New assistant coach

Taj is a hof billikens.com member. I look forward to his well thought, complete and honest posts.

Those taking shots at taj billiken commentary are just wrong. Maybe it is jealousy since typically the taj attackers contribute little beyond board policework and attempts to refocus real debate points taj brings to the table.

Luckily taj has thick skin and keeps coming back.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taj is a hof billikens.com member. I look forward to his well thought, complete and honest posts.

Those taking shots at taj billiken commentary are just wrong. Maybe it is jealousy since typically the taj attackers contribute little beyond board policework and attempts to refocus real debate points taj brings to the table.

And a high tolerance...always an added bonus to going to an east coast road game is hangin with Taj at the happy hour!

You can't be a ***** and be in the Billiken.com HOF, B'Roy.

What does hof stand for? I think anyone that uses initials is too lazy and therefore I will be lazy and won't read the rest of this post.

I wonder if the rest of the post says anything interesting :rolleyes:

What does hof stand for? I think anyone that uses initials is too lazy and therefore I will be lazy and won't read the rest of this post.

I will applaud this one. Excellent post sir.

Kshoe having just a hell of a day being a d!ck

I will applaud this one. Excellent post sir.

Thank you. Just trying to bring a little humor to a thread that has otherwise gotten people way too uptight. Its clear we need a commitment soon to get people in better spirits. Its Friday after all.

2wpr18p.jpg

Just another ho hum day on Billikens.com, our happy little community.

you can thank whichever ilLEGITimate moderator shut down my perfectly necessary poll this morning. for the record i have never been stabbed, shot, or lawrence'd two chicks at the same time.

i can't decide whether i'd like to legally murder someone or not, however. i'd love for everyone to act in a manner that did not require people to get murdered, but that's not going to happen, and if somebody definitely needed to get murdered, i think i'd like a chance at it. i could justify the murder. like how scott hall murdered that guy.

Taj, here is the part of your post that Ace highlighted.

"I had hoped Rick was going to start the sustainability thing but clock hits it on the head where he says Rick brought in skills that helped him now. Once this resurrection job was done, he could ride off again into the sunset with his HOF rep intact and claims of rectifying a sinking program resonating louder than before. I would have hoped he cared about what he left behind but that's a moot point now."

The first sentence you say you "hoped" Majerus would start sustainability and then in the last sentence you say you would have hoped he cared about what he left behind but that's a moot point. Both of those statements implied to me that you believed he did not leave a sustained program and that he didn't care about what he left behind. IF I misinterpreted your statement than shame on me but I'll let you tell me.

I probably also took an extra step and saying you said he left the program in bad shape but note I never said you said he left the program in worse shape than when he got there.

+1 I just don't understand how much responsibility a coach has for "sustainability." Is Todd Lickliter great because Brad Stevens followed him at Butler? I don't think the guy is even coaching D1 any more. Conversely, does RM get downgraded because Utah went to crap after he left? I don't think so. IMO, it highlights two things, the folks at Utah were not ready to carry on what RM built and it demonstrates what a miraculous job RM did there. What a wasteland for college basketball. Not an easy place to win at.

I don't know why any coach would groom an obvious successor. Most coaches, especially if they are good, think they will coach forever. Even Majerus did that to some extent. I believe Rick was only concerned with winning the game in front of him, not winning games 5 years after he left. I have no problem with that.

I believe Assts have become way more important in the last 15-20 years. It took awhile for SLU to realize this. Some of Soderbergs staffs had more experience in selling used cars and insurance than coaching basketball.

We don't really know how much we pay our Assts only that it less than St. Johns. Does anyone have an idea of what Xavier, Gonzaga or Butler pays? Even historically? Those are the programs we attempting to emulate and they seem to have this coaching carousel thing down pat. Still barring unforeseen circumstances Crews is here at least 5 more years. No need to concern ourselves with his successor. With the way we go through assts, nobody on the staff may be here in 2 years much less 5.

It's called continuity.

think you missed his entire point. the second sentence especially.

the job of the HC isn't to assure the program succeeds after he leaves (is fired). it's to produce wins, or as torch said, winning the games in front of him. to expect both is absurd.

So what SMU did with Larry brown and Tim jankovich wasn't for the sake of continuity for recruiting, etc? It was just for shits and giggles?

Bobby Hurley was in Blue Chips on the same team Indiana team as Calbert Cheaney. Is this the right thread still?

The SMU situation is different because

1. SMU has been horrible for forever.

2. Larry Brown could drop dead at any moment.

3. Even if he doesn't die, he'd leave the program in 2 years anyway because he's never had a job that long.

3. Even if he doesn't die, he'd leave the program in 2 years anyway because he's never had a job that long.

This post is so good, you should post it twice

So what SMU did with Larry brown and Tim jankovich wasn't for the sake of continuity for recruiting, etc? It was just for shits and giggles?

Oh wow, you pointed out one instance where this is happening (for the reasons Torch listed). I guess you win.

SMU... yea, let's follow their lead...