Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Quality Is Job 1

Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Recommended Posts

D.J. Gordon announced his top 6:

 

VCU, Providence, Pitt, Penn State, Minnesota, Iowa. He's a big get for any of those six.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Local kid Lamontay Daugherty may be one of our best big men options at this point. He's only 6'7 but considering we've only had one all-conference player in the last 25 years taller than that, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

 

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-from what I saw last season, Daugherty's game needed to improve to be a SLU level player, he has the body and certainly the athletic ability, just needs to be a better bball player which he may have become

Only saw him a couple times but I agree with both @3star_recruit and @Cowboy.   He has potential.  I could see him filling a role.

 

I see Fletcher and Russell have been added to the Ramey fall league.  Lot of talent overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, mdscott24 said:

I wouldn't get too worked up about this guy committing KState. Is he really going to play ahead of Jimmerson these next few years? If Jimmerson is what Ford says he is, this guy is looking out for playing time. 

md

Excellent post.   Keep them coming and don't be put off by the others.   They mean well but you will soon find many have a hard on for local players which skew their opinions.   And even when an excellent poster like Roy says: you haven't seen Luke have you? - just respond that with the truth -- no, I haven't -- just like you Roy have not seen Gibson Jimerson play either.   

Funny little facts that you won't always find on this Board:   Gibson Jimerson chose SLU over K-State.   Yes.  That's right.   Gibson Jimerson chose Coach Ford and SLU over the great Bruce Weber and K-State.    You know, Bruce Weber, the same guy who ran the Illini into the ground after receiving a gift of a well stocked program thanks to Bill Self.  You know, the same guy who now has teamed up with fellow former SIUC head coach Chris Lowery (the guy who drove SIUC into the ground after being handed a successful and stocked program as well) and b/c they signed Kasubke they now own St. Louis recruiting? because why?   Because they landed Sneed?   And now Luke Kasubke?   Please.   

Nothing against Luke Kasubke who is no doubt a fine player and fine kid, but Luke is coming right out of high school where Gibson has had a year of prep school under his belt and now will have a year of A10 ball under his belt.   Very hard for a true freshman to overtake an experienced player.

And Gibson is only a shooter?  Not a complete player?   Where's your facts and proof behind such a statement?   Please.  

And our current Freshmen are not "bridge" players?   This is a pure rebuilding year?   Ford's recruiting momentum may be stalled?  Really?

Hey.   Last time I checked, we, he had no Seniors (until transfer Weaver), we likely have only 2 open scholarships while losing only 1 player, and we have young depth in by signing Yuri, Hargrove, Jimerson, Bell and Diarra - no wonder it will be tough to sign a Freshman with such young depth as recruits want playing time -- not much immediate playing available.   To me, French, Goodwin and Perkins will take us to the Tourney this year and/or next year and our bridge players are this year's Frosh who will take us to the Tourney thereafter.

Sorry but with our 2 available scholarships, I would prefer landing another PG/combo guard and a forward with an eye of replacing French - not another Jimerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

 

md

Excellent post.   Keep them coming and don't be put off by the others.   They mean well but you will soon find many have a hard on for local players which skew their opinions.   And even when an excellent poster like Roy says: you haven't seen Luke have you? - just respond that with the truth -- no, I haven't -- just like you Roy have not seen Gibson Jimerson play either.   

Funny little facts that you won't always find on this Board:   Gibson Jimerson chose SLU over K-State.   Yes.  That's right.   Gibson Jimerson chose Coach Ford and SLU over the great Bruce Weber and K-State.    You know, Bruce Weber, the same guy who ran the Illini into the ground after receiving a gift of a well stocked program thanks to Bill Self.  You know, the same guy who now has teamed up with fellow former SIUC head coach Chris Lowery (the guy who drove SIUC into the ground after being handed a successful and stocked program as well) and b/c they signed Kasubke they now own St. Louis recruiting? because why?   Because they landed Sneed?   And now Luke Kasubke?   Please.   

Nothing against Luke Kasubke who is no doubt a fine player and fine kid, but Luke is coming right out of high school where Gibson has had a year of prep school under his belt and now will have a year of A10 ball under his belt.   Very hard for a true freshman to overtake an experienced player.

And Gibson is only a shooter?  Not a complete player?   Where's your facts and proof behind such a statement?   Please.  

And our current Freshmen are not "bridge" players?   This is a pure rebuilding year?   Ford's recruiting momentum may be stalled?  Really?

Hey.   Last time I checked, we, he had no Seniors (until transfer Weaver), we likely have only 2 open scholarships while losing only 1 player, and we have young depth in by signing Yuri, Hargrove, Jimerson, Bell and Diarra - no wonder it will be tough to sign a Freshman with such young depth as recruits want playing time -- not much immediate playing available.   To me, French, Goodwin and Perkins will take us to the Tourney this year and/or next year and our bridge players are this year's Frosh who will take us to the Tourney thereafter.

Sorry but with our 2 available scholarships, I would prefer landing another PG/combo guard and a forward with an eye of replacing French - not another Jimerson.

Thanks for the post. I was just going off of what Ford said about GJ, that he's a complete and effective offensive player and will log a lot of minutes as a fresh. I'm excited about what this bunch can do and look forward to following them. Been a SLU fan ever since I was a kid in the late 70s watching David Burns and Kelvin Henderson. Can't wait for the season to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when we brought Darren Clarke in and some brilliant mind b*tched about rooting for "that f*cker" from Minnesota over a local product.  Interesting juxtaposition.  Drew Deiner was another 'can't miss' distance gunner.  Diener shot 40% for his career but I doubt anyone mentions his shooting from distance in the same breath as Claggett, Highmark and Waldman. 

Not taking a side; content to watch it all unfold. I'm glad to have Jimerson.  I think from an overall team aspect Kasubke would have been a good add.  But counting on suppostions as absolutes is a futile exercise.  Show me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I remember when we brought Darren Clarke in and some brilliant mind b*tched about rooting for "that f*cker" from Minnesota over a local product.  Interesting juxtaposition.  Drew Deiner was another 'can't miss' distance gunner.  Diener shot 40% for his career but I doubt anyone mentions his shooting from distance in the same breath as Claggett, Highmark and Waldman. 

Not taking a side; content to watch it all unfold. I'm glad to have Jimerson.  I think from an overall team aspect Kasubke would have been a good add.  But counting on suppostions as absolutes is a futile exercise.  Show me.

Jason Edwin also shot over 40% from three for his college career and right around that at SLU. Was athletic and had decent handles. Used to light it up in practice. But only had one year where he averaged more than 10 pts, his senior year at Kent State. I could compile a list of disappointing Billikens that's as long as the list in my All-Conference team thread.

Even at the high mid-major level, you're playing against the top 2% of basketball players in the country. The margin for error is slim. What looks good on paper or in practice doesn't always pan out in real life. If more than half of a roster lives up to expectations, you're doing pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I remember when we brought Darren Clarke in and some brilliant mind b*tched about rooting for "that f*cker" from Minnesota over a local product. 

The local product was Ahearn, who would've been nice to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

 

md

Excellent post.   Keep them coming and don't be put off by the others.   They mean well but you will soon find many have a hard on for local players which skew their opinions.   And even when an excellent poster like Roy says: you haven't seen Luke have you? - just respond that with the truth -- no, I haven't -- just like you Roy have not seen Gibson Jimerson play either.   

Funny little facts that you won't always find on this Board:   Gibson Jimerson chose SLU over K-State.   Yes.  That's right.   Gibson Jimerson chose Coach Ford and SLU over the great Bruce Weber and K-State.    You know, Bruce Weber, the same guy who ran the Illini into the ground after receiving a gift of a well stocked program thanks to Bill Self.  You know, the same guy who now has teamed up with fellow former SIUC head coach Chris Lowery (the guy who drove SIUC into the ground after being handed a successful and stocked program as well) and b/c they signed Kasubke they now own St. Louis recruiting? because why?   Because they landed Sneed?   And now Luke Kasubke?   Please.   

Nothing against Luke Kasubke who is no doubt a fine player and fine kid, but Luke is coming right out of high school where Gibson has had a year of prep school under his belt and now will have a year of A10 ball under his belt.   Very hard for a true freshman to overtake an experienced player.

And Gibson is only a shooter?  Not a complete player?   Where's your facts and proof behind such a statement?   Please.  

And our current Freshmen are not "bridge" players?   This is a pure rebuilding year?   Ford's recruiting momentum may be stalled?  Really?

Hey.   Last time I checked, we, he had no Seniors (until transfer Weaver), we likely have only 2 open scholarships while losing only 1 player, and we have young depth in by signing Yuri, Hargrove, Jimerson, Bell and Diarra - no wonder it will be tough to sign a Freshman with such young depth as recruits want playing time -- not much immediate playing available.   To me, French, Goodwin and Perkins will take us to the Tourney this year and/or next year and our bridge players are this year's Frosh who will take us to the Tourney thereafter.

Sorry but with our 2 available scholarships, I would prefer landing another PG/combo guard and a forward with an eye of replacing French - not another Jimerson.

Excellent post Clock Tower.

I really want local great local players however if they don’t want to go to SLU then a great player that is not local is the next best thing instead of wasting a scholarship on a marginal local player.

How you would like to use the two available scholarships is exactly how I hope they are used too.

I also agree that French, Goodwin, and Perkins will take SLU back to the big dance with a lot of help from Weaver, Thatch. Collins, Hargrove, Jimerson, and Bell.

I think coach Weber has done a good job at KSU and is a tough competitor for the same recruits that SLU is recruiting.  Coach Ford staying around and annual trips to the big dance will put SLU at a big advantage for the great local players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

 

md

Excellent post.   Keep them coming and don't be put off by the others.   They mean well but you will soon find many have a hard on for local players which skew their opinions.   And even when an excellent poster like Roy says: you haven't seen Luke have you? - just respond that with the truth -- no, I haven't -- just like you Roy have not seen Gibson Jimerson play either.   

Funny little facts that you won't always find on this Board:   Gibson Jimerson chose SLU over K-State.   Yes.  That's right.   Gibson Jimerson chose Coach Ford and SLU over the great Bruce Weber and K-State.    You know, Bruce Weber, the same guy who ran the Illini into the ground after receiving a gift of a well stocked program thanks to Bill Self.  You know, the same guy who now has teamed up with fellow former SIUC head coach Chris Lowery (the guy who drove SIUC into the ground after being handed a successful and stocked program as well) and b/c they signed Kasubke they now own St. Louis recruiting? because why?   Because they landed Sneed?   And now Luke Kasubke?   Please.   

Nothing against Luke Kasubke who is no doubt a fine player and fine kid, but Luke is coming right out of high school where Gibson has had a year of prep school under his belt and now will have a year of A10 ball under his belt.   Very hard for a true freshman to overtake an experienced player.

And Gibson is only a shooter?  Not a complete player?   Where's your facts and proof behind such a statement?   Please.  

And our current Freshmen are not "bridge" players?   This is a pure rebuilding year?   Ford's recruiting momentum may be stalled?  Really?

Hey.   Last time I checked, we, he had no Seniors (until transfer Weaver), we likely have only 2 open scholarships while losing only 1 player, and we have young depth in by signing Yuri, Hargrove, Jimerson, Bell and Diarra - no wonder it will be tough to sign a Freshman with such young depth as recruits want playing time -- not much immediate playing available.   To me, French, Goodwin and Perkins will take us to the Tourney this year and/or next year and our bridge players are this year's Frosh who will take us to the Tourney thereafter.

Sorry but with our 2 available scholarships, I would prefer landing another PG/combo guard and a forward with an eye of replacing French - not another Jimerson.

It is great that we got Jimerson, but you need more that one shooter. That is why the staff spent a large part of the summer trying to find one on the grad transfer market.

Weber didn't run the Illini into the ground.  He won 68% of his games in nine seasons.  That is tied for the third best winning percentage ever with the Illini.  He actually won games at a higher rate at Illinois than he did at SIU and has at KSU. He want to the dance six times there.  Illini fans just became insane in their expectations after Bill Self.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, brianstl said:

She won for straight state titles in high school and then four straight NCAA titles.  A ring for every finger. She's a boss.

Probably doesn't allow fuoking losers to come to dinner at her table in her house.

Amy is a total fuokrip badass, is my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

*Creepy Post Alert*

This is (going to be ) a very tall family. I probably fall between the youngest  boy and the dog in terms of height. Let's get Andrew to commit next year and then his 2 brothers down the road.

 

Amy Albers Laczkowski

 

Oh, just saw this.  Of course she's a smokeshow, too.

Sign this kid, sounds like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Probably doesn't allow fuoking losers to come to dinner at her table in her house.

Amy is a total fuokrip badass, is my guess.

I totally expect her progeny to at least make one all-American team, a couple academic all-American teams and win a national title or two before going on to cure cancer after his NBA career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Oh, just saw this.  Of course she's a smokeshow, too.

Sign this kid, sounds like!

Yeah I posted that pic under the guise of basketball recruiting interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It is great that we got Jimerson, but you need more that one shooter. That is why the staff spent a large part of the summer trying to find one on the grad transfer market.

Weber didn't run the Illini into the ground.  He won 68% of his games in nine seasons.  That is tied for the third best winning percentage ever with the Illini.  He actually won games at a higher rate at Illinois than he did at SIU and has at KSU. He want to the dance six times there.  Illini fans just became insane in their expectations after Bill Self.

I am sure Illinois regrets firing Weber.  The program has not been good for a while.

The only thing I have against coach Weber is that I would have won 750 dollars If Illinois would have won that National Championship game in My companies tournament pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am sure Illinois regrets firing Weber.  The program has not been good for a while.

The only thing I have against coach Weber is that I would have won 750 dollars If Illinois would have won that National Championship game in My companies tournament pool.

Weber did great with Self's recruits and was just ok afterwards.  In his last 5 seasons at Illinois he only made the NCAAs twice and had 2 9th place conference finishes.  From 1981 to 2007 Illinois only missed the NCAAs 5 times and then those last 5 years of Weber they missed it 3 times.

I don't think it was crazy for Illinois to fire Weber.  Hindsight being 20/20, you'd keep him over hiring Groce, but that really just means Groce was a terrible hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to 247Sports, we have an offer out to Jayden Stone. I don't see it confirmed anywhere else and it doesn't have a date, either, but Michael Wilson and the SLU Men's Basketball Twitter accounts just started following him. I'm tentatively putting him out there as an offered player in 2020 - at the very least, we're interested. He's a 4-star player who just took OVs to Auburn and Michigan State. He doesn't have an obscene number of offers but we do seem to be arriving late to the party, if we're indeed getting involved here. I hope I'm wrong, though, because he can really play.

Jayden Stone - SG, 6-3, 175 - Perth, Australia (Sunrise Christian Academy, KS) - AAU: Nightrydas Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @JaydenSballin
Offers: Saint Louis, Creighton, Georgetown, Louisville, Illinois, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Oregon, Tulane, UNLV, St. Mary's, Murray State, Rice, Albany.

Interest: VCU, Xavier, Butler, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Arizona, Stanford, California, Cincinnati, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Bradley, Tennessee-Martin, Buffalo, Toledo, Old Dominion, Charlotte, UAB, Samford, Troy, Louisiana-Monroe, Little Rock, UC-Riverside, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Grambling State, Alabama A&M.

Latest News: Stone took official visits to Auburn and Michigan State. (9/6/19)

Scouting Report: Stone is a highly skilled combo guard with elite scoring ability. He can shoot it with range and has a smooth, consistent stroke. He handles the ball well and is unfazed by defenders playing him tight, so he gets to the rim or pulls up from anywhere. He has a narrow frame and a ton of bounce. He's a tough, composed, smart, crafty all-around player. Stone transferred to Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas from Sacred Heart in Alabama, which he attended after Central Park Christian (AL) closed. He is originally from Australia. Rankings: Rivals - 120, Prep Hoops - 56, 247Sports - 160, 247Sports Composite - 101, Future150 - 74, ESPN - 73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting offer. Late to the game and a decent amount of offers/interest from P5 schools. Already took 2 official visits.  It appears he's dropped quite a bit on the Rivals rankings but still in the top 120. Rivals forecast thinks he'll sign with Auburn. Curious what the thought process is on this offer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Interesting offer. Late to the game and a decent amount of offers/interest from P5 schools. Already took 2 official visits.  It appears he's dropped quite a bit on the Rivals rankings but still in the top 120. Rivals forecast thinks he'll sign with Auburn. Curious what the thought process is on this offer....

We have a coaching staff spot open now... sunrise a good basketball school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Interesting offer. Late to the game and a decent amount of offers/interest from P5 schools. Already took 2 official visits.  It appears he's dropped quite a bit on the Rivals rankings but still in the top 120. Rivals forecast thinks he'll sign with Auburn. Curious what the thought process is on this offer....

The Jayden Stone offer is over a year old before he got all the high major offers. He ain't coming here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Jayden Stone offer is over a year old before he got all the high major offers. He ain't coming here.

 

Thanks. I figured it was old but hadn't found it yet.

Weird that they just started following him on Twitter, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks. I figured it was old but hadn't found it yet.

Weird that they just started following him on Twitter, though.

Just checked his AAU stats and looks like he struggled a bit from three.  Solid from 2 and the line though. His official visits to Michigan St and Auburn were back in June and did not result in a commitment. And playing at Sunrise Christian allows our staff to fly there in an hour. Pistol, you may be on to something ...

Wouldn't be the first time we were able to slide in and get a recruit after a slightly disappointing summer. That's how the prior coaching staff got Davell Roby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Jayden Stone offer is over a year old before he got all the high major offers. He ain't coming here.

 

I actually think there is smoke here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Just checked his AAU stats and looks like he struggled a bit from three.  Solid from 2 and the line though. His official visits to Michigan St and Auburn were back in June and did not result in a commitment. And playing at Sunrise Christian allows our staff to fly there in an hour. Pistol, you may be on to something ...

Wouldn't be the first time we were able to slide in and get a recruit after a slightly disappointing summer. That's how the prior coaching staff got Davell Roby.

He broke out the year before with Team Carroll (Adidas Gauntlet), and I had seen where we offered Dallas Howell (2020, missed this whole AAU season with a leg injury) and Trinity Bell (2021, played in the Larry Hughes Elite Camp in STL last month), but I missed our offer to him at the time. Then he came over to Nightrydas Elite on the Nike EYBL circuit this season and hasn't had as much activity. We have offers out to other players in that Florida-based program, too. I wanted to throw his bio together and then dig a little more, but it looks like his numbers were indeed down and he doesn't have any new offers since April. His rankings have also slid dramatically. He was in the top 50 in a few lists at one point, and now those have him in the 100-160 range.

He might be banking on a big senior year at Sunrise and being a big target in the spring, in a year when fall commitments are way up. Regardless, if we're getting involved again, it makes more sense to me now than it did before I started looking more closely at dates and numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I actually think there is smoke here.

Agreed. Hard to see Travis offering this late if he didn’t feel they had a good chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...