Zeke Moore - 2016 Commit

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This board is going to hell btw. You're either in the group that the staff can't do anything right (that's my group) or its a crime to even question them group

Or it's a crime to think they should be given this year ... by the "they can't do anything right group" Obviously, if you're in one camp, you're going to feel like the other camp is wrong ... and we are all emotionally connected so the responses tend to be emotional.

Stats never tell the entire story but 63% from the field, 52% from 3 with about 5 attempts a game, and 80% from the line ... it appears the kid has more than just a good stroke, it appears he can really shoot. He was also 2nd on his team with 6 boards a game and led his team in assists with 3.14

I respect both Torch's and 3 Stars opinions though they seem to differ a bit. I said it before that if I'm going to err, I'll err on the side of a shooter. For probably over 10 years we've lamented the lack of a great shooter, it looks like we just signed one. Everything I've read makes me think I like the kid and am glad he committed. Time will tell

Milik will be your true three come his junior year now that he's lost that baby fat.

Yarbrough was fat last year, but Crews said his bodyfat count was like 7%.

Yarbrough was fat last year, but Crews said his bodyfat count was like 7%.

He had zero muscle tone last year so maybe crews forgot to add the 1 in front of that 7.

MY is going to make us forget about Evans, and Evans was one of my all time favorite players.

I know it became cool to be down on Milik last season, but I worry less about his development than anyone else on the team. Milik is going to be a player.

Isn't the talent level overall in the Suburban North pretty good most years? Not sure what to make of everything here, but good luck to Zeke as a Billiken.

Yes it is. Sub North is underrated frankly. Riverview has been decimated by student defections due to losing their accreditation. Their best athletes either bus down south to Mehlville or find some way to game the system and get into another area school. The McCluer's and Hazelwoods are filled with Riverview kids who attend illegally. A school that has won both a football and basketball state title in my lifetime now can barely compete against schools with half the enrollment they have.

Yup. Most talented freshman we've had since Hughes. And I'm glad MY got a little pissy on a team that ended up w/11 wins. 11 GOTDAMN WINS!

Wait! I didn't think Crews could recruit anybody worth a c#@%. Are you saying MY is good? How can that be?

Frankly I'll take at least 3 and probably 4 of last years freshmen anytime. The problem was we had to play them all due to prior recruiting issues. I think the overreaction of the anti-Crews posters to losing a player we probably never really had a chance to get, is over the top. Lets see what this young team can do next year instead of going, Ready, Fire, Aim!

Looks like hmart23 gets credit for the first mention on the board on 1/27/15: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24410&page=71&hl=moore#entry440161

"Thought I would bring up someone flying under a lot of radars right now. A legitimate 6'5 wing who is getting interest from the Bills. Zeke Moore from Riverview Gardens. Transferred to Riverview this year to play ball and be coached by his Dad. He went to my Alma Mater at McCluer North. He can really stroke it from three and can handle the ball fairly well for his size. Currently second in the area in scoring at 27 a game. Only second to FBJT. I know SLU has talked to him and sent a letter or two. Has offers from the entire MO Valley besides Wichita State. Should be interesting to see in the coming weeks what comes of this."

doowop followed up later in the thread:

"I watched Zeke Moore of Riverview play tonight. He has a good handle and can create his own shot. Plays very little defense, probably because Riverview plays a zone; but even then he is not very active. He is thin like Bartley. He has one talent that may hinder him from being a Billiken, he hits most of his free throws. In order to become a high D1 prospect he will need better coaching and discipline. He has one more year to get better."

And so did thetorch:

"He's gotten a lot better in a year. I thought he went to Riverview so he could be the focal point. His father, his new coach, was always a blowhard in the stands at MN games. He was always a good shooter but he has picked up his slashing ability. He's not as good as Sneed but he's getting close. At Riverview though he is hard pressed to get into a D-1 school."

Then 3star here on 3/27/15: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26450&hl=zeke#entry449948

"Once you get past Xavier Sneed I question whether three of the next four best local kids (Brendon Gooch, Zeke Moore, Jordan Barnes) are physically ready to be more than 10 min a game guys their freshman year. They're all skinny kids, especially Gooch. Illinois class is weak, particularly at the point guard position. If we're going to find an impact player at that position in 2016, it's going to take a cross country search. If Tarkus Ferguson could blossom into a scorer over the next year, that would be ideal. He's the closest to being physically ready. But developing into a scorer with all that talent on Althoff's team is going to be tough. There's only one ball.

If physical maturity was not an issue, I'd probably take Zeke Moore over any of them, including Sneed. I'm partial to kids who have to score a ton and hit the boards in order for their teams to win."

slufan13 made reference to Durando's article, which included a Moore bit on 4/29/15: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26544&page=14&hl=zeke#entry454415

"Riverview Gardens junior guard Zeke Moore has made an impression on the circuit with Team Ramey. The 6-6 shooting guard impressed at this weekend's NY2LA Spring Extravaganza. His bevy of offers come from mostly Missouri Valley Conference programs as Indiana State, Illinois State, Drake, Loyola-Chicago and SIU are all after him. Northern Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, University of Missouri Kansas City and Jacksonville State have offered, too. On Monday, Moore tweeted that he was receiving interest from Missouri."

And from what I can tell, that's pretty much it on Zeke Moore before this week. All 2015, only a few mentions, and not a ton of SLU ties discussed. So even though he wasn't a total out-of-nowhere recruit, he wasn't far off as far as our discussions have gone. Credit to hmart23, doowop, thetorch, 3star, slufan13, and Stu Durando for Moore before this week. There's something to be said for those who GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY.

I'll admit that I didn't really log him as a name we were watching. I totally missed hmart's comment that SLU had been in contact. Subtle.

Stats never tell the entire story but 63% from the field, 52% from 3 with about 5 attempts a game, and 80% from the line ... it appears the kid has more than just a good stroke, it appears he can really shoot. He was also 2nd on his team with 6 boards a game and led his team in assists with 3.14

Wow, I'm just noticing those numbers. Here are Riverview's stats from last season. The team wasn't good, going 12-14 on the season and 0-5 in conference.

Moore indeed averaged 25.3 PPG (third in the STL metro) on 62.8% shooting, including 52.2% from the perimeter. He was 79.4% from the FT line. He added 6.0 RPG, 3.1 APG, 1.7 SPG, and 0.6 BPG. He averaged a little over 2 turnovers per game.

He had more than double the field goal attempts as the next most frequent shooter on the team. Against Althoff, he took 27 of RG's 51 shots (they lost by 27).

It's really hard to say what the numbers mean for the best player on a bad team, but those percentages are kind of amazing, actually. I would assume he's drawing the toughest defender every time they step on the court, so he's an incredibly selective three-point shooter if he's making over half of them. Again, high school stats aren't perfect by a long shot in accuracy or completeness, but those percentages are encouraging.

This kind of marks a change in philosophy too.

Last year, SLU brought in a couple guys who were part of teams with higher-profile recruits from top-level schools (Whitney Young and White Station). This year, the staff signs the #1 option from a really bad team. So that's a little different. Another "surprise" commitment after Bishop...

Let's agree that the team had a problem last year, I know this is an understatement but let me continue. Let's say that they have looked deeply into the issues we have had with recruiting and have decided to go for a different type of recruit. Let us say that they are going after what might be called hidden talent. Talent may be hidden for a number of reasons including playing for a school that is not very good. Be what it may, let us consider these may be some of the reasons for the new recruits we are seeing. So, they may indeed be trying something new for them and they should be supported, at least until they are proven correct or incorrect with these changes. What we all want is a better team for next season and the upcoming seasons. Let's see if these apparent changes work.

His offer list wasn't the most impressive but the interest picked up significantly in recent weeks. I guess now we'll never know if some of the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 schools actually would've offered, though.

Some thought he and his dad might've been waiting for the best offer. We're it so far, but with this quick commitment, they were clearly waiting for this and not a 'bigger' one. His dad is the coach at Riverview Gardens, so now he'll get to see a lot of his games. Traveling after Friday night HS games to Saturday college games is tricky, if he'd gone somewhere else.

Which brings me to the 'family concerns' mentioned earlier - dad is, from what I'm told, the next coming of Kevin Slaten when it comes to bad sports dad issues.

Great - knowing Slaten this only makes me go yikes. Slaten is a buffoon and was a negative for his son. His son could shoot/score but that was all - hoping Zeke can do more.

First and foremost, I welcome Zeke Moore and wish him the best as a Billiken. I hope he turns out to be a stud.

BUT:

Lets stop trying to sell the idea that player ratings don't matter. They do. Do they tell the whole story? NO. Is there the occasionally under rated/off the radar player that ends up having pro potential? YES…but they are the exception.

Duke and kentucky sign highly rated players and what are the results? CHAMPIONSHIPS. Teams that recruit highly rated players tend to do well. Teams that recruit lowly rated players tend to do poorly. In this era of the one-and-done having 4 year players can bring you some success, but it will only take you so far. We had some mid-rating, 4 year players with Jordair and the crew and it brought SLU success but ultimately no success in the NCAA tournament.

Ratings are given by bigger sources (ESPN,Rivals, MaxPreps, etc.) and those sources follow players who are being given attention. Attention is being given to those who are doing something worthy of attention. There are reasons why some players are rated higher than others. There are reasons why some players don't get any attentions (they haven't don't anything worthy of attention). The fact that we are getting guy after guy that has been been getting little attention is worrying. We can hope for the best with each new recruit, and I will be cheering for each player along with the rest of you, but let's realize that the fact that we are now getting unrated recruits (2 stars is the default that Verbal Commits gives, and no other source has even given him a rating…ESPN doesn't even have him in their data base) is a bad sign.

So the center from IL that RM signed was highly rated - what happened? That said I do get your overall point.