Zeke Moore - 2016 Commit

If the teams sucks this season and enough fans show their displeasure by not attending games (my wife and I are not renewing our season tickets this year (we were only going to if Tatum committed)), at some point the message gets sent. Big time college athletics are a business after all.

You're not renewing your season tickets because of one bad year? You must be a short timer. Give this class a chance to develop. Enjoy the experience. Win or lose, it's good basket played by talented players. The best bang for your buck in town.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not renewing your season tickets because of one bad year? You must be a short timer. Give this class a chance to develop. Enjoy the experience. Win or lose, it's good basket played by talented players. The best bang for your buck in town.

No and I am not a short timer. It was kind of a waste of money once we looked at the number of games we were not attending and we couldn't even give the tickets away when we couldn't go. I figure I can watch enough games on tv and I can get tickets for the few games I actually want to go to instead of paying for season tickets. Honestly, I am not sure I would get season tickets to anything though, so this is not a shot at the Billikens. I was saying that attendance and a potential lack of interest would resonate with the athletic director, so fans do in fact matter.

No and I am not a short timer. It was kind of a waste of money once we looked at the number of games we were not attending and we couldn't even give the tickets away when we couldn't go. I figure I can watch enough games on tv and I can get tickets for the few games I actually want to go to instead of paying for season tickets. Honestly, I am not sure I would get season tickets to anything though, so this is not a shot at the Billikens. I was saying that attendance and a potential lack of interest would resonate with the athletic director, so fans do in fact matter.

To your larger point, having season tickets to any sport (except the Billikens) is just too much for me. I see where you're coming from.

If this upcoming year is like last year, I'll be missing some games for sure

Just to be clear, you are an alumnus. But you can be forgiven, because I bet they didn't even offer Latin at that other place where you are an alumnus. ;)

Now I know how my kids feel when I correct their English.... Of course, I did graduate twice from SLU so technically....nevermind...

There's a difference between choosing negativity or positivity and reacting realistically to what's happening. While I appreciate a positive approach to the program we all follow and love, I can't imagine the amount of denial necessary to pretend everything is fine with the program right now. To acknowledge this doesn't make you a traitor or anything.

In other words, it's okay to see things in terms other than black and white.

(I know you have to toe the company line as a representative of the university.)

Who has said everything is fine? It seems you must think the roof is caving in or you're overly optimistic. Most people I know who are optimistic regarding the upcoming season acknowledge there were problems last year and things need to improve this year.

Who has said everything is fine? It seems you must think the roof is caving in or you're overly optimistic. Most people I know who are optimistic regarding the upcoming season acknowledge there were problems last year and things need to improve this year.

+1

Some of the 24/7 negative posters on here make me sick.

• Ripping Crews coaching after last year's performance in such an brutal, ugly manner, given all kinds of extenuating circumstances with an extremely young team, a few bad apples, etcetera, is inappropriate. Oh, and that helps recruiting a lot. Thanks. Sure you can say the recruits are smarter than to listen to those on this board. Are they?
  • Ripping Crews saying he cannot recruit when in fact his only true recruiting year is represented by last year's 6 freshman, who were thrown into the fray with almost no help or leadership from upperclassmen. I think they will do well this year, 2 will emerge & step up big, 2 will improve significantly, and 2 will just improve a little.
  • Constantly ripping players like Jolly, a freshman center, and making it very personal. Show some class.
  • We even have a poster who is ripping our newest recruit, questioning the credibility of his stats, even citing his father's behavior. Damn ugly. Some fan.
  • Blaming Crews for not closing Tatum. That means all of our coaches, ever, as you would say, "suck". We have never landed a true 5* much less a player like Tatum. Why? Superior schedule (NC, 'Cuse, Mich State, etcetera vs. Fordham, St. Bonny, etcetera), superior national TV coverage, HOF coach, Duke HOF alumni and NBA players across the land to be in touch with forever, and a strong chance to go to the Final 4, even win the whole shebang... what would be your sales pitch, Brian?
  • The same silly men who do not like Crews think some hot shot up and comer assistant from Florida or Michigan St. or 'Cuse will beg to come here... will they? And if they do and do well, they will leave in 3 years to go to a power conference, won't they?
SO the most important thing, still, by far, is for us to somehow get into the Big East. If we had, a kid like Tatum might have stayed.

Crews is a good, solid coach. Let's see how they do this year.

1000+

Seems like you're missing my point entirely - or agreeing with me unintentionally. I can't decide.

The Pollyannas around here take this self-righteous tone whenever others question Crews or his staff or the AD or the general talent level in the program right now. That gets tiresome. The sky-is-falling crowd is either taking a reasonable position based on 2014-2015 and going a bit too far, or just on my ignore list because they were never reasonable to begin with.

My tone won't change, though. I don't see a point in going so far to one pole or the other.

There's a reason I'm still following this program so closely. I'd also be lying if I said this past season wasn't the worst I've ever seen. It was historically bad. Unwatchable for long stretches. The talent level is questionable at best, and not just because of age. The coaching staff hasn't given us a lot of reasons to have faith. We're in the dumps at the worst possible time if we're trying to get to the Big East.

And yet, we press on. I like some of the young players and think they can be a solid core. We have one of the best places in the country to watch a game. There's a glut of local high school talent at the moment. SLU has a lot else to offer the Big East.

All of these things can be true at once. Things are not all black or all white.

Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure the last time I drove down 64, Chaifetz was still standing. That said, I have to agree with several on this board - our recruiting sucks, Crews sucks, Biondi sucks, Guy sucks, Platt sucks, parking sucks, student section sucks, sports marketing sucks, scheduling sucks, inbound passes suck, timeout calling sucks, not getting in the big east sucks, ticket policy sucks, McBroom sucked, Manning sucked, Tatum sucks, Chris May sucks, statues suck, and on and on. Why do some of you even bother following the Billikens as much as you think just about everything about them sucks AND it sure seems to frustrate you? There are 330+ other teams to follow, plenty in the general area. Just sayin'.....

I'm just glad that I don't read the board as much anymore - it is friggin' depressing seeing so much despair and gnashing of teeth. I feel like I just listened to George Costanza talk about his life when he was trying to get the apartment...

P.S. Welcome Zeke Moore! Very glad you are joining the Billikens!

I stopped reading when you called Highway 40 by the wrong name.

Dear Lord I so wish the playing season starts so we can put all of this stuff to rest. I would like to make a point, my wife has had season tickets and has renewed them without fail for over 30 years. These tickets have been kept through thick and thin, through victory and defeat. through good and bad seasons, and through good and bad coaches because of her feelings for SLU and her liking for basketball. The important thing for her is neither value nor show off, it is SLU and basketball. I am not a SLU alumnus and just joined her a few years ago. I have found myself sharing her feelings for SLU and the Bills. I think SLU deserves our support rather than our bitching and our grandstanding and hope (no, I am not incapable of seeing reality) for a much better season this year.

Dear Lord I so wish the playing season starts so we can put all of this stuff to rest. I would like to make a point, my wife has had season tickets and has renewed them without fail for over 30 years. These tickets have been kept through thick and thin, through victory and defeat. through good and bad seasons, and through good and bad coaches because of her feelings for SLU and her liking for basketball. The important thing for her is neither value nor show off, it is SLU and basketball. I am not a SLU alumnus and just joined her a few years ago. I have found myself sharing her feelings for SLU and the Bills. I think SLU deserves our support rather than our bitching and our grandstanding and hope (no, I am not incapable of seeing reality) for a much better season this year.

+100. The season cannot get here soon enough

What we know from seeing this coaching staff:

With talent, they win (hence the 2 NCAAs after Coach Majerus passed away). With lesser talent and experience, last year happened. Can Coach Crews and his staff turn Scenario 2 into Scenario 1?

As for the Big East, I don't think it's worth it to worry about anymore. Win out of the Atlantic 10...that's where we are.

Welcome Zeke Moore! Great pick-up!! Here's what I've heard: We got him just as he began drawing more D1 attention ("blowing up"); he is definitely growing into his body and his game, but this kid can flat out shoot and score. Give him 2-3 years to work out and become a better defender ... one of which is in high school. Does that sound helpful to anyone?? Plus it is just not fair to compare Zeke Moore with Tatum -- personally I'm happy to have all the scoring help we can get at this point. WELCOME!

I can hardly believe how vicious some of the posters on here have been, but then again, why be so surprised?? As for Tatum choosing Duke, --Shocker!! I heard one guy say there are 16 or 17 former Dukies currently in the NBA, do not feel like tracking down the accuracy but it sounds plausible, and I can say with some conviction it is around 16 or 17 more that SLU. As for HOF guys from Duke -- if you mean College Basketball HOF -- there are a few of them too, including the Coack K. I like Crews and staff, but why begrudge this kid from making the obvious choice?? If you were one of the guys sweating it out and holding your breath over some teenager's choices, tough tooties; as the Eagles sang, GET OVER IT!

I agree - one bad year does not make a send a message opportunity. For those of us who have suffered through many years of rebuilding it would make more sense if we did not renew but of course, not renewing does nothing t help the situation. If you renew and do not attend that sends the same message but does not kill the programs.

Crews overestimated his ability to coach up these guys.

This is an interesting statement 3star. What did Crews actually say about "his ability to coach up these guys". Your statement that he overestimated himself has to be based on something Crews stated, right?

I guess I missed that interview.

Some of the 24/7 negative posters on here make me sick.

• Ripping Crews coaching after last year's performance in such an brutal, ugly manner, given all kinds of extenuating circumstances with an extremely young team, a few bad apples, etcetera, is inappropriate. Oh, and that helps recruiting a lot. Thanks. Sure you can say the recruits are smarter than to listen to those on this board. Are they?
  • Ripping Crews saying he cannot recruit when in fact his only true recruiting year is represented by last year's 6 freshman, who were thrown into the fray with almost no help or leadership from upperclassmen. I think they will do well this year, 2 will emerge & step up big, 2 will improve significantly, and 2 will just improve a little.
  • Constantly ripping players like Jolly, a freshman center, and making it very personal. Show some class.
  • We even have a poster who is ripping our newest recruit, questioning the credibility of his stats, even citing his father's behavior. Damn ugly. Some fan.
  • Blaming Crews for not closing Tatum. That means all of our coaches, ever, as you would say, "suck". We have never landed a true 5* much less a player like Tatum. Why? Superior schedule (NC, 'Cuse, Mich State, etcetera vs. Fordham, St. Bonny, etcetera), superior national TV coverage, HOF coach, Duke HOF alumni and NBA players across the land to be in touch with forever, and a strong chance to go to the Final 4, even win the whole shebang... what would be your sales pitch, Brian?
  • The same silly men who do not like Crews think some hot shot up and comer assistant from Florida or Michigan St. or 'Cuse will beg to come here... will they? And if they do and do well, they will leave in 3 years to go to a power conference, won't they?

SO the most important thing, still, by far, is for us to somehow get into the Big East. If we had, a kid like Tatum might have stayed.

Crews is a good, solid coach. Let's see how they do this year.

Sorry I didn't notice this gem earlier.

I am pretty sure I have never posted that Jim Crews "sucks". I have posted that our offense sucks and our defense sucks, but have never said our Jim Crews "sucks".

The Jim Crews closer tab takes into account many more players than that guy that plays at Chaminade. Crews has consistently missed out on guys that were his priority recruits.

If I was Jim Crews I would have either gone all in on the Tatum recruitment or cut bait a long time ago. I would have hired Justin (this makes sense even without that kid from Chaminade) and I would have offered Barnes (there were reason to do this besides that other kid).

Plus, we have landed a true 5* in the past. It happened to be that kid's godfather.

I can hardly believe how vicious some of the posters on here have been, but then again, why be so surprised?? As for Tatum choosing Duke, --Shocker!! I heard one guy say there are 16 or 17 former Dukies currently in the NBA, do not feel like tracking down the accuracy but it sounds plausible, and I can say with some conviction it is around 16 or 17 more that SLU. As for HOF guys from Duke -- if you mean College Basketball HOF -- there are a few of them too, including the Coack K. I like Crews and staff, but why begrudge this kid from making the obvious choice?? If you were one of the guys sweating it out and holding your breath over some teenager's choices, tough tooties; as the Eagles sang, GET OVER IT!

No I don't mean the college basketball HOF. Who would EVER mean the college basketball hall of fame? Why is there even a college basketball hall of fame? That is the most ridiculous statement I've heard in a long time. Christ almighty, I don't know what is more ridiculous - the existence of a college basketball hall of fame or someone actually bringing it up in conversation.

There are 0 Duke players in THE basketball hall of fame. Coach K is in. SLU has more hall of fame alumni than Duke. Of course that has nothing to do with the price of tea in china. It has been established that a guy like Tatum could go to WashU and be drafted in the top 5 of the draft in 2017.

I do love the attitude about teenagers choices though. Should we all stop following recruiting since it is unacceptable to care about a teenagers choice? For that matter, I suppose I shouldn't have been rooting for last years team because it was a bunch of teenagers making really bad choices all over a basketball court, over and over again. Sometimes even the same bad choices!

I hope for Jim Crews sake that Zeke Moore turns out to be a much better player than Jordan Barnes. That could be a 'that from Minnesota' for his regime.

So from what everyone says, Moore has a high ceiling but his floor appears to be very low too all things considered. Is he a 6'6 Mike McCall or is he Jake Barnett with an attitude issue?

In July of 2013 or even 2014, I would have taken a chance on a kid like that. Our roster either was or appeared to be in good shape. You can risk a guy like that. Instead you have a roster that is just not very good, showed few flashes of being good, and even less signs of consistency. To me that's not the kind of roster makeup you can have to take a chance on a guy like this. If he turns out to be a 1000 point scorer and an All A10 Player, you still have to build the rest of your roster. If he turns out to be a bench guy, you just have one more spot on your roster that you have to fill.

Talent wise obviously, but the interest level is there.

I am glad they are trying to build a relationship there. I just wish they would fix whatever is wrong with the Eagles relationship for the long term health of the program. That relationship can't be toxic and it makes no sense for it to be toxic with the number of connections SLU has with people involved with the Eagles program. Our local alumni should be the biggest recruiters for the program.