Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard through a strong source, grant is happening.

Oh Hi all! i cant believe i was a fair weather fan this year, but I moved further away and it was easy to make it that this season did not happen.

Geez, reading Roy made me realize that nothing good happened in Billiken basketball between 1983 and 2008. Yeah, we had a couple "decent surges" but otherwise it was just crap. I must have imagined the 4 NCAA appearances, 2 NIT finals, etc. I must have imagined that one year we went 5-23 and two years later we were dancing. I must have imagined that EVERY SINGLE TIME we started a period of going to the NCAA tourney it came after a year where we had a losing record.

I get that people want to ***** about everything these days and I get that we all hate where we are right now, but this stuff about 10 years till respectability is just bunk. Get the right coach in here and within a recruiting class or two we can be decent. Stack a few of them and we are back to dancing. We aren't in 1983 playing in a crap conference with horrible facilities and crap finances. We've got a top 100 budget, top 75 facilities and a solid fanbase in a relatively large market. Hire the right guy and its a 3-4 year deal.

Oh Hi all! i cant believe i was a fair weather fan this year, but I moved further away and it was easy to make it that this season did not happen.

Anthony grant? I'd love it. I'd be surprised if he left the NBA but I hope you're right

I didn't want to look back through this thread so maybe someone has more reliable info then me but from what I can find I believe Grant makes about $800k a year. So certainly we could bump his pay a bit or at least be competitive. He's jumped around a lot the last year hopefully he'd be okay settling down for a couple years

I would take Grant, but I have two big questions. First, would he be willing to leave the NBA lifestyle and not having to deal with recruiting? Second, if he is your guy when does he actually start working at SLU? Do we have to wait until May or June to have him running the program? Can we afford to wait that long to have him take over?

I would take Grant, but I have two big questions. First, would he be willing to leave the NBA lifestyle and not having to deal with recruiting? Second, if he is your guy when does he actually start working at SLU? Do we have to wait until May or June to have him running the program? Can we afford to wait that long to have him take over?

First, Grant is only in his first season in the NBA. He's in the NBA because of Billy Donovan. He was an assistant to Billy for 10 years at Florida and had agreed to return to be an assistant after he got fired by Alabama. Billy ended up going to the OKC Thunder, so Grant followed him to OKC. If Billy was still at Florida, Grant would be at Florida. It makes me think he's not in the NBA for the lifestyle, so the recruiting thing might not be an issue.

I don't know about the timing, but he doesn't appear to be the top assistant at OKC. They have Monty Williams and Maurice Cheeks, who have NBA head coaching experience. The Thunder have several other assistants as well. My guess is that if Grant would want to take a college job, Donovan would allow him to go to the college job as soon as he wanted.

First, Grant is only in his first season in the NBA. He's in the NBA because of Billy Donovan. He was an assistant to Billy for 10 years at Florida and had agreed to return to be an assistant after he got fired by Alabama. Billy ended up going to the OKC Thunder, so Grant followed him to OKC. If Billy was still at Florida, Grant would be at Florida. It makes me think he's not in the NBA for the lifestyle, so the recruiting thing might not be an issue.

I don't know about the timing, but he doesn't appear to be the top assistant at OKC. They have Monty Williams and Maurice Cheeks, who have NBA head coaching experience. The Thunder have several other assistants as well. My guess is that if Grant would want to take a college job, Donovan would allow him to go to the college job as soon as he wanted.

I know how he got his job. I wonder if he would want to leave the NBA lifestyle after getting a taste of it. I, also, wonder if he would be willing to bail on the friend that got him that job a few weeks before the playoffs start. Kirby Smart wouldn't bail on Saban before the college football playoffs because of his friendship with Saban.

I didn't want to look back through this thread so maybe someone has more reliable info then me but from what I can find I believe Grant makes about $800k a year. So certainly we could bump his pay a bit or at least be competitive. He's jumped around a lot the last year hopefully he'd be okay settling down for a couple years

Assistants rarely make that kind of money. A friend is the third assistant on an NBA team and isn't anywhere close to that.

I, also, wonder if he would be willing to bail on the friend that got him that job a few weeks before the playoffs start. Kirby Smart wouldn't bail on Saban before the college football playoffs because of his friendship with Saban.

I don't know what would happen there. The one difference was that Smart had to prepare for 1-2 games and knew that if they went to the finals, he'd be at UGA by sometime in the second week of January. The NBA playoffs could be done for a team in April or June. I would think an NBA schedule would conflict with a college schedule that the CFB playoff did for Smart. Also, could an NBA coach talk to recruits?

Grant would be ridiculous. We could be dancing faster than any of us imagine. Doubt he will be here but god i hope names like that are being thrown around in the circles that matter. It means we wont settle for mediocrity.

I know how he got his job. I wonder if he would want to leave the NBA lifestyle after getting a taste of it. I, also, wonder if he would be willing to bail on the friend that got him that job a few weeks before the playoffs start. Kirby Smart wouldn't bail on Saban before the college football playoffs because of his friendship with Saban.

Just like Tom Herman the year before at tOSU - stayed on Urban's staff before departing to be the HC at UH.

Wow, Kitty are you an insider or a MBM? I believe I was the first to mention Anthony Grant, back on Jan. 4, so of course I would be in favor of it! I would think Donovan would be fine with him leaving for a college HC job. And I think Durrant and Westbrook would be just fine with the loss of an assistant.

A new name, I believe, Greg Heranda, Google him, HC at Farleigh Dickinson. Age 54, FD first D1 job. Took over in 2013 a program in shambles. In 3 years has them dancing. Read the North Jersey article. FD sounded just like us. Unhappy players, played lousy bb, but this guy now has them dancing. East coast guy who was an AC at Seton Hall then got some crappy HC jobs at JUCO and Div III, UMass-Lowell before FD. Rumored he may be in line for Rutgers HC per Boomer and Carton show. With his EC roots might be ideal for A10. And I imagine he can be had for $500-$600k plus incentives. Worth a look in that he took overa program that resembles our current state of mayhem and dysfunction. Just saying he deserves a look see. Can you say Jim Buerlein type or Bo Ryan.