Coaching Candidates

JMM28

My top candidates for Head Coach would be as follows

1. Rick Byrd

2. Bryce Drew

3. Anthony Grant

4. Chris Beard

5. Rick Stansbury

Byrd seems to be a Belmont lifer. He has pined for the Tennessee job before though. Is he tired of having to win his league tournament to get to the NCAAs? Him losing may be a good thing for us. You have to make a call to him and offer him big bucks. He is the closest coach to Majerus out there. His hiring would be a homerun, energize the program like when we hired Spoon. Little chance of it happening.

Drew is next. There aren't many top jobs available. Unless somebody retires there are no really good BCS jobs opening up. Offer him enough money and he could come here. Still he most likely turns us down.

As mentioned before Hiring Grant before OKC is done with their season will be difficult. That may take him out of the running. We need a coach now not in June. He'd be a solid hire though.

Dark horse is Chris Beard. as far as up and coming low major HCs he would be my choice. He will get some play at some lower level BCS schools this offseason but SLU is a better option than that.

Stansbury will get some offers probably from Ok St, maybe Memphis or another Texas school. He doesn't seem like the type to coach at SLU but you never know.

There are some Assts out there. Crutchfield has been mentioned. Other Assts of note in the Midwest region Steele from Xavier, Boals at TOSU, Lavall Jordan is constantly mentioned as a HC coaching candidate. For my money I would prefer Bacari Alexander also from Michigan or Dwayne Stephens at Mich St. I'd much rather have a HC though.

FWIW I think Chaifetz comes out of nowhere with a candidate with an NBA background.

Travis Steele would be a really good hire if they went assistant route. Great recruiter. No head coaching experience may be a downside. If Mack ever leaves XU Steele would get a long look but might not be quite ready for that level yet, especially with no HC experience.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can coaches "get experience" as a head coach without being given that opportunity? Why do some of you think SLU is too high-and-mighty to find the right head coach without seeing what he does as a head coach somewhere else? Some worthy assistant coaches don't want to be the head at lower levels, because they're confident they can do the job at the level where they are; they're waiting for a job to open up at that level. The risk at being in a place that isn't the optimal fit and tarnishing one's reputation at the desired level is too great.

SLU needs to find the right person to lead the program according to its own unique needs, and I don't think limiting the pool of candidates to those who've already been a head coach somewhere will necessarily yield the right person. Just as the school seems to need to get players who've been overlooked or underrated, it may also need to get a coach who's destined to be great but no one knows it yet. I know it's not easy, but that's why the presidents and athletics directors get paid big bucks and also have the bucks stop with them (i.e., they get terminated after repeated failures or losses).

Eddie Jordan. Nine year Head Coach in NBA. Now available. Just sayin', meets your criteria.

He doesn't meet the good coach criteria.

He was an awful NBA coach and an awful college coach. No midwest background. Absurd suggestion.

Just as the school seems to need to get players who've been overlooked or underrated, it may also need to get a coach who's destined to be great but no one knows it yet.

I completely agree, and have TOTAL confidence that Chris May won't screw this up.

l.jpg

Linc Darner at UWGB would be a great hire. He is a rising star. His team won the D-2 national championship last year and got GB in the NCAAs this year. Was a finalist for the DePaul job last time it opened up. If you are looking at assistants, TJ Otzelburger makes a ton of sense. One of the best recruiters in the country. Recruited most of Iowa State's current roster. Has been the associate head coach at ISU and Washington, under Romar. Doesn't hurt that he is a Catholic boy from Milwaukee. Both would make excellent hires.

Harriman should get an interview. Would be the 1st aus coach in d1

I'd be fine with it from a recruiting standpoint. Between him as coach, and Lisch potentially playing for Aussie national team, I think top Aussie recruits would give SLU a serious look.

Question is: Is he good enough at Xs and Os? I honestly have no clue.

Harriman should get an interview. Would be the 1st aus coach in d1

Bring Harriman back as associate head coach. Dude is bomb. Don't know if he's ready to be HC. Worth a look if we're going down the 'promote an assistant' path.

I'd be fine with it from a recruiting standpoint. Between him as coach, and Lisch potentially playing for Aussie national team, I think top Aussie recruits would give SLU a serious look.

Question is: Is he good enough at Xs and Os? I honestly have no clue.

My own take: yes, I think he is. When Majerus was sick, he filled in for a few games (I specificially remember a 20-ish-point win over Duquesne). If you couldn't see the SLU bench, you wouldn't have known Majerus was out. They played hard, crisp basketball from wire to wire. Substitutions were well-timed. Mistakes were minimal.

Having seen other assistants sub when coaches have been sick, this is not an easy thing to do.

I'd definitely interview Harriman. I've been a fan since Rick hired him. Good recruiter, great guy. Really seemed to buy into Majerus' system, and he's been promoted everywhere he's gone. There's a reason for that.

Bring Harriman back as associate head coach. Dude is bomb. Don't know if he's ready to be HC. Worth a look if we're going down the 'promote an assistant' path.

He's already associate head coach at a program that likely pays more to do it. We'd probably have to make him HC to see him come back.

Another note: his family moved back to Nebraska for Avery's health care, and he's still in New Mexico coaching. That can't last forever. At SLU, he's down the street from two world-class children's hospitals. Not that we make our hiring decision based on that; just saying it'd work out well from that angle.

I like Harriman and think he will probably be a successful head coach. I just think the program can't take a chance with someone with zero track record as a head coach. We are coming off two 21 loss seasons. We miss on this hire and we are really in Ekker land.

Actually st louis has 3 superior children's hospitals

Even better! I stand corrected (but he's more or less down the street from two - Glennon and Children's - from SLU.

I like Harriman and think he will probably be a successful head coach. I just think the program can't take a chance with someone with zero track record as a head coach. We are coming off two 21 loss seasons. We miss on this hire and we are really in Ekker land.

I don't mind taking a chance on a young, hungry, energetic guy who I believe has a complete coaching skill set. I know we've thrown some other more established names around, but I think a guy like Harriman has potential to be very good and also stay around longer. I'd love to see a longer-term coach really build a culture here.