asked the question about Graves, assuming all is resolved.  Does he get a free pass?  Of the four missing players, he is the last one I expect to make serious contributions.  He isn't a game changer for this team.

Anthony's line to date is 38 minutes, 2 free throws, no FG attempted, 3 rebounds and 2 TO's.  This is perplexing.  I dare say Gillmann could contribute more.

I am very surprised at Bess' pretty darn good FT percentage.  I wish that would translate into his jump shot.  It still seems to be missing.  He is 17% from the arc.  I think all but two or three of his baskets (besides the 2 three pointers) have been in the paint. While that is not a bad thing, he needs to work on the jumper.

Yes, if French has injured the same ankle, that does not bode well for the rest of the season.  Hopefully he recovers to play on Saturday, but that ankle may be a time bomb waiting to go off.  French has already passed Bonner, Heinrich and Yarbrough on the FR Blocks list, and how is 15th. 

31 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Western Michigan isn't a terrible team. They were picked in their preseason polls to win the MAC this year. SLU shouldn't get whipped by them at home, but all things considered it won't be a bad loss if they do what they should be able to accomplish in the MAC. 

The Detroit loss is a terrible loss though. And barring some sort of miracle the at large shots are toast. 

The good news is that the A10 appears to be fairly terrible this year so this team could still challenge for the A10 title if the team is at full strength - if the administration decides to do their job and give some clarity on the situation. 

If Aaron Hines is playing significant minutes in conference season, this team will finish 8th or so in conference. He is a black hole. Ball goes in, only comes back out to the other team. 

I said this last year also. We will not be successful with Hines playing. I sit near the bench and see Travis virtually grimace when he has to put him in . Unfortunately he is the only guard and has no other option.Frustrating for him l am sure. 

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Please don't engage the trolls.

I see an issue with Steve's system here.  Most people had already put this troll on ignore, so no one sees his posts and no one marks them as troll posts.  Therefore, he continues to be able to post.  I'm going to start showing his posts and marking them troll for this reason.

16 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

If the players are guilty, then the administration, and STLPD, just let them roam (prowl) around campus for an extra two months (and counting). In what world does that make sense. It doesn’t make it look better because we haven’t let them in the actual basketball games, which would become trivial 

For sure I keep coming back to why are we as citizens, not alumni, fans, MBM witnessing some kind of public/state action? The fact that there have been know arrests or charges (as far as we know) has always been main factoid keeping me hopeful. And the tweet even when it's text I have hard time understanding. This one does seem to be telling us he thinks he'll be cleared soon but I really have NFI. Or he might be incredibly naive. It seems like in off S# seasons we have references to seeing players on campus, class other events, but I've heard nothing on hear like Bishops in my Biology class, or any such thing. This whole thing is so hush hush. They could be in Guantanamo for all we know.