Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

remember that clip of the Dr. being interviewed by a news outlet... CNBC??? when we were good.... he wants to be the face of a winner. Poor mans steve balmer or some ######. BRING ONE HOME

I think Dr. Chaifetz, if involved, wants to do something big. Something that makes people say "wow"

He seems to have that attitude, from my (basically nonexistent) perspective.

I hope he is involved. I want this program to be back on the map by next month. Give Goodwin a reason to stay home. Not for nostalgia, but because we can WIN!!!

I have a name. Don't know if it has been mentioned, but should be at the top of any list: Jerrod Haase at UAB. Has done a great job. Played and was an assistant at KU. Probably can recruit our area. Strong pedigree. Would be a great pickup.

SLU would be a lateral move. I doubt he'd have much interest unless it was a big raise in pay. Even then he'd probably want to hold out for a better job that paid big bucks.

SLU would be a lateral move. I doubt he'd have much interest unless it was a big raise in pay. Even then he'd probably want to hold out for a better job that paid big bucks.

Hardly a lateral move. CUSA is currently the 21st best conference according to Pomeroy. A-10 is almost always 7th or 8th. Better facilities, support etc. here. Don't forget this is the athletic dept. that shut down football and then brought it back.

He may well be looking for a Power 5 job but SLU is still a significant step up from UAB.

He's already associate head coach at a program that likely pays more to do it. We'd probably have to make him HC to see him come back.

Another note: his family moved back to Nebraska for Avery's health care, and he's still in New Mexico coaching. That can't last forever. At SLU, he's down the street from two world-class children's hospitals. Not that we make our hiring decision based on that; just saying it'd work out well from that angle.

That was a big factor for Chris Lowery when he was at Carbondale - in fact - he and his wife drove to STL two or three times a week for their child's care at Barnes. I can remember him saying that at a Bradley Chiefs Club luncheon back during his tenure at Southern. CH looks like a family-first type of guy. Kudos.

hearing pj carlesimo.... gonna be interesting

Lattrell Spreewell says this guy is a choke artist.

What is the timeframe we are looking at here? I was saying yesterday that I think within a week a coach will be announced, but after giving that more thought, I don't know if that is feasible unless we hire someone that isn't currently coaching NCAA basketball. If we are waiting for someone to get canned from their current NCAA position, do we have to wait till the tourney is over if this coach is canned before the tourney starts? Is there protocol or rules around this? This hire needs to happen fast and my gut feeling is that SLU has been talking to others outside of the NCAA so I guess it is possible we hire outside...or they wait it out and see what other potential candidates are tossed to the curb after the year is over.

Canadian PM Justin Trudeau for SLU Coach- Trudeau would be the best import to St. Louis from Montreal since Jacques Plante. Trudeau would be even better than Lavin because Trudeau could hardly be branded a "retread."

Trudeau for the Billikens. Oui!

My wife would be more interested in going to games under this scenario.

i want someone who can develop an Australian pipeline. Australia is the next big thing in hoops... They should be a top 3 team in the world after the US and Spain here soon.

I want someone to open the Tanland pipeline. Dan Majerle is the man for that job.

Brad Underwood, Bryce Drew, Chris Beard, Anthony Grant, Dana Fife would be the first 5 guys I'd call.

Byrd is older and he might be harder to convince than Drew, but I think he should be among the first calls they make. One thing that might get Drew or Byrd to consider SLU this season is both lost in their conference tournament. The fact that one bad game cost them their only shot at the NCAA tournament despite what they did the rest of the year might get them to consider a program like SLU where you don't have to win the conference tournament to get a bid. That is if the money is right.