Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that this was a game , but Utah State is now 15-1 and ranked #20 in AP Poll (1/8)?

Next year  Washington State and Oregon State join for 2 years??

I do like the idea of a scheduling alliance of A10-WCC-Washington State/Oregon State. Cut down the A10 schedule to 16 games, and allow scheduling some of these games during the conference part of the schedule could benefit everyone. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I do like the idea of a scheduling alliance of A10-WCC-Washington State/Oregon State. Cut down the A10 schedule to 16 games, and allow scheduling some of these games during the conference part of the schedule could benefit everyone. 

I thought we had this in place once but it got cancelled and not sure why

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

https://www.reuters.com/sports/basketball/santa-clara-ends-26-game-run-futility-vs-no-23-gonzaga-2024-01-12/

@Santa Clara 77 Gonzaga 76. That one was a long time in coming. SCU snaps a 26 game losing streak to the Zags, with former Bronco and NBA star Steve Nash in attendance. 

-I wonder if the Zag's NIL is good enough to get them the quality of players they are used to having

cgeldmacher likes this

3 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I wonder if the Zag's NIL is good enough to get them the quality of players they are used to having

The number of blue chippers on the Zags' roster has been cut in half since last year.  Looks like they will have to be satisfied with being a perennial top 25 team rather than a perennial top 5 team.

This has been a crazy season just look at FAU's results winning at AZ then losing to UNCC. Purdue at Nebraska (silently a pretty good team), Marquette wheels might be coming off. Houston lost their first game to an unranked Iowa St (also silently a pretty good team,  Hoiberg's former school) lot of results all over the place and not a lot of really dominate teams.  I guess you'd say KU and Purdue as the top then wide open.

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

How about SLU to the WCC

SLU couldn't go alone.  They would need at least four other programs to go with them, ideally more.  Travel would just be too expensive otherwise.

I think someone long ago should have been working to form a conference involving the WCC, some of the private members of A10 and some other midwest and east coast private schools.  You could have yourself a nice coast to coast conference with teams playing in a bunch of major media markets.

I think I mentioned this before, but agree to a semi merger of the two conferences (for basketball only) while still keeping two separate legal entities to preserve two automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.  Then have a soccer style relegation system.  Bottom four teams drop down and top four teams move up each year.  The lower conference in the arrangement still gets an automatic bid, but the upper part of the conference gets an automatic bid of its own and access to much better competition, and, therefore, much better chances at getting at-large bids.

Billikenbooster likes this

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU couldn't go alone.  They would need at least four other programs to go with them, ideally more.  Travel would just be too expensive otherwise.

I think someone long ago should have been working to form a conference involving the WCC, some of the private members of A10 and some other midwest and east coast private schools.  You could have yourself a nice coast to coast conference with teams playing in a bunch of major media markets.

I have been advocating this as well. East and West divisions - basically a merger of the best from the A-10 and WCC. I think it could be attractive to a tv network - double-headers, first game East, second game West... and then on weekends, that's when you would play teams from the other division, to avoid having to travel long distances during the week. 

It would be a unique league - coast to coast. Same thing with non-revenue sports. Primarily play teams in your geographic area (the two conferences) but sprinkle in some travel along the way. I would think the East coast schools would want some added exposure on the West coast for their alumni, and vice versa. 

We need to do something to stand out from the non-P6 pack and this would be a way to do it.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think I mentioned this before, but agree to a semi merger of the two conferences (for basketball only) while still keeping two separate legal entities to preserve two automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.  Then have a soccer style relegation system.  Bottom four teams drop down and top four teams move up each year.  The lower conference in the arrangement still gets an automatic bid, but the upper part of the conference gets an automatic bid of its own and access to much better competition, and, therefore, much better chances at getting at-large bids.

That’s not a bad idea, but what are the implications across all sports?  Would you have to reshuffle all sports to accommodate every relegation/promotion based only upon MBB? Or just move the MBB teams using an “affiliation” status if one has to go to the other conference: would there be any value to doing this for other sports?  If you are the AD of any of the schools, you still have to care for all the sports.

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That’s not a bad idea, but what are the implications across all sports?  Would you have to reshuffle all sports to accommodate every relegation/promotion based only upon MBB? Or just move the MBB teams using an “affiliation” status if one has to go to the other conference: would there be any value to doing this for other sports?  If you are the AD of any of the schools, you still have to care for all the sports.

Like I said, this should be for basketball only.  There are many schools that have one of their sports teams in a different conference than all of the others.  This concept should be basketball only.  Heck, if it works out, we could move our other sports to the Missouri Valley to save on costs.

47 minutes ago, ACE said:

I have been advocating this as well. East and West divisions - basically a merger of the best from the A-10 and WCC. I think it could be attractive to a tv network - double-headers, first game East, second game West... and then on weekends, that's when you would play teams from the other division, to avoid having to travel long distances during the week. 

It would be a unique league - coast to coast. Same thing with non-revenue sports. Primarily play teams in your geographic area (the two conferences) but sprinkle in some travel along the way. I would think the East coast schools would want some added exposure on the West coast for their alumni, and vice versa. 

We need to do something to stand out from the non-P6 pack and this would be a way to do it.

Would absolutely love this. What teams would make the cut? Do it right and you cover 3 of the 4 top tv markets and at least 11 of the top 30. Pull Drake and Belmont from the Valley as well and we've got something cookin'

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Like I said, this should be for basketball only.  There are many schools that have one of their sports teams in a different conference than all of the others.  This concept should be basketball only.  Heck, if it works out, we could move our other sports to the Missouri Valley to save on costs.

Usually affiliating with a different conference is done only if the conference you are in doesn’t sponsor a championship in a sport that you play. Example: SIUE joined the OVC in 2008, but men’s soccer was not an OVC sport, so they were an affiliate member of the MVC for that sport only. But, when the OVC decided to sponsor a men’s soccer championship starting last fall, they had to move to the OVC. I don’t think your idea is bad at all, but it requires a lot of people to reassess what a conference is.  I’ve thought that the big conferences should do this, belonging to one conference for football, another one for basketball (men’s and women’s), whatever gets more money on rights fees, which would be negotiated seperately for each, and then put all other sports in whatever local conference is closest. That way they maximize money coming in, and minimize expenses (and wear and tear on athletes in non-revenue sports due to travel). 

I do like the idea of relegation/promotion in the NCAA, but I’m not sure many of the existing people in the sport would. A couple of conferences working together could make it work, but I’m not sure how the payouts for NCAA appearances work out. I’m sure there would be a formula that hopefully everyone could agree on with who gets what, but as we see sometimes that doesn’t work out in our current world either.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Would absolutely love this. What teams would make the cut? Do it right and you cover 3 of the 4 top tv markets and at least 11 of the top 30. Pull Drake and Belmont from the Valley as well and we've got something cookin'

Why should WCC teams want to face a team currently ranked around the 200 mark, with no at-large bid for the past decade? That plays in a conference that currently has roughly the same rating as Mo Valley?

11 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Why should WCC teams want to face a team currently ranked around the 200 mark, with no at-large bid for the past decade? That plays in a conference that currently has roughly the same rating as Mo Valley?

Sad but true