Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I don't think it would happen. But what an emotional roller coaster that could provide if then younger decided to not go to Duke...

He's going to Duke, i suspect because the SLU program is a disaster and disgrace currently.

Bringing Justin Tatum in after his son has committed to Duke would be the dumbest idea since hiring Crews.

Let's not even discuss that path. SLU is at minimum a top 100 program. We are not a Valley school, we should not be playing second fiddle half baked garbage. Grant is the kind of guy we need to be going after. Lavin. Drew. Real names. Stay focused on guys who can get us to the Dance.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be the root of the rumor.

What if the hotter commodity of the two, Archie Miller, is poached from Dayton, thus opening the door for Grant to return to his alma mater? Then we're back to square one.

What if the hotter commodity of the two, Archie Miller, is poached from Dayton, thus opening the door for Grant to return to his alma mater? Then we're back to square one.

No word if Grant would even be coming here regardless.

Grant is however the caliber of candidates we should be pursuing.

At least you're in the first 20 rows. In yet another piece of gameday facilities management ineptitude, an average of about 0.5 balls a game make it higher than that. And that's only because they let a limited number of boys into the cheerleader ranks. (And then there are the t-shirt tosses.)

That does, by the way, provide an opening for the true purpose of this board. Anybody still have any pix of that really gorgeous cheerleader from 3-4 years ago who had an arm like Bernie Carbo and could throw into the upper deck? ;)

They need to bring back the t-shirt rocket launcher. I'm assuming one of the t-shirts took someone's eye out or knocked someone unconscious??

No word if Grant would even be coming here regardless.

Grant is however the caliber of candidates we should be pursuing.

True - lot of hypothetical situations to throw out there, that's for sure.

True - lot of hypothetical situations to throw out there, that's for sure.

I'm arguing that we should be pursuing these kinds of candidates.

I am against small time thinkers who want small time ball.

SLU will lose more money by not ponying up than we will be doing it. A successful coach will pay for himself. Much better investment than the arena was. The right coach would have been winning out of west pine. The arena should be seen more as a way to attract the right coach.

Players play, coaches coach. In the college game players come to play for thw coach. It is the most important aspect of the entire team.

Let's be willing to put up at minimum what the failed Crews is making. Lets go for a conference championship again. Take that small time, low-energy stuff out of here. This program should at least be as good as Dayton. Majerus showed us we can be as good as Xavier. We only need the will.

He's going to Duke, i suspect because the SLU program is a disaster and disgrace currently.

Bringing Justin Tatum in after his son has committed to Duke would be the dumbest idea since hiring Crews.

Let's not even discuss that path. SLU is at minimum a top 100 program. We are not a Valley school, we should not be playing second fiddle half baked garbage. Grant is the kind of guy we need to be going after. Lavin. Drew. Real names. Stay focused on guys who can get us to the Dance.

Lavin would be an awful hire. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag. I like him as a studio guy and he is a decent recruiter but he is a bad coach.

USF recently received a $15M donation from a Silicon Valley philanthropist for major renovation of War Memorial Gym, which will be at least a second such renovation.

Steve Lavin is the son of a Marin County high school coach who was an important alumnus of both St. Ignatius HS and USF. It is believed that only money separated Lavin and USF the last time.

Another possibility is longtime DeLaSalle High School Coach Frank Allocco, who just served his first year as Associate Coach at USF.

Thus, Bay Area fellow Jesuit schools Santa Clara and USF fired their coaches 2 days apart this week.

Both USF and Santa Clara are sick and tired of losing to Gonzaga and especially to smaller St. Mary's College of California.

Some good news out there is that Mizzou is keeping Andersen one extra year so that's one fewer deep pocket Power 5 school that will be paying up for a new coach.

Wonder if part of that is due to the drop off in enrollment too. Just read that Mizzou is expecting 1500 fewer freshmen and a budget deficit of $32 million. Would not be best time to go out and spend a lot on a new basketball coach.

Wonder if part of that is due to the drop off in enrollment too. Just read that Mizzou is expecting 1500 fewer freshmen and a budget deficit of $32 million. Would not be best time to go out and spend a lot on a new basketball coach.

Mizzou has structural problems and are trying to not get the ncaa back on them. They also made several failed hires in a row, which they remain on the hook for.

SLU's situation does not even compare.

The ideal fit for Tatum (aside from hiring him last summer as a validation of his coaching prowess and way to land JT) is to be an assistant under the next coach. Perhaps if SLU went with an older guy, tabbing Justin as the coach in waiting would be a decent way to have him grow with the program as it is rebuilt. I think he is a solid coach and one deserving of an assistant post for a college program, but as many have said, hiring him now would still cause a collective head shake for not hiring him last summer.

I have a friend from grade school who's step-brother's 2nd cousin has a doctor who's son's stepmom is a distant relative of the uncle of Chaifetz's college roommate who says Crews will "retire" sometime in the next 2 weeks and we'll hire a coach before mid-April.

I have a friend from grade school who's step-brother's 2nd cousin has a doctor who's son's stepmom is a distant relative of the uncle of Chaifetz's college roommate who says Crews will "retire" sometime in the next 2 weeks and we'll hire a coach before mid-April.

Coupled with Billikitty's source it's a done deal!

Lavin would be an awful hire. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag. I like him as a studio guy and he is a decent recruiter but he is a bad coach.

Lavin's teams get W's, his teams make the postseason, he can recruit, he has a name in the sport..... "Lavin would be an awful hire" is completely wrong.

Lavin's teams get W's, his teams make the postseason, he can recruit, he has a name in the sport..... "Lavin would be an awful hire" is completely wrong.

Whatever his coaching and game planning abilities, Lavin will likely bring athletes that can get us in the tourney. That is good enough for me.

If mediocrity is your goal Lavin would be great. He has a name because he is on TV. He is a good recruiter but he did nothing with some really good talent at St. Johns.