Zeke Moore - 2016 Commit

So from what everyone says, Moore has a high ceiling but his floor appears to be very low too all things considered. Is he a 6'6 Mike McCall or is he Jake Barnett with an attitude issue?

In July of 2013 or even 2014, I would have taken a chance on a kid like that. Our roster either was or appeared to be in good shape. You can risk a guy like that. Instead you have a roster that is just not very good, showed few flashes of being good, and even less signs of consistency. To me that's not the kind of roster makeup you can have to take a chance on a guy like this. If he turns out to be a 1000 point scorer and an All A10 Player, you still have to build the rest of your roster. If he turns out to be a bench guy, you just have one more spot on your roster that you have to fill.

Cool makes sense, if he turns out to be good that's not helpful cause he can't play all five spots nor fill the full roster. If he turns out to be bad he still can't play all five spots and fill the whole roster. Damn not really sure why we're trying anymore.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So from what everyone says, Moore has a high ceiling but his floor appears to be very low too all things considered. Is he a 6'6 Mike McCall or is he Jake Barnett with an attitude issue?

In July of 2013 or even 2014, I would have taken a chance on a kid like that. Our roster either was or appeared to be in good shape. You can risk a guy like that. Instead you have a roster that is just not very good, showed few flashes of being good, and even less signs of consistency. To me that's not the kind of roster makeup you can have to take a chance on a guy like this. If he turns out to be a 1000 point scorer and an All A10 Player, you still have to build the rest of your roster. If he turns out to be a bench guy, you just have one more spot on your roster that you have to fill.

Obviously if we could get a player that is guaranteed to be a high caliber player, we'd do it. Absent that, let's say you are given the choice of a player that 50% of the time will be very good and 50% of the time will never get off the bench, or you can have a player that with 100% certainty will be mediocre. This is what I think you outlined above.

If I have a really good team that needs to fill one or two small gaps, I probably go with the guy that with 100% certainty will fill that hole and hopefully contribute modest amounts to an improved team. But if I have a team with a lot of holes, and needs a significant infusion of skill, I'd be inclined to roll the dice on the kid with the big upside.

I'm curious as to why you appear to prefer the kid with more certain mediocrity in the situation we are currently in.

Obviously if we could get a player that is guaranteed to be a high caliber player, we'd do it. Absent that, let's say you are given the choice of a player that 50% of the time will be very good and 50% of the time will never get off the bench, or you can have a player that with 100% certainty will be mediocre. This is what I think you outlined above.

If I have a really good team that needs to fill one or two small gaps, I probably go with the guy that with 100% certainty will fill that hole and hopefully contribute modest amounts to an improved team. But if I have a team with a lot of holes, and needs a significant infusion of skill, I'd be inclined to roll the dice on the kid with the big upside.

I'm curious as to why you appear to prefer the kid with more certain mediocrity in the situation we are currently in.

I guess because if he busts it's another wasted recruit and if he comes through, we still suck.

Part of my problem is that I think the roster is much worse than most others

Hey Kshoe, there is absolutely nothing in life that provides a 100% certainty of anything. Come on, you are old enough to have found that out already. There is no point in saying "I probably go with the guy that with 100% certainty will fill that hole..." This is a bunch of boloney, suppose this guy comes in with a written guarantee and does not perform, what do you do, return him to store you got him at and get a replacement guaranteed player?

Everything, and I mean everything in life has some chance of going wrong somehow or somewhere. Stop criticizing Zeke in a roundabout way and pay attention to reality. If he starts playing and falls short of expectations then go ahead and criticize him, but first give him a chance will you.

Hey Kshoe, there is absolutely nothing in life that provides a 100% certainty of anything. Come on, you are old enough to have found that out already. There is no point in saying "I probably go with the guy that with 100% certainty will fill that hole..." This is a bunch of boloney, suppose this guy comes in with a written guarantee and does not perform, what do you do, return him to store you got him at and get a replacement guaranteed player?

Everything, and I mean everything in life has some chance of going wrong somehow or somewhere. Stop criticizing Zeke in a roundabout way and pay attention to reality. If he starts playing and falls short of expectations then go ahead and criticize him, but first give him a chance will you.

There is something in life that provides 100% certainty. Obviously Old Guy never went to an ADPi formal. AmIRite guys?

In my day it was a Sigma Kappa formal.

In my days it was a 2C party.

Of course, in Bonwich's day, it was the party after Easy Ed won a big game... :D

It's called a hypothetical scenario. And it should have been fairly obvious I wasn't criticizing zeke but rather defending him by pointing out that a team with a lot of needs should go for the hi upside guy rather than the more certain (heaven forbid I say 100% certain) result from a mediocre player.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I'm ready to start the party...

the party doesn't stop. do you mean that you just got back from doing coke in the bathroom, and you're ready to re-join the party, much stronger? yeah. me, too.

• 1 month later...

Did everyone see Earl Austin's tweet that Zeke is around 6'7" now?

Yep. And a recent tweet from his AAU program said he was 6'6" and growing or just above 6'6" or something like that. If tall shooters is what Crews is going for, this kid appears to fit the bill in a big way.

There is something in life that provides 100% certainty. Obviously Old Guy never went to an ADPi formal. AmIRite guys?

I dated an ADP 3 yrs; then married her for 47 & counting - did I miss something at the 3 formals I attended? Like something should have happened that didn't at other times?

I dated an ADP 3 yrs; then married her for 47 & counting - did I miss something at the 3 formals I attended? Like something should have happened that didn't at other times?

You didn't miss anything the other Old Guy must've.

Anyway, 6'7 PG/SG?!! That's something. Can we all just agree that this dude will pack on 25 lbs of straight muscle by working out and adding whey topping to his Gries Ice Milk?

You didn't miss anything the other Old Guy must've.

Anyway, 6'7 PG/SG?!! That's something. Can we all just agree that this dude will pack on 25 lbs of straight muscle by working out and adding whey topping to his Gries Ice Milk?

Moore is not a point guard or a combo guard at all. His ballhandling is one of his worst skills.

I have no idea if Moore is good or not. Some on this board really like him. Most locally and nationally have never heard of him. But at the very least, he fits what Crews apparently wants to do - Shooters with size. Interested to see how long it takes to play out.

I am very interested to try and get out to see Moore play this season. He will be the focal point of the defensive game plan for the opposition once again. It will be interesting to see if his efficiency remains as exceptional as it has to this point. While there will undoubtedly be a drop off when he does make the jump to college, it will be a positive if he shows the same level of production this upcoming season.