Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Wow, Kitty are you an insider or a MBM? I believe I was the first to mention Anthony Grant, back on Jan. 4, so of course I would be in favor of it! I would think Donovan would be fine with him leaving for a college HC job. And I think Durrant and Westbrook would be just fine with the loss of an assistant.

I guess none of us can deny MBM status... But I'm ok with that... I'm a tricky broad. I know a few people who are close in the program and seem to be dead on usually... This was the first time Billikens talk really fully brought me in to the conversation this season. I hope it's true. The one who said was pretty matter of fact.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistants rarely make that kind of money. A friend is the third assistant on an NBA team and isn't anywhere close to that.

Grant is probably making close to that amount in OKC. Salaries for NBA assistants have been trending up at a rapid rate for the last few seasons. The reduction in monthly buyout payments from Alabama suggest that he is earning $800,000 in basketball related income.

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/08/anthony_grant_buyout_alabama_2015.html

I think what SLU will have to pay Grant to accept the job will have to be at least $1.2 million and probably north of that. That is because no matter what he does for the next 3 seasons he will make $1 million per from his Alabama buyout.

Grant did very little at Alabama with an incredible athletic budget.

The SEC is a mediocre P5 basketball league outside of Kentucky - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Tenn... when is the last time any of those programs had sustained success? A lot of coaches go fail in that league. One of the few guys who was able to build success at one of these football factory schools was Billy D - Grant was an assistant for him for 10 years and Donovan thought enough of him to bring him to the NBA. Adding the NBA (even for just a year) to his resume would be a plus. He was a good player at Dayton, so should have a sense of how to do well at a program like SLU. Also, he won conference titles all three years he was at VCU = "mid major" success. And looking back at his record at Bama, it wasn't that bad. He was over .500 in the SEC, really only one bad year. He made the Big Dance once, and the NIT three times, including the Finals once. Even in his final season, he made the NIT.

Grant did very little at Alabama with an incredible athletic budget.

Yeah he would be a decent candidate (way better than Bruce Weber) but I'm not sure I understand all the love he is getting on here. Especially not if you have to break the bank to get him.

Whoever it is it needs to be someone with a proven recruiting record and hopefully with strong recruiting ties to the general area, whether a current assistant or a head coach.

The SEC is a mediocre P5 basketball league outside of Kentucky - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Tenn... when is the last time any of those programs had sustained success? A lot of coaches go fail in that league. One of the few guys who was able to build success at one of these football factory schools was Billy D - Grant was an assistant for him for 10 years and Donovan thought enough of him to bring him to the NBA. Adding the NBA (even for just a year) to his resume would be a plus. He was a good player at Dayton, so should have a sense of how to do well at a program like SLU. Also, he won conference titles all three years he was at VCU = "mid major" success. And looking back at his record at Bama, it wasn't that bad. He was over .500 in the SEC, really only one bad year. He made the Big Dance once, and the NIT three times, including the Finals once. Even in his final season, he made the NIT.

Yeah he was very successful at VCU, but he did have 2 guys on his roster who were 1st round NBA picks. Wonder if he recruited them?

Maybe he would do well again at a school with no football where basketball takes precedence.

Yeah he would be a decent candidate (way better than Bruce Weber) but I'm not sure I understand all the love he is getting on here. Especially not if you have to break the bank to get him.

Whoever it is it needs to be someone with a proven recruiting record and hopefully with strong recruiting ties to the general area, whether a current assistant or a head coach.

Maynor was recruited by Capel. Grant recruited Larry Sanders and Bradford Burgress.

Why would Donovan be okay with him leaving before the season ended?

Donovan probably knows what Grant would like to do with his career. If Grant wants to return to college coaching, that might be what has to happen. Never having been a coach in either situation, I can't say for sure, but I would think that prepping for the CFB playoff would be more conducive to assembling a staff and recruiting than an NBA schedule would be.

Also, the coach of the Thunder's D-League team could slide in to Grant's spot once the D-League season ends.

I don't follow the NBA enough to know how often NBA assistants leave for college jobs, and the timeline for when they start on the new job.

Also, here's an interesting little fact that probably means nothing, but I'll bring it up anyway. Anthony Grant played at Dayton from 1983-1987. SLU President Fred Pestello started at Dayton as a sociology professor in 1984. Just makes me wonder if there were any interactions between the two, or if Pestello remembers Grant.

Donovan probably knows what Grant would like to do with his career. If Grant wants to return to college coaching, that might be what has to happen. Never having been a coach in either situation, I can't say for sure, but I would think that prepping for the CFB playoff would be more conducive to assembling a staff and recruiting than an NBA schedule would be.

Also, the coach of the Thunder's D-League team could slide in to Grant's spot once the D-League season ends.

I don't follow the NBA enough to know how often NBA assistants leave for college jobs, and the timeline for when they start on the new job.

Also, here's an interesting little fact that probably means nothing, but I'll bring it up anyway. Anthony Grant played at Dayton from 1983-1987. SLU President Fred Pestello started at Dayton as a sociology professor in 1984. Just makes me wonder if there were any interactions between the two, or if Pestello remembers Grant.

That might be the root of the rumor.

-I'll preface with this is serious as I talked to a fellow SLU fan and had to ask if they were serious as they were advocating for Justin Tatum as head coach, their take was good x and o, should know everyone in the area to recruit and a former Billiken, I could see as an assistant, but head coach might go too far and would be a year late to land at least one kid, his own

-any one have thoughts on this one?

-I'll preface with this is serious as I talked to a fellow SLU fan and had to ask if they were serious as they were advocating for Justin Tatum as head coach, their take was good x and o, should know everyone in the area to recruit and a former Billiken, I could see as an assistant, but head coach might go too far and would be a year late to land at least one kid, his own

I don't think it would happen. But what an emotional roller coaster that could provide if then younger decided to not go to Duke...

Hiring a coach of a high school program is rare. That coach would have to have some reason why we would hire him rather than someone with college coaching experience. Let me think. Is there anything he could bring to the table that would convince us to overlook his lack of experience? No . . . I'm rather sure that there is nothing that he could presently provide as an ace in the hole to convince us to bring him on board.

I'd be happy with JT as a assistant, but as the head coach? No way.

I don't think it would happen. But what an emotional roller coaster that could provide if then younger decided to not go to Duke...

He's going to Duke, i suspect because the SLU program is a disaster and disgrace currently.

Bringing Justin Tatum in after his son has committed to Duke would be the dumbest idea since hiring Crews.

Let's not even discuss that path. SLU is at minimum a top 100 program. We are not a Valley school, we should not be playing second fiddle half baked garbage. Grant is the kind of guy we need to be going after. Lavin. Drew. Real names. Stay focused on guys who can get us to the Dance.