Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our regional nemesis SIUE is taking it to OVC leader Morehead St on ESPN U.  Up 4, 9 minutes left

#20 Utah State gets a 5 pt. play with 8 seconds left to take their only lead of the game in an 87-86 road victory over UNLV. USU hit a three and a foul was called on UNLV in a battle for rebounding position. Great Osobor, who went for 24 and 14, knocked down the winning FTs.

Compton likes this

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So Gates can recruit, but he can't coach.  Hmmm.

They swung and missed on their top transfer targets and then their backup plans appear to have been huge misses as they aren't getting much production from any of their transfers. Definitely missed evaluations on guys you would have had a lot of tape on. I think you could question the coaching as the team does not play sound (poor rebounding, breakdown a lot on defense, rely on a dribble heavy offense, shoot a lot of 3s despite not having any good shooters at this level, and struggle to finish in the lane due to lack of strength and athleticism), but they are essentially an average mid-major type team competing in a Power 6 conference. Whatever goodwill Gates built up in his opening season is likely to be gone at the end of this season as I am not sure where their wins come from with this group. Ultimately, a bad team that is overmatched in the SEC. Not sure how to discuss that in the context of SLU beyond both teams being fairly bad and now holding the same record, I guess Stu was asked to Tweet that so SLU fans were aware Mizzou sucks too?

18 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

They swung and missed on their top transfer targets and then their backup plans appear to have been huge misses as they aren't getting much production from any of their transfers. Definitely missed evaluations on guys you would have had a lot of tape on. I think you could question the coaching as the team does not play sound (poor rebounding, breakdown a lot on defense, rely on a dribble heavy offense, shoot a lot of 3s despite not having any good shooters at this level, and struggle to finish in the lane due to lack of strength and athleticism), but they are essentially an average mid-major type team competing in a Power 6 conference. Whatever goodwill Gates built up in his opening season is likely to be gone at the end of this season as I am not sure where their wins come from with this group. Ultimately, a bad team that is overmatched in the SEC. Not sure how to discuss that in the context of SLU beyond both teams being fairly bad and now holding the same record, I guess Stu was asked to Tweet that so SLU fans were aware Mizzou sucks too?

We can see that Mizzou 0-3 in conference.  We were close to going 0-3 to start the conference as well.  Why are the two teams struggling?  Mizzou can't score (failed to break 70 in 2 of their first 3 games) and we can't stop anybody.  At least we have the potential to offset poor defense with an injection of offense from a healthy Parker.  Mizzou's roster is set.  Sucks to be them.

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We can see that Mizzou 0-3 in conference.  We were close to going 0-3 to start the conference as well.  Why are the two teams struggling?  Mizzou can't score (failed to break 70 in 2 of their first 3 games) and we can't stop anybody.  At least we have the potential to offset poor defense with an injection of offense from a healthy Parker.  Mizzou's roster is set.  Sucks to be them.

Sucks to suck I suppose. They stink, so no need for excuses, but they are also dealing with their top two transfers either out with injury or trying to get back from injury. A Gates apologist could say maybe if those guys return the offense could get going. Although seeing Tonje try to fight thru his current injury, sadly I don’t see him being a factor this winter. Doesn’t overly matter, they missed in the transfer portal (how they needed to add two bigs and ended up with Vanover and the kid from Campbell is something else) and are going to have a tough go the rest of the way at least until they get Grill back and maybe Tonje. Gates will need to hit on some transfers this spring because while the prep class is strong, they aren’t obvious instant impact guys beyond one. Fun winter for us SLU and Mizzou fans! Check in on me every once in awhile if you don’t mind.

Interesting game at Loyola last night.  UMass played without Cross, arguably their second best player, and lost by 1.  Rambler's Alston hit a 'and one' FT with 1.1 seconds left for the win.  UMass's Cohen was pretty impressive in the post.  UMass will be a handful at their house. 

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Firing a coach mid season can be done

They’ve had 1 above .500 season since 2009. May be longer, I lost interest in looking it up more, just like the vast majority of their fans have lost interest in attending games.  Honestly, go hire Bozo the Clown to coach the rest of the season, won’t help but might make the games more entertaining.

Not that it means much, Wyoming defeated ranked Colorado State in overtime.  Could help our NET🤣

Watched Dayton utterly destroy St. Joe's on Hawk Hill last night.  First nine minutes, Hawks scoredlike 23 and were up 11.  I said no way Dayton could play at that pace and while the statement was half correct, i should have said St. Joes.  In the second part of the first half, Dayton outscored the Joey's 22 to 15 and then continued the onslaught throughout the second  half. to win going away 94 to 79.  Dayton laid 60 on them int he second half and the Joey defense looked alot like ours.  Christ Essandoko handled Holmes very well showing that an equal big man can neutralize Holmes on any give night.  Problem was nobody covered Santos and Elvis and Bennett and Cheeks.  Dayton shot 57%from the floor and another 55% from three.  And of course Dayton got 22 free throws to the Joey's 8.  

In a real surprise, Rhodey went into Foggy Bottom and just trashed Geedubya winning by 23.  A relative unknown Zek Montgomery led the Rams with 30.  The Rams held James Bishop to nine and Geedubya can't win when one of it's big three is off as he was.GW also palyed without Garrett Johnson in the front court.

Finally, VCU handled Fordham in the Bronx winning 75 to 60.  

Top four in the A10 appear to be forming .... Dayton, Richmond, VCU and Loyola.  

TheChosenOne likes this