New assistant coach

Oh wow, you pointed out one instance where this is happening (for the reasons Torch listed). I guess you win.

SMU... yea, let's follow their lead...

ESPN reported today SMU is likely to beat out KY for the no 1 rated PG. I wouldn't mind if we got the no2.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw it out there, the mobile version of the site is fantastic.

I remember when I installed it, I didn't realize that I did (it was part of a forum upgrade) and people seemed to like it. Otherwise stated, I can't take credit beyond using InvisionPower Board.

Just to throw it out there, the mobile version of the site is fantastic.

Agreed. I only recently started using the mobile version. My problem is at work I fall in and out of wifi constantly causing my phone to double post.

think you missed his entire point. the second sentence especially.

the job of the HC isn't to assure the program succeeds after he leaves (is fired). it's to produce wins, or as torch said, winning the games in front of him. to expect both is absurd.

The job of the administration is to look after continuity. Maybe not apropos of anything, but years ago, Willie Randolph was offered the job of manager by the Cincinnati Reds, but he couldn't pick (all of?) his own coaches. The Reds wanted people with history of the organization, Randolph wanted his own people. No one's wrong, but Randolph didn't get hired.

We are speculating about what are likely contractual issues, specified in the contracts signed by the head coach and his assistants. The contracts will vary from organization to organization. For example the Reds may have contract A, and Xavier may have contract B, and SLU may have contract C. Each of these contracts may be very similar or very different from one another in any number of regards like continuity, ability to choose own staff, etc... We just do not know what the terms of Jim Crews' contract are and are not likely to find out. All that we know for sure is that Jim Crews hired Calbert Cheaney as an assistant coach. That action does not imply a thing about any clauses in the contract regarding continuity, etc...

The job of the administration is to look after continuity.

Look after continuity?? What does that mean to you? Veto coaching hirings? Because of prior bad conduct and like, sure. But for continuity purposes?? I say no. Who would do this? The Athletic Director? The President? Haven't we had enough micro-managing from above?? Hasn't coaching at SLU been hard enough that we shouldn't add burdens of succession and continuity??

Here's my take. RM simply had a unique style of surrounding himself with uniquely skilled guys who assisted him -- the head coach -- recruit, coach and win games. Sure there are exceptions... and sure there are mitigating factors... but when a staff is full of former D1 coaches who did not do well at their "lesser" or "lower-level" schools, a guy like Jensen who had never coached anywhere before, and a guy like Harriman whose accomplished were limited in both scope and as to Australia, then why would anyone really think RM was putting in a succession plan?? And why would anyone think that success on the Court with this approach meant we are becoming like Xavier?

And with a proven track record like RM had, why would anyone feel the need to "look after continuity." IMO, Porter, Biancardi and Whitesell did nothing as head coach during their prior stints to earn the head coaching job here at SLU. At the same time, they were really good assistant coaches and I glad to have had them - and even more glad to have had RM.

Yeah I think there is confusion because someone posted the DBO job description that included a lot of things about scheduling recruiting visits. A DBO scheduling recruiting visits doesn't make them a recruiter just like a legal secretary scheduling client meetings doesn't make them an attorney.

This isn't to say I don't think Calbert will be a good recruiter. I think he will. However, he doesn't really have any experience with it.

He is the job opening for DBO at Indiana and all of Cheaney's former duties.

https://jobs.iu.edu/joblisting/index.cfm?jlnum=9192&search=2

Taj is a hof billikens.com member. I look forward to his well thought, complete and honest posts.

Those taking shots at taj billiken commentary are just wrong. Maybe it is jealousy since typically the taj attackers contribute little beyond board policework and attempts to refocus real debate points taj brings to the table.

Luckily taj has thick skin and keeps coming back.

I can't believe I have been so wrong about this in the past. I just assumed that all of the posters involved in this discussion (Taj, KShoe, etc.) were dudes. I didn't know you were gals. Clearly, with all of the bitching and moaning and hurt feelings and apology requesting you must all be women. This thread should be retitled "Real Housewives of West County."

This is a message board. We're supposed to argue about topics and have some thick skin about it.

This is actually an interesting topic despite the odd postings of a few - anyway, the question of whether a head coach has the reponsibility of ensuring success after he leaves can be answered many ways. If the head coach who leaves only cares for himself and not his players he recruited, the institution or fans who helped to make him successful with their support then the answer is obviously no - look out for #1 only. However, if you look to hire someone who is competent and of high character, he should care about leaving the school in a better place then when he came or at least at the same level - why? because good people usually do care how others think about them and about those they have worked closely with. A coach recruits kids for 4 playing years and at sometime he will likely leave for another job unless of course you are at the top of the heap where you are at like a Duke or KY, so at some point he will leave some players that he made a commitment to before their 4 years are up. Why would he not want to make sure that he did not leave the cupboard empty for the kids? or the fans who supported him and the program or the institution who gave him the opportunity. (now of course all this is based on that he leaves on his on free will ) When he goes some place else to coach don't you think he would like to say to the kids he is recruiting there that when I make a commitment to you I will do everything I can to make sure that you are in an environment that has a chance to be successful. As a kid I would want to feel like that the coach who recruits me does care about me. So what this comes down to is if the institution cares about the kids and its fans then they should look for a coach of high character who can be successful not just someone who will win at any cost regardless of the carnage left behind - if they do pick someone like that then they deserve whatever happens. As far as the school having an obligation at providing continuity to the program - well that only makes sense since that is in their own best interest. One way a coach can have a hand at making sure a program is well situated after he leaves is to hire assistants who can grow into the head job, after all this is a win win for everybody - the school and the coach as well as the assistants. Now if you are a big time program then you can fend for yourself when the coach leaves but for smaller programs and less successful ones they need to have the option of quality in house people to take over. Did RM try to leave us with options or did it just happen by accident - who knows but right now we have Crews and he was here so you can draw whatever conclusions you want.

Cheeseman, everybody thinks other people think and act as they themselves would. What your post is telling me is that you are a decent person, responsible and willing to spend time and effort to do your job and leave things behind better than you found them. Unfortunately that is not the way it is in the real world, there are all kinds Givers and Takers if you may (to quote Adam Grant's book). These Givers and Takers may not act like you would or in the way you think is correct, they will act in their own way. This is a complex issue. The corporate world is full of Givers and Takers, what makes you think that college athletic departments would be any different? It all boils down to the guy in charge, what kind of a man (or woman) is he, what floats his/her boat, and how does he/she view himself in this world. Crews will be in charge of the basketball team in SLU and will leave a unique Crews stamp behind him, just like Majerus did. I think Crews has a lot in common with the way you think and they way you would act, as reflected in your comment above, that is my opinion not fact. If I am right about Crews in this regard all will be well.

Here's a pipe dream to throw out there. Please don't respond that it will never happen, because I already get it. It's just nice to dream.

Roby (LOI) goes to White Station H.S. in Memphis. His teamate and fellow senior at White Station is Leron Black (6'7", 215), a five star recruit on Rivals that is ranked #22 in the country for 2014. Indiana is one of four schools listed on Rivals as being "high interest" for Black. The others are Baylor, Illinois, and Tennessee. Black has a visit scheduled to Indiana on September 20. I have no idea if CC was/is involved in his recruiting, but it would be a nice present to his new employer if CC could get Black to add a visit to SLU.

Black committed to Illinois yesterday. Committed on his visit there.