New assistant coach

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents:

I am very excited about this hire. I like the fact that Cheaney is somewhat of a household name from his NBA days. I think this boosts SLU's PR big time. Crean obviously thinks highly of him, so the lack of coaching experience doesn't bother me much. Crews and Platt have plenty of experience, so we can get away with being somewhat green in the other spots.

Great hire.

Cheaney bring instant name recognition to the program. He'll be mentioned every broadcast. While he isn't a household name nationally, he's known certainly in the midwest.

I can be wary of hiring ex pro players for college coaching jobs (see Drexler, Clyde) and Cheaney made over 30 million in his career. Then serves as DOB for Indiana. This guy doesn't need to work. He has a genuine desire to coach and win at a high level.

Great hire.

Cheaney bring instant name recognition to the program. He'll be mentioned every broadcast. While he isn't a household name nationally, he's known certainly in the midwest.

I can be wary of hiring ex pro players for college coaching jobs (see Drexler, Clyde) and Cheaney made over 30 million in his career. Then serves as DOB for Indiana. This guy doesn't need to work. He has a genuine desire to coach and win at a high level.

Preach. +100

What? I'm excited and think he will be a good assistant coach just think that to say he is being groomed to be Crews' successor is stupid.

Good. It's called speculation. It's what fuels Internet message boards... The name calling needs to stop. If crean thinks he's HC material, maybe this is the first step. Crews might not be here 5 or 6 years from now.

It's a nice splash in a current drab news moment in an off-season clamoring for some spark. Maybe it sparks a few of the fence-sitters on the recruiting trail to make a move, signing on as Cheaney did. We'll see.

I like it. I like the pedigree. I like the former NBA aspect. I like the former Indiana aspect. I like the race aspect. If he's being groomed, so be it but who knows how long down the road he is here. I like what we've traded in for this (Whitesell) in terms of the one-for-one aspect gainign a whole lot of youth. Did the Indiana DBO do any recruiting? Much like Dalonte Hill and Mike Beasley, maybe we get someone attached. Pure speculation there.

I'm glad we made a program splash. As some have said in the other thread, we need another verbal. I'm not too concerned -- having two verbals already in the can at this point seems a huge bonus right now --- but I want the momentum to continue.

He was a successful tweener. 6'7" guard, small forward.

My question with this staff remains who is going to coach up our bigs especially John Manning since we lost Jensen, our other NBA background assistant?

What? I'm excited and think he will be a good assistant coach just think that to say he is being groomed to be Crews' successor is stupid.

Crean was pretty effusive in his comments on Cheaney, so I could see how someone might make that conclusion. But then again, one would expect Crean to make comments like that.

Great, great hire. Much better than many of us had hoped for. I say buy him a suitcase, get him a room at the MAC until he has time to find a permanent living place, and get him out on the road recruiting ASAP!

With regard to who might be able to coach JM on how to be a #5, I think at least JC or CC are more than up to the challenge. You don't have to be a former #5 to be able to coach one. I remember watching RG work after practice with AB and that seemed to work out ok.

Wow. Wow x 10! I almost peed on the couch last night when News 4 announced this -- the first I heard of it. Westy is right-- I'm ecstatic and I want to echo some of the others on here: a great, great coup for this program.

Pelican is right: Cal is a great guy, a class act; and a true blue stud as an athlete too. That team that lost to Duke in the final four (@#$!*&%#*!) was absolutely stacked and probably one of the best teams ever, not to win the championship (they were ranked #! virtually the entire year).

Somebody said he is not a household name. (Is Pete Maravich a household name anymore??) But then duff man comes back with the reality: yes, not only player of the year (Wooden & Naismith both), but -- wait for it-- all time leading scorer in the big ten--say what?? are you kidding me?? just think of some of the names on that list: all behind Calbert. Think of the cache he brings to a place like Indiana: he also now has great experience with Crean, a guy who can coach and recruit.

I knew him and he lived with Chris Reynolds, an all time great guy and super defensively. The coaching tree of the General keeps growing; Calbert will know how to improve players defensively. But as a player, I'll tell you one thing: I've seen some guys come and go but I cannot think of another pure, true, first game freshman who could score it like Calbert. His shot was pure as oxygen, his form was -- well, beautiful, at 18; and never really changed. that kid was, simply put, a born scorer. And absolutely effortless: I got to tell you, some athletes sweat and huff and puff, not Calbert.

Yes, this is a great lift in a very hectic week.

It's a nice splash in a current drab news moment in an off-season clamoring for some spark. Maybe it sparks a few of the fence-sitters on the recruiting trail to make a move, signing on as Cheaney did. We'll see.

I like it. I like the pedigree. I like the former NBA aspect. I like the former Indiana aspect. I like the race aspect. If he's being groomed, so be it but who knows how long down the road he is here. I like what we've traded in for this (Whitesell) in terms of the one-for-one aspect gainign a whole lot of youth. Did the Indiana DBO do any recruiting? Much like Dalonte Hill and Mike Beasley, maybe we get someone attached. Pure speculation there.

I'm glad we made a program splash. As some have said in the other thread, we need another verbal. I'm not too concerned -- having two verbals already in the can at this point seems a huge bonus right now --- but I want the momentum to continue.

-here is a job posting from Bowling Green on what the DBO there is charged with, so if similar at IU he was very involved in recruiting....

http://www.hoopcoach.org/profiles/blogs/director-basketball-operations-job-description/

On paper, looks like a great hire. The guy had a long career in the NBA and even worked with Golden State for a couple of years. That is the type of pedigree that gets the attention of recruits. I really like the mix on the staff now. I don't think we need another former head coach. Platt and Whitesell were kind of duplicate type coaches. Now we got one older former coach, a former college star and solid NBA player and the young up and coming coach, next Brad Stevens, Tanner Bronson.