Glaze Hurt

SluSignGuy

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@RU --- sure, you could weight-scale rate anyone's contributions and try to come to some objective conclusion but no matter, doing so is hard and some sort of bias would come into play. All I am saying is this #1) redshirt/fifth year guys have a poor track record at SLU, don't know why but they do and it seems no real benefit comes from it, and #2) keeping Grandy another year, while it MIGHT be better than Johnson and/or Husak, still doesn't seem to significantly add any quality or production to the overall effort.

Time to move on and develop the future. Again, good kids but wrong time at place.

@RU --- sure, you could weight-scale rate anyone's contributions and try to come to some objective conclusion but no matter, doing so is hard and some sort of bias would come into play. All I am saying is this #1) redshirt/fifth year guys have a poor track record at SLU, don't know why but they do and it seems no real benefit comes from it, and #2) keeping Grandy another year, while it MIGHT be better than Johnson and/or Husak, still doesn't seem to significantly add any quality or production to the overall effort.

Time to move on and develop the future. Again, good kids but wrong time at place.

I can agree with this. The comparison to completely worthless Justin Johnson rankled. No one deserves that.

If Glaze never suits up again for SLU, would that make him the program's all-time leader in win percentage?

If you give Glaze credit for games he didn't play in during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons and disregard this current season, then he narrowly edges Easy Ed (78.6% to 78.0%).

The reality is that Grandy only played 29 minutes over 9 games in 2011-12, all blowout wins.

In 2012-13, Grandy missed some games due to injury, including losses to Kansas, Washington, Temple, and Rhode Island.

SLU is 58-10 (85.3%) in games where Grandy Glaze gets into the game.

I'd take Grandy for another year, but I'm not sure I'd take him over any of the freshmen or sophomores as I think we haven't seen the best from any of them yet.

Regardless of on-court success, there would be an advantage of having Grandy for one more year instead of any of the other freshmen, sophs or juniors: keeping him would allow for a 3rd scholarship for the 2016 class. As we know, we've got a reasonable shot at a bunch of very talented 2016 players but only 2 to give. Having a third scholarship for that class could be very nice.

If you give Glaze credit for games he didn't play in during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons and disregard this current season, then he narrowly edges Easy Ed (78.6% to 78.0%).

The reality is that Grandy only played 29 minutes over 9 games in 2011-12, all blowout wins.

In 2012-13, Grandy missed some games due to injury, including losses to Kansas, Washington, Temple, and Rhode Island.

SLU is 58-10 (85.3%) in games where Grandy Glaze gets into the game.

He's by far the player we've missed the most. Clearly a 'winner'

I don't like Crew's "worry about B when B comes" mentality/approach. As a coach trying to build up a program, he should always be looking to the future.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I think you're taking Crews's comment out of context. That's strictly regarding Grandy's health vs. basketball; it's not related to the basketball program. After all, he's recruiting players who won't come to the school for two or three years, so in that sense he's on A, B, C, and D!

This pining for GG is much like years after a president is out of office people begin thinking how great it was when they were in even though people couldn't wait to get rid of the person. GG was at best a serviceable player - that is it. Keeping him around another year will have little if any impact on next year's team performance. I would rather let him graduate and give us a chance to sign a player with greater potential.

I'd be cool either way. Grandy brings energy, a great attitude, and kid loves to hit the boards. Preferred walk-on while he finishes up his degree. I'd take it.

Well who pay his tuition? There is no schollie available and if some one leaves I would prefer to give a new kid a chance with more potential. Nobody is saying that GG is not a good kid and was good member of the team but his time has come and gone.

This pining for GG is much like years after a president is out of office people begin thinking how great it was when they were in even though people couldn't wait to get rid of the person. GG was at best a serviceable player - that is it. Keeping him around another year will have little if any impact on next year's team performance. I would rather let him graduate and give us a chance to sign a player with greater potential.

Cheese. I have found that "talking" about GG on this Board is pointless. If you point out what he has done (or should I say not done and state that there is absolutely no basis for these wild ass statements: "If only we had GG...", "GG can sure rebound..." as if he were Dennis Rodman or "GG sure brought alot of energy..." then you get labeled as "negative", not a "true" fan, etc. On the other hand, because he is, by all accounts, a nice guy, a team leader in the locker room, a kid who caught a raw deal while diving for a loose ball (then again there are reports he arrived at SLU with a prior shoulder problem) and a kid who could otherwise fill a role on this team, and now his absence has made him into a legend. No one (including me) wants to take further shots on our kids - and especially not to knock a good kid when he is injured.

Reality: our team doesn't need another role player. If GG were healthy, he would be a role player. Instead, our team needs a few leaders -- a few "go to" guys who can take charge of this team. The sooner we develop these guys, the sooner we will right this ship of ours. I personally believe that neither GG nor JM are capable of being "go to" guys and therefore while I appreciate whatever roles they may or may not fill, I do believe that JC must stay focused on developing the talent we do have. Our future -- both short term and long term is not focused on GG and JM. Face it -- our talent level this year is essentially the same as next year -- and I am not willing to watch this level/quality of basketball again next year.

GG can sure rebound. 4.5 RPG in only 12.9 MPG last season. With our rebounding woes I will be very glad when and if he plays this season.

That, of course, is one way to look at the figure to prove how great of a rebounder GG is. Another way, of course, is to say that GG basically conceded trying to score and become any semblance of an offensive threat, that he deferred and passed the scoring burden upon his other 4 team mates and that he then made sure he contributed in other ways by offering energy and rebounding. In my opinion, any player (and not just GG) who cannot contribute in all aspect (scoring, defense, rebounding, passing, positioning, etc.) places an unfair burden on the other 4 guys causing the team to play "short handed". With quality, proven, veteran Seniors, this worked at times but not always. Last year, with GG in the game, no defender ever guarded him outside of 5 feet from the basket and, frankly, the veteran Seniors struggled trying to make up for him. For instance, as good as DE was for us, he was not effective scoring when either GG or RA were in the game playing the 4 -- and hence the scoring burden was then shifted upon 3 players -- our 1, 2 and 5. With our current group of 12, it just wouldn't work in that all 12 of our guys are struggling to score as it is without a guy who doesn't provide an offensive threat allowing their 5 to effectively guard our other 4 players. No thanks.

Remember, the whole purpose of basketball is to outscore the other team and while defense is clearly important, it really reduces the amount of points you actually must score to win. A team can play perfect defense but, by definition, cannot win the game without offense. In such a situation, the game would be a 0 to 0 tie - perfect defense and zero scoring. Now, if a team plays lousy defense and gives up a 100 points, they can still win if they score 101 points -- but, of course, this puts alot of pressure upon the offense to score that many points to win the game.