Welcome to SLU, Ty Graves!

jimbofive

43 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

For anyone worried about depth next year, we are starting to look like a loaded team.  It is amazing how good T Ford has done in 9 months(?).  Welcome to SLU Ty Graves.

Agreed. Now will have 6 new faces for conference play and I'd be surprised if its not 7 or 8 by the time its all said and done. Welcome to SLU Ty!

Getting Graves is a huge get for us.   Judging by the video posted of Ty, he reminds me of Marque.   Explosive first step.   He has more God given raw talent than anyone on our roster this season.

So now it appears we have 6 players.   Get two more at that level and we might be knocking on the 20 win door for next year.   

Can't say enough good about the recruiting results by Ford.   Saint Louis University has never seen anything like that in the past.

Graves is a unique player. I'm not sure SLU has had a guy who looks like him in a long time, if ever. Marque is an interesting comparison; he had a couple inches on Graves and a different body type, but I see what you mean about the explosive step. He should be a fun addition to the backcourt. There's no question we needed the depth, another guy who can handle it and shoot it a bit.

He's coming to campus pretty quickly, so assuming no one else transfers, we'd be done for the 2017 class and the scholarship player roster looks like this:

Goodwin-Graves-Bishop-Roby-Henriquez-Moore

Foreman-French-Johnson-Welmer-Bess

Gillmann-Neufeld

I find it hard to believe we're done with transfers, though. Seems like something may be up with Bishop and I'd be shocked to see Neufeld return, possibly 1-2 more, as well.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gillmann-Neufeld

Goodwin-Graves-Bishop-Roby-Henriquez-Moore :D

Foreman-French-Johnson-Welmer-Bess :D

Gillmann-Neufeld :angry:

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Graves is a unique player. I'm not sure SLU has had a guy who looks like him in a long time, if ever. Marque is an interesting comparison; he had a couple inches on Graves and a different body type, but I see what you mean about the explosive step. He should be a fun addition to the backcourt. There's no question we needed the depth, another guy who can handle it and shoot it a bit.

He's coming to campus pretty quickly, so assuming no one else transfers, we'd be done for the 2017 class and the scholarship player roster looks like this:

Gillmann-Neufeld

I find it hard to believe we're done with transfers, though. Seems like something may be up with Bishop and I'd be shocked to see Neufeld return, possibly 1-2 more, as well.

Except for size, I don't see the Marquee comparison. Graves shoots better by the looks of his video (though of course it isn't proven yet) He also gets much more elevation on his shot. His handles are better and flashier than Marquee as is his passing. Marquee was strong for his size, not flashy at all, just more of a workman like attitude. He could shoot if he was open, but his game was more just strong to the hole and finishing. Nothing flashy, he just got the job done.

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

3 whole years left 

No. He can begin playing once the fall semester next year ends, and then will have 2 whole years left. NCAA doesn't count scholarships by semester.

If he had stayed at BC this entire season and then transferred, he'd have 3 whole years left. If he redshirted after he became eligible next season, he have 3 years. 

39 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Except for size, I don't see the Marquee comparison. Graves shoots better by the looks of his video (though of course it isn't proven yet) He also gets much more elevation on his shot. His handles are better and flashier than Marquee as is his passing. Marquee was strong for his size, not flashy at all, just more of a workman like attitude. He could shoot if he was open, but his game was more just strong to the hole and finishing. Nothing flashy, he just got the job done.

We don't get flashy, explosive long range shooters at SLU which is why it's hard to come up with a comparison. Those are the kids who used to kill us when Charlotte and UAB were on the schedule.

7 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

No. He can begin playing once the fall semester next year ends, and then will have 2 whole years left. NCAA doesn't count scholarships by semester.

If he had stayed at BC this entire season and then transferred, he'd have 3 whole years left. If he redshirted after he became eligible next season, he have 3 years. 

so he just wasted an entire year of eligibility? what am i missing here?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Gillmann-Neufeld

Why do you say this about Bishop?  They said his sprain is worse then at first thought.  If something was up he would have had to announce his transfer now.  He is staying is my guess at least to the end of the year which is maybe what you are saying also.

28 minutes ago, almaman said:

Great. So he starts January of next season and at end of that season have 2 whole years left?

22 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

3 whole years left 

7 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

He can begin playing after the first semester is complete — mid-December.  He has three years of eligibility left, but in 2017-18 he will miss the first 10 games, or so.  Yes, he wasted about a year of playing time.

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

He can begin playing after the first semester is complete — mid-December.  He has three years of eligibility left, but in 2017-18 he will miss the first 10 games, or so.  Yes, he wasted about a year of playing time.

OR he can redshirt next season and still have 3.

18 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Yep, more or less. It's goofy, but that's the rule. Play any part of a season, it counts for the whole year. Keith Carter lost a whole year of eligibility because Crews played him in a few games in November and December while he was injured. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Marquee was very quick. While he wasn't much of a 3 point shooter, he had a great mid range jump shot when he would start to drive then stop on a dime popping off an 8 to 10 footer in a flash. If this guy is close to Marguee in talent he will be a great addition.

30 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why do you say this about Bishop?  They said his sprain is worse then at first thought.  If something was up he would have had to announce his transfer now.  He is staying is my guess at least to the end of the year which is maybe what you are saying also.

I don't know, the "worse than thought" injury lines up with the semester break. Maybe I'm just cynical.